Is P2105 covered under new warranty?

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
As the title indicates, does anyone know if the intake manifold thing (P2105) is covered under the new extended warranty? I know about the dieselgeek fix, but I wondered if it is now covered under the warranty.

Thank you

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I'm trying this question again!

Does anyone think the intake manifold error would be considered a "component that reasonably could be impacted by effects of the Approved Emissions Modification" as stated for the new warranty after the fix? I'm thinking probably not, but was hoping for a comment from an expert.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If you have to have P2015 corrected before the fix, I'm guessing it'll be covered by the warranty. Intake flaps are integral to the EGR and emissions system, that why they are there in the first place.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
If you have to have P2015 corrected before the fix, I'm guessing it'll be covered by the warranty. Intake flaps are integral to the EGR and emissions system, that why they are there in the first place.
Thank you for the response. I didn't have it corrected before the fix. I already have the fix and now I have the error. But I like what you said about the intake being integral to the EGR and emissions system. That sounds encouraging. An issue is I already had someone mess with it before the fix. They added a small set screw and it worked for quite a while, but it seems now it isn't holding. I suspect the dealer might say it's my fault because I messed with it. Maybe I'll just get the dieselgeek thing and let it go at that. I'm sorry I didn't get that the first time. I thought I was getting it, but it turned out they did it a bit differently than I expected.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wish I took my DG bracket off my 2010 when it went back, it was the best $68 fix I spent on the car.

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
I'm not sure exactly how to interpret it as it seems rather comprehensive, but the extended warranty clearly states that it covers "any malfunctions detected by the OBD systems other than those related to the transmission"

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
Intakes are long block aren't they?

I'd say pretty much anything like that is covered

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah but if they see someone monkeyed around with intake they, may throw up their hands stating they caused the issues with a non VW approved modification voiding the warranty on the intake motor.

It'd be like taking a hole saw to the DPF for another EGT probe and then expecting VWoA to replace a failed DPF.

All depends on what kind of hack job was done to the intake.

It can't hurt to bring it in, and cross your fingers, but I'd be expect to be shelling out to DG as a fall back.

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
"any disputes on this warranty shall be decided in favor of the customer"

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
<Takes hole saw to DPF> cause when the warranty is disputed, customer will ever be in favor. ;)

Like I said, it'll add depend on the non-VW approved modification to the intake flapper motor.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
All depends on what kind of hack job was done to the intake.
He's the best there is in my area, but it sounds like it might have been a hack job. Drilling a hole for a screw doesn't sound good to me. That's a nice thing about the dieselgeek fix, it's reversible with no issues. Too bad I didn't get what I asked for.

But should I ever go back there is another question?!

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
drilling a hole for a set screw stop doesn't sound like a hack job. before the DG bracket fix, putting in a screw for a stop was what a lot of persons were doing.

Take a look and see whats going on. it is an electric motor. its possible it is starting to fail. some have had the intake arm ball popping out of the socket from the actuator also.

Last edited:

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
My intake manifold started throwing codes after the fix and was replaced under the new warranty.

Long story: 280,000 miles currently. I had the DG bracket on when I had the fix done with no codes (had it for over a year with no codes). Not long after the fix, the plastic dogbone shaped actuator arm that connects the motor to the manifold got so sloppy it wouldn’t stay in place and started throwing codes. I removed the DG bracket and took it in for repair under the new warranty. First thing I did when I got it back was reinstall the DG bracket to prevent internal wear in the new manifold.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Great two last posts! Maybe it is something other than the screw, but unfortunately what they did to my motor could prevent me from getting it fixed under warranty if it's the plastic arm or something else. I'm disappointed I didn't get what I asked for. That's the way it goes if you don't do your own work. I'm still on the fence about ever going back where I went for the repair.

If I show up at the dealer with the screw, I wonder if they'll give me grief. Or, maybe they'll be happy to collect on warranty work?!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the not knowing is always the exiting part of visiting a VW dealer.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
...some have had the intake arm ball popping out of the socket from the actuator also.
...Not long after the fix, the plastic dogbone shaped actuator arm that connects the motor to the manifold got so sloppy it wouldn’t stay in place and started throwing codes....
Sure enough, the plastic arm on the ball was slipping off! I pushed it on with a screwdriver and the code has stayed off. I guess it's that plastic arm and ball, not the screw. But the question remains about the dealer noticing or caring about the screw. I can't see it looking carefully with the engine cover off. Maybe they'll just be happy for some easy warranty work?! That would be nice. It really is a new issue with the manifold that started after the fix!

jeepnguy

TDI
2011 JSW
I have an appointment for this on thursday with the dealership. I will let you know how it goes. They said that it "should" be covered under the warranty.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^Thank you jeepnguy!

