Disabling the NOx sensor?

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Semi permanent and for off road use only right. Both equal the same thing. Why people gotta skate around these discussions always make me laugh.

The first response nailed it. Disabling a sensor intended to help keep everything working is a bad idea unless all said equipment is also removed. Doing anything will require a software retune. Vcds cant do it.

Last edited:

sammyg

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
Kerma and Malone both see gains in mpg with tunes with the emissions intact. I was reading something today on a diesel truck forum about someone drilling out their dpf and blocking their egr and running a tune with the emissions system deleted. Obviously for street legality purposes you would need to put a complete dpf on for functionality but at first glance it would look complete.

A tune can be done through your obd2 port with a flashzilla and the associated software. No need to go to a tuner shop and you can store your stock tune and go back to it at anytime.

physicshogon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Kerma and Malone both see gains in mpg with tunes with the emissions intact. I was reading something today on a diesel truck forum about someone drilling out their dpf and blocking their egr and running a tune with the emissions system deleted. Obviously for street legality purposes you would need to put a complete dpf on for functionality but at first glance it would look complete.

A tune can be done through your obd2 port with a flashzilla and the associated software. No need to go to a tuner shop and you can store your stock tune and go back to it at anytime.
So how would I get set up to do the aforementioned work myself?

kyledooley

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
The NOx sensor does nothing for the DPF. It is for the SCR catalyst (the part that uses the AdBlue to regenerate). It measures the efficiency of the NOx catalyst and tells the car when to shoot more urea in to regenerate it. (If you come from gasoline car land, the NOx sensor would appear to be the downstream O2 sensor, because it's the last sensor after all the cats)

The DPF, on the other hand, uses the exhaust pressure sensor (G505) and differential pressure sensor (G450) to measure the flow efficiency of the particulate filter.

Your conundrum is still valid (if you take parts out, you need a tune to "ignore" the sensors in question) I just wanted to add some clarity to the discussion.

physicshogon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
The NOx sensor does nothing for the DPF. It is for the SCR catalyst (the part that uses the AdBlue to regenerate). It measures the efficiency of the NOx catalyst and tells the car when to shoot more urea in to regenerate it. (If you come from gasoline car land, the NOx sensor would appear to be the downstream O2 sensor, because it's the last sensor after all the cats)

The DPF, on the other hand, uses the exhaust pressure sensor (G505) and differential pressure sensor (G450) to measure the flow efficiency of the particulate filter.

Your conundrum is still valid (if you take parts out, you need a tune to "ignore" the sensors in question) I just wanted to add some clarity to the discussion.
Thank you for clearing this up b/c I had no idea!