fuel filter changed, no start,

taura

TDI
passat,96,red - jetta,99,black
Changed the filter but never vaccum'd or primed (haynes manual made me do it!). The car started and then died. Got a vaccum pump and sucked diesel by the fuel pump outlet, there are still some bubbles but the filter has fuel. Still no start.
Is the pump dry? Any suggestions? Thanks.

maxforce

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf, 04 Jetta, 84 300SD
after the filter is full you need to crack all the injectors to get air out and fuel to them. Why did you listen to haynes.

maxforce

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf, 04 Jetta, 84 300SD
make sure you don't burn up the stater by cranking it to death.

taura

TDI
thanks. How do I crack the injectors?

haynes was the only manual at the library, no worries I ordered a bentley. Haynes also mentioned vacumm the return line after the ful pump, what do you think?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Crack #2 (loosen the nut on the injector, 17mm) while you have someone crank the starter for about 10 secs or so. Use a rag near the injector nut you are loosening to soak up any fuel spill. Tighten down on the nut as the fuel starts to come out. Repeat this process for injector #3. Doesn' matter which one you do first.

Should be able to start after that. If not, you may have to do the same for injectors #1 and #4.

taura

TDI
Gentlemen, we have a Jetta back from the dead. Cracked 3 of them and the babe is purring like a virgen kitten in the driveway. Got hooked on crack(ing). Thank you both very much.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Crack #2 (loosen the nut on the injector, 17mm) while you have someone crank the starter for about 10 secs or so. Use a rag near the injector nut you are loosening to soak up any fuel spill. Tighten down on the nut as the fuel starts to come out. Repeat this process for injector #3. Doesn' matter which one you do first.

Should be able to start after that. If not, you may have to do the same for injectors #1 and #4.
Ok, so does anyone know why #2 or #3 injector should be bled first? I have seen this around, but haven't come up with a valid reason for it.

Of course I can't come up with a valid reason for sex other than procreation, but that's not stopping me.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Number three is what the controller is connected to. That's the reason I believe it should go first, so as not to confuse the poor computer. It has enough to deal with as it is.