Water Methanol injection on a TDI?

aronhk_md

TDI
2000 Jetta
Interesting thread. Use of methanol water injection here puzzles me though. Are folks attempting to get more fuel efficiency with it? More power? Both? Unless you folks are racing I cant imagine wanting to inject except under hard boost, towing etc. If you inject under just normal driving conditions I imagine you'd use up even a large reservoir rather quickly.

I have recently purchased a 2000 jetta tdi. But my experience in meth/water injection is with my 1973 Trans Am, nicknamed The Beast. She makes approx. 1200 hp @ 15 psi on pump gas, is driveable long distance and relatively quiet as a street car, while comfortable with Vintage Air A/C. It has been set up to carve corners and while untested as of yet I am hoping she can come close to hanging in the corners with a C5 vette.

Back to the meth/water injection. She is set up with a progressive system, and usually use the deep winter type windshield washer fluid which contains somewhere between 30-33% methanol. I'm not the only one in the performance world with engines producing north of 1000 hp to be using this simple formula either. Its quite common in fact. Some studies in boosted cars have shown little improvement in performance by increasing the methanol percentage. Others have shown improvement. I think a lot has to do with the specifics of the engine, and it seems the greatest improvement corresponding to greater methanol percentages is in the more pure "race" engines. That is MY interpretation of what I have seen. Other than the color on the tip of the nozzles, I have never had an injection nozzle clog from using washer fluid.

In my experience the methanol/water can do 2 things. 1st.....it cools the intake charge. A byproduct of this is a reduced EGT as well, but the cooled intake charge is more dense. More dense equates to more fuel and O2 in the chamber when combustion occurs. Water and methanol are both capable of doing this, and both have been used over the years, individually as well as together.

2nd.....water is excellent at preventing detonation. Detonation is the enemy of any engine, but especially high compression/turbo engines tuned with highly advanced timing to eek out maximum performance. Many of the race guys use this to advance the timing maximally while avoiding detonation. I have seen the meth/water injection systems fail and engines grenade in a most spectacular manner VERY fast as a result. A lot of modern race fuel injection brains are set up to sense whether the meth/water injection is functioning and if not...they pull timing out.

In my case, I have not concentrated on advancing timing maximally. I do not care whether I make an additional 20 hp, because it is impossible to put to the ground efficiently what the car already makes. Instead, the meth/water is my insurance against some poor quality fuel and possible detonation under boost.

Cant say I noticed any improvement in mileage :D 13 mpg on the highway is IT. lol. Sometime I would like to put an overdrive transmission in her, and then hopefully hit 16-17 mpg.....lol

So back to the VW's...

I can maybe see an increase in power due to a more dense/cooler fuel charge? Are you using it as we do in the gas world to advance timing more? Not sure how you would get greater efficiency (MPG)? Teach me guys, as I really know very little about turbodiesels, and I'm not sure if you guys are racing your cars, or...?

ocshaman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Got the rawtec Delete kit installed with 3" pipe all the way back. Waiting on Malone tune. I also upgraded my No2 kit to progressive solenoid 10-75hp ran off boost cooler ECU. Upgraded methanol tank to 4 gal and 3 nozzles instead of 2 ( one is plumbed into wet no2 kit) I'm estimating 200-230 HP without spray. Well over 300 with N02 and methanol spray.

09 Jetta TDI 2.0 CR
Snow Performance MPG MAX Kit.
Are you sure that the N20 solenoid can handle the frequency of the snow pulses? Also, what size jets are you running on the wet kit?

Actually the second question doesn't matter much unless you have rewired the kit to only pulse a solenoid and keep the pump always on.

Last edited:

extreme202

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Water Methanol Injection

Looking into a water methanol injection system by snow performance.
Has anyone installed one or have any reviews on it?
Already have my car stage 1

ChiTownPilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI + Premium
Looks like quite the expense for 35 hp and 40 lb/ft... And is the 4mpg gain worth it when the methanol fluid is 34$ per gallon? And what do you mean by you already have your car stage 1? I apologize for my lack of knowledge... This is my first diesel and I'm more curious than anything. Thanks.

I'm assuming you are referring to this kit: http://www.snowperformance.net/mpg-max-vw-tdi.html

Last edited:

Bigwhitebeast

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
A lot of people utilize windshield washer fluid which is cheap, also you aren't using 4 mpg of this stuff, it is used rather sparingly.