And good luck at the dealer!

After pushing the arm on the ball, my CEL has stayed off for quite a while now! That included a trip of over 1000 miles. Sooner or later I'm sure it will be back, but it's interesting that just pushing it back on worked so well so far. Hopefully I didn't just curse myself and it won't be on tomorrow morning!

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^^Thank you jeepnguy!
And good luck at the dealer!
After pushing the arm on the ball, my CEL has stayed off for quite a while now! That included a trip of over 1000 miles. Sooner or later I'm sure it will be back, but it's interesting that just pushing it back on worked so well so far. Hopefully I didn't just cure myself and it won't be on tomorrow morning!

hardest thing on that arm is short drives, as each shutdown it cycles thru the range, this is where it may pop off. During driving its constantly fluctuation dependent on throttle position.

jeepnguy

TDI
2011 JSW
Back from the dealer. Replaced the Intake....little excessive, but, they said because it's attached to it, they feel it's better than the cheap fix. 100% covered, no questions. I did notice that when the light was on I had better MPG. Not sure if it was a coincidence.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
The dealer cant replace parts that are not in the parts book or not in the manual. VW won't pay for the warranty work if not done per the manuals, and the only part they show for this problem is the entire manifold. Yes excessive cost to fix. Imagine all the manifolds they replaced not under warranty telling people that was the only way to fix.

You had better MPG because the car probably was not doing regens with the fault. Also my MPG's just dropped because my last fill was with winter treated diesel.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Thank you for the update! If only I didn't have a hole drilled in the motor for that screw. Too bad I didn't get the repair I asked for from the INDY! It's not the cause of the problem, but it could be an excuse not to provide a warranty repair.

I guess I'll give the dealer a try anyway. Maybe they'll just go ahead and fix it. They said they searched hard to find something wrong with my car before they did the fix and didn't find anything, so maybe now they'll just do the work. They'll get paid by VW, so maybe they'll just do it!

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
I had my intake manifold replaced at 290K miles for free under the new warranty after my EPA recall on my '09 JSW 2.0 TDI.

As soon as they replaced it, I installed the aluminum bolt-on bracket on that prevents excessive arm travel from Diesel Geek (or Metal Nerd, I always confuse those two LOL).

That way I won't ever have to worry about the arm travel causing internal wear and repeat failure.

bigdog0u81

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf
I just called vw of america. They said it wasnt covered by the emmison warranty that it was only covered by the orignal 10 yr 60k mile one. Im at 79k miles so they wont cover it.

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
I just called vw of america. They said it wasnt covered by the emmison warranty that it was only covered by the orignal 10 yr 60k mile one. Im at 79k miles so they wont cover it.
You're talking about a 2.0 Gen 1 TDI, right?

Tell them to re-read the TDI Fix Brochure.

It clearly says that any failure that throws a CEL code after the fix during the "fix" warranty period is covered.

It also says that disputes will be resolved in favor of the consumer.

I'll find the links to the document and give you page numbers to reference...

Edit: Here's the link:
https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/pdf/VWCourtSettlement_Emissions_Disclosure_Gen1_Manual_Final.pdf

Look at "Page 9" titled "Parts Covered Under Extended Warranty", last bullet point:

- The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system, any malfunctions detected by the On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system other than those related to the transmission

Last edited:

bigdog0u81

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf
Yeah its a 2012 golf. The car has about 5k on it since the fix was done. I saw that in part after I called them. I plan on taking this to my local dealer now then to voa if they dont want to replace it. I also have a rear seat belt that wont retract in they said thats only warranty for 35k miles. Seems crazy that a saftey item would have such a short warranty.

Last edited:

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
you're on your own on the seatbelt.

Let us know the good news when you remind them of the OBD clause and how since the Intake is causing an OBD fault, it's covered!

bigdog0u81

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf
Yeah I figure the seat belt wasnt going to be replaced but I read thst some people got them replaced but didnt say how far out of warranty they was. Ill post what happens when I go.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Have you tried pulling the belt out all the way and seeing if it is tangled? It won't increase the cost of any fix and might just save you the trouble.