2009 Jetta Won't Start

WesD

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I am a frequent reader on these forums and love the site! I bought a 2009 Jetta back in July 09, and have been extremely happy with it. Today when I went in the garage to start the car, it would not start. It has been sitting in the garage for 2 weeks as I have been on vacation. The fuel tank is half full. The glow plug light cycled on as usual, and when I cranked it, it did not start. I repeated this process 4 more times, letting the glow plugs cycle on, and trying to start...each time with no success. Any ideas? I have been using opti-lube XPD in every fill up. The car has 5500 miles, and none of the recalls have applied to the car.

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
Have you checked your battery? Cold in Ohio these days. You can have enough amps to light the gauges and make noise with the starter, but not enough to turn the engine over fast enough to light up. Checking the battery and the fuel filter are always the places to start.

As you probably know, a few folks have reported cold no-start problems. My impression is these are usually gremlins which go away on their own...but I might be wrong.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
If I was yo I would not touch anything. Your car is under warranty. I f you start touching things ,they my blame it on your own fault and void warranty.Just call dealer and tell them the problem and they will take care.

subsonic44

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI 6-spd. Loyal
The problem you are having is known about. There are lots of posts in the A5 section. Problem seams to raise its head in higher humidity situations followed by a cold snap. I have had it twice. Dealers have yet to nail it down. Report it to the dealer, make sure you turn in a good write up on the issue. Time, date, temp, fuel tank level, (so they dont say it a new tank of bad fuel), previous driving conditions, detailed starting attempt records etc. Get it all reported and logged by the dealer. Next time, shoot video of your starting attempt. Video is REALLY hard to dispute!!!

WesD

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Update:

Thanks for all of the input. After a few more tries to get it started, it finally fired and died. I tried a couple more times and it finally fired up, and ran rough for a few seconds, and began to run normally. I took it for a short drive, and it seems to be fine, but i am going to report this to the dealer...not that they will do anything about it. Thanks again for all of the input!