As for 35 hp, the car is only rated at 200 so it's like a 17.5% increase, for a little bit of water that is quite impressive actually! Now do you want to spend $800 on it is the next question? :eek:

Ckoskie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, 2001 Golf TDI
I have the max-mpg kit installed and I love it! I would not use washer fluid personally but that is just my opinion. I know that there are quite a few members that use cold weather washer fluid.

The dealership will most likely try to void the warrenty. The responce I have given them was:
- please provide me with an exact list of all warrenty services that "Volkswagen Canada (or north american)" will be voiding. Along with this a detailed description and technical data to the reason is required.

Remember if the dealership says your warrenty of void, ask for documentation from VW specifically.

dasAuto12

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI 6mt
I've been debating water-meth for a long time to help combat my extremely high EGTs.. The more I research the more I see that the Banks Straight-Shot kit looks like a better performer, although much less proven due to it being fairly new. About $700 for the kit I believe.

tjdeerslayer37

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi plat gray
I've been debating water-meth for a long time to help combat my extremely high EGTs.. The more I research the more I see that the Banks Straight-Shot kit looks like a better performer, although much less proven due to it being fairly new. About $700 for the kit I believe.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of egts are you seeing? Regular driving or track or big hills?

dasAuto12

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI 6mt
Just out of curiosity, what kind of egts are you seeing? Regular driving or track or big hills?
Normal driving with some spirited driving tossed in. The probe for my gauge is mounted immediately post-turbo, and stays around 6-700 degrees F when I'm driving normally. figure that to be about 1000 degrees F pre-turbo. While logging with VCDS doing hard pulls in 4th and 5th gear, I can climb over 1700 degrees F pre-turbo. The car starts cutting fuel at about 1650 degrees F.

V-Rod

Veteran Member
TDI
2014, 06 Jetta TDI Auto
I have a snow performance water/methanol kit on my 2012 Ram Cummins. Will it give you more power? yes it will. Will you save any money No.
Never would do it again.

Twikky

TDI
2010 Touareg T2 TDI
Hey folks. Just a quick question on the subject of Water meth.
Now there's a buttload of different kits available at all sorts of prices,
What's the main difference between them?
Another question is, adding this system to my car, do i have to re-tune for this? I ask because if it's simple plug & play no re-tune required, i'd be more inclined to buying the cheapest one. Whereas if a re-tune would be advisory, I'd have to go with the one KermaTDI sells because i have the custom chip with them and get free re-tunes if i buy from them...

Janzen96

TDI
2000 golf
Water/methanol injection

Hey everyone, I've been reading up on snow performances water/methanol injection kit and was wondering who's running it in their alh motors, how hard is it to install, and does it really make a difference in lower egt's and fuel mileage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spike_africa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI/w DSG
I don't use their kit. However it's a great mod to keep egt lower, adding some power, and helps clean the intake tract. Also makes the intake charge much cooler and denser. I use the www.coolingmist.com stage 1 diesel kit. Much cheaper then snows kit. I make my own water/meth from either washer fluid and HEET (a water extractor found at any parts store and is almost 100% methanol) and or distilled water and HEET. I use a 50/50 mix and sometimes a 75/25 mix of meth and water.

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
I run a snow Stage 3 and it definitely lowers EGT's. I've found that the higher the %meth the less effective the cooling benefits. As far as improved MPG's I think its debatable. If you do get some MPG improvements do a cost analysis of Fuel price + cost of water meth, I do don't think it comes out your favor. I would not make this your first mod. I would get it after some nozzles and a tune. I have found that it extends oil life. I found that I get 500-1000 miles more between oil changes.

Janzen96

TDI
2000 golf
I have a tune right now, i purchased .216 nozzles but am waiting till i get a better clutch before i install them. If i got the snow kit to lower egt's, would i be able to get a tune that uses the nozzles to their full potential and not worry about my stock vnt15 getting cooked?

JPCF

TDI
1.9TDI Ibiza FR
Did someone knows nice dimentions and materials to make a reservoir for the water/meth mix?

I've seen aluminum but welding aluminum is not my best on weldings :D

V-Rod

Veteran Member
TDI
2014, 06 Jetta TDI Auto
I had water/meth on my 2012 cummins. I had the snow performance mileage/max. I would not do it again for a road vehicle. You don't really save any money. Mehtanol is 4.00 a gallon then you add your water. I got at best .5 mpg better.

I just ordered a 14 cummins, I am taking off the water/meth off my 12 and selling it. That is how much I liked it.

