www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old November 13th, 2017, 08:55   #1
BBB129

Fuel Economy: Average 45 mpg, often pull a light trailer best tank 53+ worst tank low 30's Towing
Default B5 w/245K head rebuilt..?signs of Balance shaft work? major concerns?

So im looking at getting a B5 which seems to have been kept well. The torque converter is bad i guess but thats a whole different thing....
What Im wondering, Is there a way I would be able to tell if the Balance shaft module has been replaced/repaired, Should this be a major concern of mine on a tdi with 245k?
The Head has been rebuilt. Should i assume ( i know i shouldn't) that doing a head job they would take care of any other serious issues? What are other potential issues. Sorry i have been reading and searching A lot but I think i may be search handicapped.....
The timing belt, trans and head have all been redone in the last 40k.......according to them, and they claim to have paperwork

Thanks for any guidance! Im much more familiar with the 1.9L ALH/BEW
BBB129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2017, 16:58   #2
Jake Brake
Veteran Member

look on your paper work to see if the camshaft was checked or replaced. make sure you use the proper oil or it will mess up the cam.

The balancer is another problem spot on these engines. I think most are doing a delete kit because of expense, I did. With that many miles it probably had it done. Make sure before you run it much. The balancer can go and it drives the oil pump.
Jake Brake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2017, 06:46   #3
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

There is no way to tell for sure that the BSM has been deleted or replaced, unless the OP has pictures and receipts, or you pull the pan off and inspect.

I suppose you could drain the oil and go in with a borescope camera. They are cheap enough these days.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2017, 09:02   #4
Smokerr
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5/32/28

At 245k the BM/OP module is your prime concern.

Having inspected the chain form mine, its so far out of the norm (no rollers, just a fixed pin) that I no longer believe in fine German engineering.

I have never even seen a non roller chain before, bicycles don't even use that crude a system.

Replaced head only deals with a specific head issue.

Like any car with that many miles its going to have other problems, so overall its impossible to say without the records.

If the TC is gone, that's a pretty costly issue by itself.

Items to look for and ask about would be trany fluid change (that should be changed every 60k or so, ergo, may be one reason TC is gone and the trany can't be known ).

Last edited by Smokerr; November 20th, 2017 at 09:06.
Smokerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2017, 11:16   #5
duteman2
Veteran Member

Default Lots to beware of here...

...unless you are getting it really cheap... like, 2-300 bucks. The Transmissions are really expensive to repair/replace, ($$$) making this car a perfect candidate for a manual swap. ($$) the head job likely came with a cam but not always, cams are a weak point ($), you could tell by examining the paperwork and hoping it's honest. The Balance shaft job is essential at this mileage, whether you delete or gear drive it. ($$) and ($$$). Once you do that, it'a a damn nice package! What a car! I did essentially all that stuff and LOVE the car... and while you are having the computer hacked to forget about the automatic transmission might as well get a Stage II tune. So, depending on what you've paid for the car, it's overall condition, body, interior and whatnot... you MIGHT be into it for a reasonable cost. It was worth it... TO ME... YMMV.
duteman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 12:22   #6
imo000
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
.......I suppose you could drain the oil and go in with a borescope camera. They are cheap enough these days.

Borescopes are cool as long as you know what you are looking for. Otherwise might as well don't even try it.
imo000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 17:16   #7
QuickTD
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imo000 View Post
Borescopes are cool as long as you know what you are looking for. Otherwise might as well don't even try it.
Maybe, but you could see the difference between a gear and a chain. You could also spot the absence of a 20lb block of cast iron in a deleted car. I have a cheap crappy tire flexible camera scope. I use it quite a bit. It sucks, but it could easily identify a chained, geared or deleted balance module via the drain plug.
QuickTD is online now   Reply With Quote