Noise at Rear Pass. side wheel, bumpy road

mag1

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, MT6, Platinum Grey; 2000 Jetta GLS, Reflex Silver
Trying to nail down a noise that just started 2 nights ago from the rear pass. side wheel well when driving slow (10-35mph) on a bumpy road. was wondering if its shock/spring/bad rear sway bar bushing. sounds fine on freeway, and relatively smooth roads, no funny handling, no noise when going into a driveway. only had the car 3 weeks and 2 tanks of fuel thru it. (2014 JSW manual tdi, 65K on it)

any easy way to figure it out without starting to swap parts just to swap parts?

warranty is only powertrain.

thanks

andykurz

TDI
shopping
What type of noise? If it is metallic, check that you did not break a coil spring. Just look closely underneath. Mine did that and the broken coil would clank around.

If it is more of a clunk you'll have to start checking bushings and shock

mag1

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, MT6, Platinum Grey; 2000 Jetta GLS, Reflex Silver
A faint metalic noise, sounds kind of like a shield. I actually have an appointment later this week to take it in. My time is limited right now, so I figured to get it to a good import mechanic.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
Check the sway bar end link. Mine had a problem somehow when I replaced shocks and started making an annoying click/clunk. Inexpensive part and very quick and easy to re and re. You will need a 6 mm triple square for the end of the bolt without the nut. Just undo one end of the link on the side that makes the noise, wire any loose parts up so they can't cause a problem and drive around for a while to see if the noise is gone. Without a sway bar the car handles a bit like a Mk IV, no handling problems just a little more roll. I drove like that all winter.