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Did someone knows nice dimentions and materials to make a reservoir for the water/meth mix?
I've seen aluminum but welding aluminum is not my best on weldings :D
Try looking for plasic fuel cans. In the U.S. we have a lot of diffferent shapes and sizes available. Also, try looking for Go-cart fuel cells.

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
I have a tune right now, i purchased .216 nozzles but am waiting till i get a better clutch before i install them. If i got the snow kit to lower egt's, would i be able to get a tune that uses the nozzles to their full potential and not worry about my stock vnt15 getting cooked?
WMI will help clean your entire system. If you set up your tune and hardware correctly you probably won't need the WMI. If your EGT's are getting too high I would make sure that you have a better intercooler or bigger turbo first. It is not a good Idea to rely on WMI to keep them down. If you run out of fluid you may have to baby it until you can fill up again. Although a tune may be able to be set up give you a little more fuel under full boost conditions so at that point you may need it, my guess is that a tuner would not recommend that.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
I've always wondered if driving in really cold temps achieves similar or better results.

I'd assume that when its -30C (or really, anything lower than freezing) that you'd be getting a LOT more cold dense air in the system. Not to mention that the ambient air temp around the exhaust system and turbo would also help to keep them cool.

Has anyone here ever done any tests, measurements in cold weather?

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
I wondered for a long time iff racers that use WMI cool their mixtures for a dragrace un like a fuel cooler. II also wondered What kind of gains thier would be. Well, I got my answer one day. I realized I do it every winter in minnesota. Above 10-25 degrees F. I get light smoke at wide open throttle with WMI. below those temps the smoke is gone. I've never dyno'ed it that way but I feel that if the smoke is going away That the fuel is getting completely buned in the chamber. Can I feel the differance??? No.

JPCF

TDI
1.9TDI Ibiza FR
Try looking for plasic fuel cans. In the U.S. we have a lot of diffferent shapes and sizes available. Also, try looking for Go-cart fuel cells.
The mix doesn't have to be at a certain temperature to operate more efficiently?

I question this because in a water cooled intercooler the water needs to be always fresh to cool the air so the mixture of water/methanol should need to be fresh too and with a plastic can in the car, with the sun banging on the car, the interior will be hot and warm the can, i think :confused:

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
The cooler the temperature of the WM mix the more effective it will be. Unfortunately, the water methanol mix in the tank is usually a slave to the ambient air temperature. It would be a higher temperature through out the day if it is kept in your trunk. If you find a place to mount it out side of the trunk the temperature will a bit cooler. If you park in the shade, even better.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
The specific heat capacity of the WM is insignificant compared to the specific latent heat of vaporization. Meaning: a 10°C (or even 50° for that matter) difference in temp of the liquid WM mixture sitting in a tank is insignificant to letting that mixture evaporate fully in terms of reducing air temperature.

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Meister, teach me more.

So, WMI is in chamber cooling and it doesn't cool the intake charge that much before it reaches the chamber?

So is the reason I get less or no smoke when it gets really cold more due to the fact that the air temp is low and the intercooler (stock SMIC) is getting a much cooler charge through it?

JPCF

TDI
1.9TDI Ibiza FR
Other question i have:

Can i use WMI with nitrous? like 4-port injection of nitrous and dry WMI?

It don't have to be simultaniously but once at the time?

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Yes, you can. The truck guys run them together. Look up diesel power challenge and check out the mods that these trucks have. A lot of the trucks use both together.

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
The specific heat capacity of the WM is insignificant compared to the specific latent heat of vaporization. Meaning: a 10°C (or even 50° for that matter) difference in temp of the liquid WM mixture sitting in a tank is insignificant to letting that mixture evaporate fully in terms of reducing air temperature.
Miester, am I on the right track with this:

So just found some more info on evaporative cooling. Pretty cool stuff no pun intended. So its seems that warmer (not hot) liquid can actually work better. Also, The ambient air temp and relative humidity of the incoming air can have a great effect on the cooling process. So maybe due to the fact that on cold winter days there is not a lot of humidity so the air in the chamber can more effectively evaporate the WM mixture????

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
It is the change in state from liquid to vapor/gas of water that carries off the heat. Methanol is there as an antifreeze. It's latent heat of vaporization is much less than simple water.
In the early 1970's a Corvair budy of my used a water injection system on his turbocharged Corvair to boost his freeway mpg from 16/17 to 23/24. The H20 injection allowed him to change the spark timing curve and spark advance for fuel economy, while the water injection took care of detonation problems.