"Bonfire" @ Drew's (Bremen, OH) - Sat Oct 21, 2017

GeekDrew

Veteran Member
TDI
None
It's that time of year again... a rollercoaster of weather less predictable than politics! Let's roll the dice and have another fire, shall we?

• starts late afternoon (idk, 15:00 - 17:00); ends... eventually
  • exclusively social (no wrenching)
  • eurovans prohibited (no wrenching)
  • food is a group effort (ish)

Those of you who are not local: Lancaster Ohio 43130 and Logan Ohio 43138 are the nearest cities, probably 20ish minute drive each, which have hotels. Since this is a farm, I'm also cool with anyone being brave enough to camp outside - but it'll likely be rather chilly.

Anyone daring to come to the farm should realize that, yes, this is a rural area: there's an abundance of wildlife around (coyotes, dogs, foxes, raccoons, rabbits, cattle, etc). All beware (campers in particular).

How to get there

As of right now, Google will lead you to the farm if you navigate to "5890 Marietta Rd W, Junction City, OH". That is not my address (wrong city); it nonetheless currently works for navigation.

If your navigation software supports coordinates, use these: 39.684926,-82.368263

Otherwise, find your way to the intersection of Marietta and Broad Streets, in Bremen OH (as of this moment, that’s where you go if you just navigate to “Bremen OH” in Google maps). From there, head eastbound on Marietta Rd. This will be taking you away from the village, past a park, and into a desolate wasteland. Keep going for not quite 3 miles. You’ll come to a stop sign, at the intersection of Jerusalem Rd. Continue east on Marietta Rd, for about another half mile. As you read the top of the hill, you’ll see a mailbox on the left, which is painted green and yellow. You'll cross the county line (entering Perry) in a few feet. The next driveway on the left is house number 5890 (but do not follow house numbers; the sequence changes at the county line); turn left into that driveway - you’ll see a big red barn sitting back the driveway. That’s where we’ll be.

When we meet, we eat

As mentioned above, food is a group effort. I'll provide some kind of primary food (perhaps burgers, hot dogs, brats, or... IDK), and whatever those generally require for typical consumption. Bring stuff to share!

Please post in this thread if you intend to attend, and if you can bring a snack, mention what kind. I (or someone) will keep this list somewhat up-to-date based on responses in this thread.

1. GeekDrew - meats, buns, condiments, water
  2. bhtooefr - epic cider
  3. compu_85
  4. VeeDubTDI
  5. Growler (and Kenny)
  6. Sprocket
  7. Sprockette - pie
  8. Badger
  9. BKmetz
  10. meganuke

We'll have a limited selection of alcohols here, but feel free to bring your own (if you want). Just don't forget any potential driving you might need to do to get to wherever you're staying.

Oh, and by the way

Dress comfortably, including footwear. The weather has been pretty warm thus far, but who knows, maybe it'll freeze in the next couple of weeks. You should probably check the weather for Bremen Ohio 43107 before coming.

Also, bring something to sit on, unless you prefer to sit on the ground (or on a bale of hay, of which I have plenty).

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Jason, Haru and I are all in! We'll be bringing the Mk4 Jetta.

I'm not sure what we'll be bringing for food yet. Food theme should probably be cookout/BBQ ... grilled meats, assortment of sides, a pie or two for dessert.

Sprockette

Sprocket's wife
TDI
2012 Golf w/Tech Package
I can bring a pie! What kind do y'all want? I won't do pumpkin since I won't eat it. :D

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
I can bring a pie! What kind do y'all want? I won't do pumpkin since I won't eat it. :D
Strawberry rhubarb, apple, blueberry, lemon, key lime, banana cream, cherry, & a pizza pie please.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Change of plans - not bringing the Mk4 Jetta anymore.

Tomo, are you interested in caravanning out with us on Friday morning?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I wont know until mid week if I can go....will let you know!
OK. You're also welcome to ride with us if you don't mind being without a car while you're there. I'm not sure what sort of sleeping arrangements are available.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
FYI, hotels are booked in Logan & Lancaster. We had to go out a little further to Hebron.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
FYI, hotels are booked in Logan & Lancaster. We had to go out a little further to Hebron.
Yeah there seems to be a lot going on in Lancaster that weekend. BK had a hard time finding a hotel, as well. For anyone interested, the Lancaster Motel is kind of dumpy looking but gets okay reviews and seems to be run by very nice people. It's 13 miles away from Drew.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
Would you guys rather see a Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel or a BMW 328D?

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I have to ask - you guys will have AC/DC cranked up all night, right?

Back in 2003 AC/DC released a box set called BONFIRE in honor of their late lead singer Bon Scott in case one doesn't get the reference.

Last edited:

GeekDrew

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Well this nighttime event seems to have started last night at the Columbus get together. Lawson, Jason, Brian, Keith, Emilie, Eric and I are at breakfast already. We’ll probably start the fire a bit before sundown.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
Sorry I couldn't come, the BMW got a piece of metal in the right Rear and I have to buy a new tire....did I say how much I hate Run Flats.....
Have Fun!
That sucks Tom, we will miss you.

Won't you have to buy 4 new tires since it's AWD? :eek:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
We had a great time again this year. The weather was perfect and we had a really wide variety of cars.

Thanks to Drew for hosting, meganuke for grocery shopping, Sprockette for making some awesome pies, and bhtooefr for bringing beverages.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
Thanks for hosting Drew! It was good to see everyone and their rides even if they were not TDIs. Prius, Tesla model X, imported truck from Japan, Cmax plug in hybrid, Jeep EcoDiesel, & a couple of TDIs.

Great food and great company! Looking forward to next year!