HOLY BLAH Batman! That was a lot of SMOKE...

ThePapaJohn

Veteran Member
TDI
None
So Guys and Gals,

Just had the 2001 VW Golf TDI delivered today and I'm in need of your assistance/input. When starting her up, HOLY BLAH BatMan! Rough idle and tons of smoke.... After getting her warm (190) she calmed down and sounded like she was a kitten purring vice the Drill Sgt. throwing cans thru the barracks..

I'm sure she needs to have the intakes cleaned, and I'm going to be changing all the fluids and filters this weekend timing belt is going to be done the next week), but is there anything else that would be a cause for concern for such a rough cold idle? She was very spirited when I got her out on the road. Can hear (and feel the Power of) the turbo working with no problems, no tracking (steering) problems, tire wear looks great, no strange noises after having her warm and going, its just that first startup and clearing the mosquitoes / bugs with all that smoke that has me a little concerned.

Any guidance is appreciated.

A Newbie of the Club,

John S.

ThePapaJohn

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I always thought the Glow Plugs don't engage unless the ambient air temp is under 40 deg. (Plus the Glow Plug light was clear before the start.)

I will be taking a look at them now that it was mentioned (a resistance check would just cost me some time, and didn't look that hard to do..).

John

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Hmm--doubt it smoked as much as my car

I think I take the cake...
In any case, good luck!
-BB

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
you also want to have someone with a vag-com take a look at the timing which you have to do when installing the new timing belt set it about halfway between the middle and top lines. you are right about the glow plugs not working till it get colder though it won,t hurt to look at them now It most lokely is not where the problem is. Look up Wingnuts how to's on the other stuff and take the time to read ALL the FAQ"s they will be a big help getting to know your car.

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
My guess is retarded timing, perhaps in conjunction with clogged intake, snow screen, bad/old/crappy fuel and/or dirty injectors.