03 TDI lots done no MPG!

KCCats

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jeta Wagon
Update.
New head gasket and studs, that problem is solved, no more over heating! Thanx!
Did have the drilled rotors turned and a wheel bearing replaced. All seems good.
Im at 38mpg!
I did logs and Mark said the turbo is over boosting a little, to lengthen the turbo
Activator rod about 3 turns.
That's my next step.
Is there something Im missing?

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
about 7 MPG

Setting the injection quantity to tailor it to the nozzles is first done at the injection pump and then tweeked in by the ECU. You will need VCDS to know what it is and do any adaptation.

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
What RPMs are you turning at 60mph? I'm wondering whether your transmission is the source of your muted MPGs (hat tip to Tdijarhead in another thread for addressing this with someone else's low MPGs).

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nice I will have to see where the values are? Will they be different from the tune?
Im about 2k at 60.

Well, then, it's NOT gearing!:D That could have been a bit messy to resolve!

I'm scratching my head as to whether a (roughly) 20% drop in fuel mileage could exist in the form of an improperly set IQ w/o it being obvious signs: crappy cold starts; lots of smoke and so on.

It is necessary to hammer-mod first rather than adjust via VCDS? I suppose that hammer-moding could/would address static/starting conditions, but after that point as long as the IQ can be achieved via ECU then there really wouldn't be a need to hammer-mod, yes?

What are your MAF readings like? (I went back and re-read this thread and didn't spot any mention.)

KCCats

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jeta Wagon
It starts good, but there is a lot of smoke on start up (white) and black smoke when I take off and shift.
I did do the logs and Mark did not mention anything about the MAF?
Just a bit of over boost and to lengthen the turbo arm 3 turns or so?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Pretty much sounds like over-fueling (or under-airing?).

Did Mark state that you'd need to hammer-mod it? I'm working on going with a milder tune and have been told by the vendor that it's not likely I need to hammer-mod. Anyway, as others have mentioned, this is likely the correct path for getting to the source of your issue.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nope, I wonder if He can see it in the logs?
Well, that would assume that the data is there for him to see. And, I suppose that anyone can have a bad day.:(

Don't know what others would say/do, but I'd look to opt for doing the "easy" first, doing the IQ mod via adaptation (in VCDS); if that doesn't work then perhaps: 1) it doesn't get you enough range; 2) it's not the right thing to make the necessary change to your IQ issue; 3) it's not an IQ issue:eek: But, as I mentioned, it's pretty quick and easy to try and see what adjusting through VCDS might do: if it seems to have an effect then you'll know you're on the right track, after which it then might be necessary to hammer-mod it.

Keep in mind that I've never done the hammer-mod. I'm here for educational purposes:D

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Will lengthening the turbo actuator rod help with my below 2k lag?
How about the mileage?
I'm just guessing here, but I'd think that if you were adjusted short that you'd likely have slop, and that slop would mean that it would take a bit before you started actual engagement. So, yes, I'm thinking that it's worth checking out.

Mileage? I don't think that you have to move the rod That much!:D More go-pedal = reduced fuel mileage: ScanGauge or UltraGauge is a nice tool to have if you want to see how your input affects mileage.

Mat_S

TDI
2003 ALH Golf
Just tossing this out here since you're just getting back to low end power... are your turbo vanes operating properly? Is your vacuum supply enough? You'll be a dog at low RPM if you're vanes are stuck and it will rip up and around 3000rpm depending on where they're stuck. Pull the vacuum line off, get 25" vacuum and make sure the lever is moving completely and smoothly. Start simple.

KCCats

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jeta Wagon
Havent had time yet to check anything.
But I have another question.
Which stage of Malone Tunes would give me the Best fuel mileage?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Havent had time yet to check anything.
But I have another question.
Which stage of Malone Tunes would give me the Best fuel mileage?
OK, you asked...

My research seems to suggest that nozzles can make a big difference when combined with a tune. Nozzles wear out: newer ones (DLCs) are likely to hold up better than what was stock on these engines. I was all over the place on nozzle selection and finally settled on DLC520s; these can function even with a Stage 3 Malone tune, though wouldn't be able to support a larger turbo: I'm not going to go with a larger turbo as I like the smoothness of the VNT15, and, well, I'm more on the fuel mileage side of the fence. Eventually I want to go with, and stop at, the Malone 2 tune: figure this will give me the best balance of additional power and fuel mileage capabilities. I'll note here that I have two cars and that I aim to outfit them identically so that they can be swapped between my wife and I.

JETaah

TDI
If the IQ is .09-1.2 you are fueling way too heavily. Must be shuddering at idle.

With DLC 520's you should have an IQ around 5.0+

Go back to hammer-mod instructions to correct.

Last edited:

JETaah

TDI
I think he said earlier that he had the next size over the 520s

Last edited:

JETaah

TDI
Ah....could be. More likely that they are.
I slipped with my decimal point

If they are from group 13 then they look pretty good.

Last edited: