Extended Warranty Opinions

pushgears

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 A3 TDI
Hi Everyone,

My 2012 A3 TDI Premium Plus is nearing the end of its Audi warranty, but not its honeymoon - we are still in love and plan to be together for the long haul :p

Just wondering if anyone has experience with mechanical issues and/or extended warranties? What kind of repairs can I realistically expect for the next 50K miles? So far the car has been rock-solid and has not needed any warranty work.:)

The Service Advisor at the local stealership recommended an extended warranty because of all the "systems" that can malfunction. I know this is a question that is nearly impossible to answer objectively - so I am reaching out to my TDI brethren, and asking you and thanking you for your opinions. :confused:

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Been discussed to death on this forum. Most think they are a waste of time and major profit center for dealers; some think they are valuable to have.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Keep your Money. Just forget it. If you look after your car and do not abuse it, why would you spent more money on Warranty.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Keep your Money. Just forget it. If you look after your car and do not abuse it, why would you spent more money on Warranty.
would you drive a car without insurance?

I'm not likely to have an accident - no idea how many accident free years i'm up to at this point. And, man, i'd love to have all the money back from the insurance company that i've given them without a claim.

But.... with that said....

I think it entirely depends on your financial position. Can you afford to pay for a big repair without it bankrupting you? If yes, then take the chance. You should be fine. If no, get the insurance and sleep better at night.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
would you drive a car without insurance?

I'm not likely to have an accident - no idea how many accident free years i'm up to at this point. And, man, i'd love to have all the money back from the insurance company that i've given them without a claim.

But.... with that said....

I think it entirely depends on your financial position. Can you afford to pay for a big repair without it bankrupting you? If yes, then take the chance. You should be fine. If no, get the insurance and sleep better at night.
Not an accurate comparison. First, state law requires you to at least have liability coverage to pay for damage you inflict on someone else. Second, an accident could cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. The most a failure of some part of your car could cost is the value of the car, but probably less than $5,000. Unlikely that the failure of the most expensive part of a car would bankrupt you, but an auto accident could. Third, extended warranties aren't insurance. If they were, they would be governed by the Insurance Commissioner in each state offered and the premiums would be fixed, not negotiable.