PO380 code on 01 TDI Jetta

bshieldsKC

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 85,000k
I just got back from trying to remove the check engine light on my Jetta but was not successful. I know that the code means that I have a Glow plug/heater circuit electrical fault, I tried removing the harnes and cleaning the plugs with contact cleaner and steel wool. I started up the engine and it came back on in about 30 sec. Just thought I would ask anyone if they had any further advice for me. Thanks.
Brad

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You need to check the resistance of the glowplugs, if one is bad, replace it (or all 4). Then you'll need a scan tool to clear the DTC from the ECU's memory.

If you do NOT find a faulty glow plug, and you've made sure the harness connections are good, you'll likely need to splice in a new harness.

bshieldsKC

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 85,000k
I have a multimeter coming in the mail, I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for the information.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
yea it's usually a glow plug or possibly the harness going south, I know there are many schools of thought about GP replacement, just stating from my own experience in 209k kms I have replaced one with no issues and that was about 120k kms ago. Wasn;t the same make as was in there from what I was told.

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
bshieldsKC said:
I just got back from trying to remove the check engine light on my Jetta but was not successful. I know that the code means that I have a Glow plug/heater circuit electrical fault, I tried removing the harnes and cleaning the plugs with contact cleaner and steel wool. I started up the engine and it came back on in about 30 sec. Just thought I would ask anyone if they had any further advice for me. Thanks.
Brad
Did you clear the code after cleaning ?? If you didn't the check engine light will stay on forever ....