Dead Turbo

TheGoyimKnow

TDI
2004 Golf
Hi everyone-

Recently picked up an 04 Golf. Shortly after I got it, I felt a loss of power, sort of like the turbo wasn't engaging. Few days later, same sort of thing except now the turbo was making a ??? sound. Not too familiar with diesel engines, but I think it's safe to say the turbo is shot. I'm a college student, and don't have the money to replace it with an OEM turbo that the dealer says is $1500+. What are my options here? Do I just throw in one from eBay until I can afford a higher quality one? I've also seen rebuild kits for >$100.

If anyone is in the Salt Lake City, Utah area and wants to come help me out, I'll gladly pay you. Or, if anyone can recommend an honest shop that won't try and screw me that would be great too. Thanks!

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Have you checked the Trusted Mechanics list?
Seems to be a few in Utah!
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130044

IMO if the car is worth keeping to you, going into ~1k more debt shouldn't faze you. I'd stick with the OEM model like she was born with. Chances are though, that she's just gummed up and might only need a new actuator. Find a TDI guru. Worth your time to get a solid diagnosis!
EDIT: There's also the possibility of vacuum tubes going bad. If you have a boost leak or vacuum leak, it can present like lack of power.
What's your mileage, and do you have an idea of any previous work done?
Also: as a new owner, it's VITAL you know when the last timing belt was put on. If you don't know for sure, you'd best get a new one on ASAP.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
It would be good to verify it is in fact bad, sometimes big pipes can come loose making noises you're not used to hearing.
If you must go cheap, I'd recommend a low mileage, new as possible used one. Rebuilds, ebay, Amazon are a crap shoot.
car-part.com

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
It's very common for the upper boost pipe to come loose from the intake manifold.

The problem is so common that vendors have come up with a fix called "The Doggie Collar."

Maybe you'll get lucky and it's something like that. When it comes loose, the engine will run very poorly, like something is seriously wrong.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
It's almost never the turbo. What these guys have said: boost hoses, vacuum lines, vacuum solenoids, sometimes a sticky anti-shudder valve.

But almost never the turbo.

TheGoyimKnow

TDI
2004 Golf
Have you checked the Trusted Mechanics list?
Seems to be a few in Utah!
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130044

IMO if the car is worth keeping to you, going into ~1k more debt shouldn't faze you. I'd stick with the OEM model like she was born with. Chances are though, that she's just gummed up and might only need a new actuator. Find a TDI guru. Worth your time to get a solid diagnosis!
EDIT: There's also the possibility of vacuum tubes going bad. If you have a boost leak or vacuum leak, it can present like lack of power.
What's your mileage, and do you have an idea of any previous work done?
Also: as a new owner, it's VITAL you know when the last timing belt was put on. If you don't know for sure, you'd best get a new one on ASAP.

Thanks for that list! Very helpful. She's only got 135k miles, and reading others posts about still having their OG turbo at 300k+ miles....I'm optimistic it is something minor. Timing belt was done at 90k!

TheGoyimKnow

TDI
2004 Golf
It would be good to verify it is in fact bad, sometimes big pipes can come loose making noises you're not used to hearing.
If you must go cheap, I'd recommend a low mileage, new as possible used one. Rebuilds, ebay, Amazon are a crap shoot.
car-part.com

Thanks for that website! Lots of great options there. Was always hesitant about the chinese eBay parts.

TheGoyimKnow

TDI
2004 Golf
It's very common for the upper boost pipe to come loose from the intake manifold.

The problem is so common that vendors have come up with a fix called "The Doggie Collar."

Maybe you'll get lucky and it's something like that. When it comes loose, the engine will run very poorly, like something is seriously wrong.

Yes- she really doesn't run well. Sometimes it will shudder while in gear, like she wants to die. Taking her in for some love to someone I found from the list. Maybe I can learn a thing or two as well. Thank you!

TheGoyimKnow

TDI
2004 Golf
It's almost never the turbo. What these guys have said: boost hoses, vacuum lines, vacuum solenoids, sometimes a sticky anti-shudder valve.

But almost never the turbo.

After finishing reading the posts on the 500k club, I was shocked to see how many guys were still rocking their OG turbo...I'm really hoping I don't need to replace mine. She's only got 135k.