Who has a highly modified Passat?

GASDAG

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5MT Sedan Silver, 2004 GMC Sierra i.e. no need for a wagon
I'm considering picking up a 2015 Passat SE manual. I'd like to see anyone's build threads with Stage 2-3+ in their manual passats. Could be 2012-current, though I am specifically considering 2015's as they are what is available.
Just looking to see what parts and pictures, what have they done, what power and mpg have they made etc. Really no way to search for this other than paging through hundreds of threads.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
The 15 had the new EA288 engine. I believe others have stated that there were tunes for the Audi and maybe Skoda that used this engine earlier than VW adopted it in the Passat.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I believe there is plenty of room for a larger turbo, the CR190, Malone has support for the stage 3. Soon as you get into the real power levels, you're going to have to look for a clutch and flywheel upgrade.

We just have stage 2 as its a simple flash.

GASDAG

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5MT Sedan Silver, 2004 GMC Sierra i.e. no need for a wagon
thanks, that's what I'm looking for. Who has upgraded the turbo, clutch, axles etc? Don't seem to see any build threads for big power Passats.
I have done all this on my mk4 but I want a bigger more comfortable car and just can't deny how much I enjoy a manual diesel.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The days of mods like we were able to do on the MKIV cars are, sadly, over. I'm not sure anyone has upgraded hardware on the EA288 in the '15 Passat as yet. Tunes are available that should get you 180/300, nice power bump. And I'm sure it's only a matter of time before DPF deletes are available, but I'm not sure they are yet.

Keep in mind that these cars are far more complex than your ALH and don't respond well to individual component upgrades. And you'll have to potentially deal with issues with state inspection and emissions readiness, either now or in the future.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
We've stopped tuning the CR190 setups as that turbo has proven to be a pain to work with and has disappointing gains for the money involved. A fair number of them have boost control issues, yet others run fine. For the ~25-30WHP gain over the stock unit, and considering drivetrain upgrades for manuals are also needed, it's not really worth the upgrade. We'll of course still support our existing customers on this setup, but the time invested custom tuning each new tune is being suspended for the time being so we can focus on other products.

DPF deletes have been available for a long time now, rawtek also has pipes on the market, they're also required for big turbo swaps. Have also worked with 2260 and similar sized turbos, but again that's a fairly involved swap. Stage 2 is the sensible option. Deletes often result in 10% or so gains in fuel economy and lower EMP/EGT. They are for race use and will not pass any forms of emissions testing.

What's listed on the site and what can possibly be tuned are usually two different things. Tdtuning, rocketchip and malone do case by case custom tuning for modified applications, not sure how much ea288 exposure they have though.

I'd be looking at a single mass clutch kit + fluidampr, aftermarket boost and EGT gauge before considering a turbo upgrade.

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Owain, I hope that I am reading your comment right.
You are only discontinuing that particular turbo tuning, but a 2015 stock turbo will still be done. Stage 1 or stage 2.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Correct, we tune all North American German brand diesels at this point (Albeit some of the brand new bmw/mercedes stuff needs a bit of custom work at times). Because of the diversity we've been putting time into other platforms and for the time being are not taking on anymore CR190 tunes. If someone has a kit sitting around that they were going to install, is a bit upset about that and has VCDS, I'm sure we could work something out; but the general answer is no, we will not be supporting CR 190 turbo upgrades for the time being. Not sure if this is a QC/supplier issue given the low volume, but unfortunately that turbo has proven to be very time consuming.

Last edited:

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=399183&page=18

My build is post #1437 on a 2012 6mt. Used a CR170 oval port and had it tuned for stage 3.5. Used a Sachs SRE Performance clutch and stock flywheel. The dual mass flywheel was ready to come apart after about 80000 hard miles running stage 3.5 with lots of highway driving. Some transmissions (my Passat and one other I know of for sure) have steel synchros and they are not compatible with a solid flywheel like the brass ones and will break the locking tabs off requiring transmission rebuild. I did it. Twice. They can't handle the vibration like the brass ones that Jettas apparently have.

The turbo is not avaliable as a kit. I did lots of research on part numbers to determine what parts would work together.

Last edited:

bigmackmiller

TDI
none
If I was to buy a CR190 kit from AArodriguez there would be no tuning available? Shows them still listed on his site, what kind of $ would one get into with a 2260 kit?