www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old November 16th, 2017, 12:22   #31
TDI Owner/Operator

I forgot to to mention that while my Jetta was totaled I bought it back and the title remained clean - was NOT changed to a salvage title. When I sold it to my friend he got my clean title and got his new title with no problems.

This is in Indiana - OP is in Wisconsin so insurance company and title handling may work differently. All my insurance wanted me to do was email them a copy of the title - I always retained possession of the original title until I handed it to my friend as part of the transfer.
251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2017, 06:33   #32
TDI Owner/Operator

So leicaman - did you decide to fix or move on?
Old November 20th, 2017, 18:29   #33
leicaman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Much better than the average car... :o)

Verdict is out. I am waiting patiently. The person at the insurance company was out today, so I may know more on Tuesday. I had to submit my receipts for the recent part replacements on the car. They got them Friday. I had front brakes, filter items and a MAF recently. They also wanted stuff from 2015. Oh boy they then got the suspension receipts (complete refresh) and rear brakes. I am just waiting. The old girl sits in my garage.
Old November 21st, 2017, 14:28   #34
leicaman
Veteran Member

Well after serious thought. I have decided to total the car. The insurance company came up with a nice number. I truly need a car that has lower miles. It was getting close to a timing belt replacement which was a bonus, plus I needed to invest in tires. I am thinking of a 2015 golf TDI or 1.8t. Are DSG transmissions better these days, or should I opt for a manual if I find one? The old girl let my family see the alot of places we've never thought we would see. We went to Canada, Niagra Falls, the Badlands, St. Louis and several times to Des Moines among other places. It will hold fond memories, but things have time and place. I have never driven any car over 200,000 miles. I would have liked to have gone longer, but my better half says I deserve a newer car. Many times it is good to listen to your mate.
Old November 21st, 2017, 14:45   #35
fastcar4re
Veteran Member

Your reasoning is sound in my opinion, as I just went through the same thing (same vehicle also as I posted above). My wife and I had 13 years of Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Louisiana road trips. I loved hearing that diesel clatter at every opportunity. To answer your DSG question, I don't know if they are better or not, but I like the DSG that is in my 2015 Jetta TDI DSG, although I would prefer a manual (I think, at least until all my Houston driving gets to be a left leg hassle, which would be a certainty). I can't speak to DSG durability.
fastcar4re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2017, 15:12   #36
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Is there any possibility of getting it and selling it? That car is barely broken in, and I am 100% confident that I could make it last longer than anything you could buy new at a Volkswagen dealer today, even with its 200k mile head start.
Old November 21st, 2017, 16:26   #37
leicaman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Is there any possibility of getting it and selling it? That car is barely broken in, and I am 100% confident that I could make it last longer than anything you could buy new at a Volkswagen dealer today, even with its 200k mile head start.
The problem is the dang deer. You know I could get it all fixed up again and then another deer would likely kiss it. I am going to take the money and run. I would rather get something a little newer and different. Hey I might even looking into a 335d.

I will keep you all posted.
Old November 22nd, 2017, 11:10   #38
blazen71
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36.6mpg

Get the 335D and check this out:
http://www.fixmyvw.com/blog/bmw-dies...t-on-a-budget/
Old November 23rd, 2017, 07:49   #39
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Don't know. I just feed it and drive.

I'm going by your house today. My offer is cash, a smoked turkey and a pumpkin cheesecake
Old November 24th, 2017, 10:55   #40
whizznbyu
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2005 Variant
Fuel Economy: 44 mpg @ 70 MPH. 46 mpg @ 55 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicaman View Post
Well after serious thought. I have decided to total the car. The insurance company came up with a nice number.
It would be nice to get some inside info on where the car goes after the insurance man flatbeds it out of your hands. As I understand it, the insurance company has a place it takes the car to and it gets auctioned off.
whizznbyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2017, 11:35   #41
leicaman
Veteran Member

Company is co-part I believe.

https://www.copart.com/todaysAuction...RoCRdwQAvD_BwE
Old November 30th, 2017, 21:24   #42
leicaman
Veteran Member

Here is the car's successor. I won't call it a replacement as there is nothing like that car was. It was a great car and we had tons of memories from it. This car will make new memories.

Old December 1st, 2017, 05:50   #43
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Don't know. I just feed it and drive.

Very nice. Did you get the almost till the end of time warranty with it ?
Old December 1st, 2017, 06:37   #44
TDI Owner/Operator

Congratulations on the new ride and best of luck with same!
Old December 1st, 2017, 07:00   #45
leicaman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitGTI View Post
Very nice. Did you get the almost till the end of time warranty with it ?
Yes I did, according to what I read. I also got a bumper to bumper warranty for 100k from the dealer with the vehicle. My daughter got the same with her gasser jetta from the same dealer last year.

Now that it is all said and done, my wife and I did shed a few tears when the B5.5 went on the flatbed for its ride to copart. It was a good run. It was really good on fuel. On a trip I almost always, providing cruise was used on the freeway and so forth, I would get between 40 and 41 mpg (hand calcluated). In the end I had the original transmission (which needed another fluid change), and the original cam. The first 70k was pretty much all highway. The rest was a good mix of semi-daily cruising for photos (ie 2 three hours driving around finding photos) and highway. I am for certain positive, that this car would be still running had the dumb deer not been in my path. It is only because of this online club that I really had as few problems as I did. Knowledge is so key here.

I replaced the following in the 208,000 miles I drove it:
1. balance shaft by oilhammer at 57k
2. two timing belts
3. suspension bits. Control arms and shocks
4. I think five sets of tires (had a few blowouts).
5. A MAF
6. Relay 219
7. cabin heating fan motor.
8. Two alternator clutch pulleys (had original alternator and starter on it at end).
9. Two sets of brakes, pads and rotors. One rear caliper.
10. 1 Thermostatic T
11. Other such things as per schedule.

Oil? I used Castrol TXT for the first 60,000 miles (5w40 and one change with 5w30 Castrol Professional OE).
Then Pentosin HP2. For the last 108,000 miles (that is really amazing), I used nothing but Castrol Turbo Diesel Edge 5w40 oil (505.01). My OCI was the factory 10k, except the first oil change, which was 5k as per the book.

Additives? Powerservice and Stanadyne in the winter. I used Lucas Fuel treatment in the summer months.

I hope my golf does as well.

Last edited by leicaman; December 2nd, 2017 at 07:13. Reason: to ad a coda
leicaman is offline   Reply With Quote