wheel bearing?

rockyrunner99

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf
I have a weird noise coming from the front drivers side wheel. It sounds like the tire is rubbing. it only does it under acceleration, hard acceleration. worst in first and barely at all in 5th. It doesnt sound like the normal wheel bearing howl, but what else could it be? Thanks

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Does it change depending on what direction you steer the car? In park, put the wheel at full lock and back up and do the same the other direction, do you hear any clicking or thumping? Check your wheel studs or lug nuts. Check the bolts holding the axles in. Does it shake the car? Does is shake the steering wheel? does it shake the car or steering wheel when you brake? Are you missing any wheel weights? GO find some speed bumps and drive over them at about 10-15mph, not the long sloping ones, the really bad bumpy ones that will make the car bump a bit. Report back with your results. each of the questions i asked will tell us exactly where to look. I personally have had issues with every single area i just asked you from wheel studs backing off, brake pad exploding, to the bolts on the axles backing out and even throwing off weights. Im putting down some mad power to stock system so i see more wear and tear but i think your probably looking at a bad CV joint. I just started to have this issue as well and have yet to track it down but im 99% sure as well as some others i have asked here that this is a CV axle issue. If you have ever done the axle on your car, check the nut has not loosened up. mine took some blue lock tight to fix, there was a issue with the nuts you can get now, they are junk.

rockyrunner99

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf
I did replace the wheel bearing just this spring, when I put the nut on the axle i used locktite. i will answer what questions I can now and the rest when I take it for a drive. It doesn't shake the wheel at all, ever perfectly smooth driving or under braking. So I'm pretty sure its not wheel weights.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I don't get how it can change with RPM and not road speed unless it's stopped in neutral.

I'm thinking CV joint. Does being in a turn make a difference?

What did you torque the wheel axle nut to? What procedure?

rockyrunner99

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf
It makes the same noise at 1800 rpm no mater what gear i'm in. same noise at 2500 no matter what gear i'm in. I took the skid plate off and the motor had sunk enough to be vibrating on that. The engine side motor mount had loosened up, the back bolt is completely stripped.

RayGatz

TDI
2003 Jetta SW. TDI 5 sp & 01 sedan TDI 5sp. (extra 01 TDI totaled- parts car) "Optilube Summer" fuel additive
Same vibration

Hey... SO did you resolve the problem? I noticed on the upper side of the skid plate where the dogbone support is vibrating/rubbing... Do i need to replace all the motor mounts?