High altitude problems after injector upgrade / tune

Flimzy

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, 1986 TurboDiesel Jetta GL, 1997 Dodge RAM 3500 Cummins
I have a 2003 Jetta TDI with 190k miles. The last two weeks, I've been on a road trip, and started noticing problems I've never had before.

I've driven this car at high altitudes before, with no problem. But about 2 months ago I had new injectors installed (bosio dlc 1019 injectors from kerma tdi), and a Malone stage 3 tune, and removed the EGR.

I live in Wichita, Kansas (elev 1300ft). I just drove to Guadalajara, Mexico (elev 5100ft). I don't know exactly how high I was when the CEL first came on, but it was somewhere along Highway 57 in Mexico, between Matehuala (elev 4900ft) and San Luis Potosí (elev 6100ft). It was also shortly after (within an hour) of my first fill-up with Mexican diesel (probably not relevant).

Once the CEL came on, I noticed a slight loss of power at times, when accelerating. But it wasn't consistent. Although, as the elevation rose, it became more and more consistent.

By the time I arrived in Guanajuato (elev 7000ft), performance was consistently very poor.

I stopped at a local AutoZone and had the engine code read, P0252.

In Guadalajara, I had a TDI mechanic look at it, and he adjusted the timing and injection levels. The CEL no longer came on. He gave me the car back on Thursday.

On both Friday and Saturday, I drove the car into higher elevations, and both times the CEL came on, but after descending and restarting the CEL stayed off.

My two questions:

1. Now that the car is "tuned" for 5100ft in Guadalajara, will I have any trouble descending back to 1300ft when I drive home to Kansas?

2. What is causing these problems? Can anything be done to prevent these problems on future road trips?