Oil level

doctor_vai

TDI
2.0 150hp
Hello,

So this dumbass dealer apparently did more than topping off the oil level on my new 2016 Golf TDI 150 SE.

I know the oil level should be measured with an engine at operating temperature but this was taken with a cold engine... so the level should be low except : see image

I am now with a 1000 miles on the car. So I think damage was done by now.

What I don't understand is why the oil level warning light didn't come up !

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nCnGvGYd7wKALs7q2

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
So the dealer is a dumbass because you don't know how to read a dipstick? :confused:

doctor_vai

TDI
2.0 150hp
How is it that I can't read the dipstick ?

Believe me it's not the first issue I am dealing with because of their incompetence.

VwPassion

Veteran Member
TDI
Polo 1.2 Tdi '13
The engine must be almost hot for check oil level. But should wait a few mins according the manual for the most oil return to sump but still the oil is not cool . Now if VW allow us to have as max the upper limit of xxxx at dipstick while hot ,that means that must be at least 0.5 liter more in engine because not possible ( at any car )for whole oil quantity to return to sump . If the oil cold is at max point , you have less oil because when get hot and engine running , alot oil will be used from engine while running and for that is removed from dipstick level .

Edit : Bring engine to operating temp. Let it idle for 2-3 mins . Shut it off and wait 2-3 mins . If oil is near the upper limit of xxxx at dipstick ,you are ok . If higher than max allowed mark , remove the extra quantity .

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
A double POX on VW

.... Times 10

The dip stix is dark (black?) and regardless what color the oil is...

... hard to see.

doctor_vai

TDI
2.0 150hp
The engine must be almost hot for check oil level. But should wait a few mins according the manual for the most oil return to sump but still the oil is not cool . Now if VW allow us to have as max the upper limit of xxxx at dipstick while hot ,that means that must be at least 0.5 liter more in engine because not possible ( at any car )for whole oil quantity to return to sump . If the oil cold is at max point , you have less oil because when get hot and engine running , alot oil will be used from engine while running and for that is removed from dipstick level .

Edit : Bring engine to operating temp. Let it idle for 2-3 mins . Shut it off and wait 2-3 mins . If oil is near the upper limit of xxxx at dipstick ,you are ok . If higher than max allowed mark , remove the extra quantity .
Thank you,

I'll do it that way later on tonight. The fact of the matter is oil expand, that being said, the hot level will be much higher than the cold one.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Remove dipstick. Dry thoroughly. Insert dipstick. Remove, and ROLL the dipstick on the paper towel to get an accurate reading.

Sounds like I'm lecturing you, and I guess I am. You should have checked the oil level prior to driving 1000 miles.

doctor vai: COLD level will be HIGHER than hot level, because all of the oil will have drained into the sump. That is my experience, after 45 years of auto ownership. I always check oil levels cold AND hot, then I know what I'm looking for when checking oil level.

doctor_vai

TDI
2.0 150hp
Remove dipstick. Dry thoroughly. Insert dipstick. Remove, and ROLL the dipstick on the paper towel to get an accurate reading.

Sounds like I'm lecturing you, and I guess I am. You should have checked the oil level prior to driving 1000 miles.

doctor vai: COLD level will be HIGHER than hot level, because all of the oil will have drained into the sump. That is my experience, after 45 years of auto ownership. I always check oil levels cold AND hot, then I know what I'm looking for when checking oil level.
Thank you for the advice.

It happens that's what I did to the letter and the result is in the image I posted above. I did check the engine oil when I first got the car, probably because of the color of the oil then, it wasn't very easy to read and I thought that if level was high the warning will come up... but it didn't so I thought it's fine until I checked yesterday. I will check later with a warm engine and report back.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Thank you for the advice.
It happens that's what I did to the letter and the result is in the image I posted above. I did check the engine oil when I first got the car, probably because of the color of the oil then, it wasn't very easy to read and I thought that if level was high the warning will come up... but it didn't so I thought it's fine until I checked yesterday. I will check later with a warm engine and report back.
Interesting. The reason I explained ROLLING on the flat paper towel was that I can't SEE that you did that. I would expect the stain from the oil would be the size of a postage stamp, and the dipstick would be dry. Your photo shows neither!???

doctor_vai

TDI
2.0 150hp
Interesting. The reason I explained ROLLING on the flat paper towel was that I can't SEE that you did that. I would expect the stain from the oil would be the size of a postage stamp, and the dipstick would be dry. Your photo shows neither!???
Oh that I didn't do. I'll report back.

Thank you

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
In the interest of being proactive, I listed below the EXACT steps I use and have ALWAYS had accurate results. I know it seems a little anal, but try it. Works for me with how crappy Dub dipsticks are designed.

Always check the engine when it is at operating temperature because that is the temp it usually runs at.
  • Roughen up the end of the dipstick so that it is dull with red or green Scotch Brite.
  • Make sure the car is at operating temperature.
  • Pull the dipstick.
    [*]Wait at least 10 minutes for any oil droplets that are in the dipstick tube to drain back down into the crank case.
  • Wipe the dipstick and install it until it is fully seated.
  • Pull the dipstick.
  • Keep the indicating end of the dipstick lower than the handle.
  • Read the dipstick. A bright light at an angle will be helpful for this. Look for the lowest place were the dipstick is not shiny from oil.

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Several observations:

1. Although I almost always change the oil myself, I invariably check the level after an O&F change. It's easy enough to do, and there's no reason I can think of to let this important procedure lapse. Just because it was done at a dealer and not Jiffylube doesn't mean there wasn't a cock-up.

2. I don't find the oil level that hard to check on our Passat. Just check it a few minutes after shutting the car off, and it's fine. If it shows at or close to the top of the cross-hatched section, it's good.

Yblocker

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat
[*]Wait at least 10 minutes for any oil droplets that are in the dipstick tube to drain back down into the crank case.[/LIST]
I need to thank Ol'Rattler here. This turned out to be the solution to an oil level "mystery" I've had for 10 years on our '06 Outback. Could never get a consistent reading not or cold. I tried pulling the stick and waiting a few minutes before checking it and bang- I got a good clear indication of the oil level. It's obvious to me now why. The oil gets pulled up into the tube when the stick is withdrawn, which then coats the stick going back in. Duh! I do have to say none of my other cars behave this way, but that was the solution for the generation of Subaru 2.5 liter I own. Thanks Rattler!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Your welcome. The Devil is in the details, isn't it?

I wonder if the OP ever resolved his problem. He probably found some other aspect in his life that doesn't function like his superior intelligence demands that it does.:D