www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old November 27th, 2017, 19:42   #1
Lloydw

Fuel Economy: 40
Default I changed fuel filter Problems no start.

2005 Passat PD BHW I changed fuel filter, I did not fill with fuel, big mistake. I started it and it ran 2 minutes checked for leaks none. turn off key. cleaned up. tried to restart, no start. cycled sw 8 times. no start. connected VCDS Basic setting group 035 turn on the fuel pump cycled it 8 times. cranked no start. cranked 20 seconds and STOP appeared on dash. oil pressure I think? it wasn't on long enough to read. can I verify fuel thru injectors with VCDS while cranking? no trouble codes. It has always started in the first 3 seconds of cranking in the past. I just changed oil and started it up and ran for 5 minutes checking for leaks. Installed skid plate. then changed fuel filter. Could I have washed down the cylinder with fuel and lost compression?
Thanks for the help. Lloyd
Lloydw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 19:52   #2
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

You passed a slug of air through the injectors by not prefilling the fuel filter canister. I've done the same with my old 2005 Passat BHW.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 20:34   #3
afarfalla
Veteran Member

^^^^you did what he said, jump another battery to yours for more cranking power, now crank 5 seconds, let it sit 5 seconds, about the 5th cycle it should start
afarfalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 20:35   #4
Lloydw

I will never do that again. what did you do to get it started?
Old November 27th, 2017, 20:45   #5
afarfalla
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydw View Post
I will never do that again. what did you do to get it started?

read #3
afarfalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 21:02   #6
aja8888
Veteran Member

Keep cranking, but let the starter cool between times.
Old November 28th, 2017, 11:55   #7
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

On mine, I cycled the key a few times to run the in tank pump, then cranked for 15 seconds, then cycled the key a few times more, allowed starter to cool for 3 min, and restarted the cycle. 3-4 times and it started.

Eventually the air will purge.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2017, 17:53   #8
Lloydw

I first removed the hose off of fuel filter from tank. Powered up VCDS group 35 fuel pump. Lots of fuel flow into jug. then removed the return hose from engine to Temp Tee. inserted in jug. cycled pump 60 sec about 10 times. got lots of air. but very little fuel flow. cranked engine several times, long, about 30 sec. STOP eng oil pressure. on dash come on. only comes on after long crank. Is that normal? I've never had that happen. I do not get any diesel smell from exhaust. Passat ran fine after oil change. ran 2 minutes after I installed dry fuel filter. I turn key off to get cleaned up and it did not restart. Is there any thing I can check with VCDS during cranking? I installed new Tandem pump week before but drove 200 miles before oil change. Am I missing something? Thanks for all the help. Lloyd
Old November 29th, 2017, 03:51   #9
Lloydw

Tonight I'll check to see if I have a crank signal from crank sensor. What group or groups to use? I know the timing belt is good. What injector information can I look for during cranking? Group ? Thanks Lloyd
Old November 29th, 2017, 05:31   #10
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

When in doubt - check what you messed with.

Don't over complicate things - remove the air from the fuel system before embarking on any other diagnostics.

Is there any fuel in the tank?

Seriously though - you need to ensure that fuel is getting to the tandem pump. if you connect all lines, but pull the t-stat tee off the top of the fuel filter, is there fuel to the top of the hole where the tee normally sits? if not, there is still air getting into the tandem pump.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!

Last edited by Windex; November 29th, 2017 at 05:33.
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2017, 19:50   #11
Lloydw

The problem is Me, fuel flow is from rear tank to fuel filter, out filter to Tandem top hose, return from engine thru Tandem lower hose, to Temp Tee connector, thru Tee to return tank. I failed to replace the return hose from engine to Tee, and hose to Tandem was reversed. I was trying to push fuel backwards thru Tandem pump. I think there are check valves in Tandem pump. Smart Phone pictures saved the day. I failed to look when replacing hoses. I cycled pump 10 times with VCDS and cranked about 20 seconds and it started. no codes after 10 mile test drive. It's back to 40 MPG. Thanks for all the help. The man in the mirror loosing it. Thanks Lloyd
Old November 29th, 2017, 20:10   #12
aja8888
Veteran Member

Quote:
The problem is Me, fuel flow is from rear tank to fuel filter, out filter to Tandem top hose, return from engine thru Tandem lower hose, to Temp Tee connector, thru Tee to return tank. I failed to replace the return hose from engine to Tee, and hose to Tandem was reversed. I was trying to push fuel backwards thru Tandem pump. I think there are check valves in Tandem pump. Smart Phone pictures saved the day. I failed to look when replacing hoses. I cycled pump 10 times with VCDS and cranked about 20 seconds and it started. no codes after 10 mile test drive. It's back to 40 MPG. Thanks for all the help. The man in the mirror loosing it. Thanks Lloyd
Glad you got it figured out. Don't feel bad about the hose mixup as we all have those moments. Nothing like a cell phone picture to help figure it out. I use mine all the time when taking something apart.
Old November 30th, 2017, 04:10   #13
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Glad you got it figured out. Don't feel bad about the hose mixup as we all have those moments. Nothing like a cell phone picture to help figure it out. I use mine all the time when taking something apart.

Those cameras are an indispensable tool when pulling stuff apart.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2017, 05:00   #14
whitedog
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdijarhead View Post
Those cameras are an indispensable tool when pulling stuff apart.
Took probably 100 pictures when swapping Duramax long blocks. Every time I would remove a layer, I would go around the engine taking pictures and I referred to them alot on reassembly.
Old December 2nd, 2017, 08:39   #15
owr084
Veteran Member

Been there, did that many years ago. I didn't notice that the intake and outtake hoses are each coded with a different color strip.

Quote: