Oil from crankcase vent?

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE 6MT (sold), 2015 Passat TDI SEL, 1992 Dodge W-250 Cummins, 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
I'm thinking this is the crankcase vent? I saw that the outside had a thin layer of oil on the outside and pulled the hose off. The inside is coated in oil too, which looks like it connects to the intake hose that comes from the air filter to the turbo. Should this have oil in it? Car only has 38,000 miles and they did the software fix in January. Anyone elses car looks like this? The hose is held on by a plastic clamp that you push together to pop it off.

Last edited:

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Normal. Any engine will do that regardless of miles. Crankcase vent is for oil vapors that will condense like this photo. Until oil consumption goes up, I wouldn't worry about it.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I have an oil separator on my shelf. it separates the engine oils and automotive fluids from the yard chemicals and small garden tools.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Alway seems no matter what, one always gets back with a smart ass remark.
Like I said an oil separate placed in the PCV line if you have room to install. There are different makes/brands out there in different sizes. ECS Tuning have 2 different sizes of them. I would like to install one on my 2015. I had one back when on my 2001 Jetta TDI and saves all the crap going through the intake system and then through to the exhaust etc. It is something to worry about as the vapors mix with the exhaust soot and plug up the intake and big problem like loss of power, hard starts and so on. People baby their TDI's for fuel mileage and that makes things worse. Put the pedal to the metal once or twice a day. Diesel are made to run/worked and not babyied.

Last edited:

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Clogging from soot and crankcase vapor is no longer a factor on diesels with DPFs. On your ALH, yes. On this CVCA, no.

Do what you want with your car, but it's entirely unnecessary...

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
There is already an over-complicated oil separator built into the valve cover of the EA288. The oil is normal, though one might think it'd be less with the setup they're using. I just recently had mine off, drove ~40 miles doing some datalogging with full boost pulls throughout and had a decent film of oil on the turbo intake in just that short of a period.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Alway seems no matter what, one always gets back with a smart ass remark.
Sorry, I was just answering the suggestion in a way that reflected the validity of the sugestion. Actually an air/oil separator is a fix looking for a problem that doesn't exist.

This guy just responded in a more somber way.
Clogging from soot and crankcase vapor is no longer a factor on diesels with DPFs. On your ALH, yes. On this CVCA, no.

Do what you want with your car, but it's entirely unnecessary...

Last edited: