New Car, Faulty NOx Sensor

13PassatTDISE

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Last week I picked up a new Passat TDI (2013 leftover) and on my first day with the car and only 93 miles, the check engine light came on. I brought it back to the dealer who informed me the NOx senor was bad and that I would need a new one. Is this a common problem and can I expect more issue with the car down the road? Is it possible that it went bad from sitting for too long and not being used?

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Typically an electronic device will fail (if it's going to fail) very quickly. Once past that initial hour or so, then the rate of failure dips to a very low level. I suspect that your sensor was just one of those somewhat rare components destined to give up early in life.

baddowg

TDI
2013 passat TDI SEL
Last week I picked up a new Passat TDI (2013 leftover) and on my first day with the car and only 93 miles, the check engine light came on. I brought it back to the dealer who informed me the NOx senor was bad and that I would need a new one. Is this a common problem and can I expect more issue with the car down the road? Is it possible that it went bad from sitting for too long and not being used?
My NOX module shorted out yesterday, $700 later it's fixed. Can't complain after 87k miles it's the first thing to go bad

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
i think the nox or the exhaust flap wiring connection sealing was the subject of the recall lately on the passat , might be something to look at on anyones car what is throwing the code

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Not on the 13's been down that road, still have the light on... for over a year. Someday i'll find a wrecked car with one on it and replace then. Till then i can handle a light and no effect in mileage....

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
Nice welcome statement to a newbee to the TDI club Lightflyer1.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
That wasn't his point— but I think you know that. In case it's not clear: it was about multiple posts, not a welcome statement. And it was perfectly appropriate.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
on the flip side whenever I buy a new rig and join a forum its such a time vampire to search threw threads- lucky for me the guys vwdieselparts and dieseltruckresource are always super nice :D

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Look at the date.... this is an old post resurrected. If (back in the day) two or three posts showed up in a line all about the same problem, i would have answered one and said this in the other two as well...

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
I stand corrected, didn't look at the date. So why does it say Newbie under his name seeing as this is an old post? Just wondering and I should have looked closer though. Thanks everyone for straightening me out.