2003 TDI Blower motor not working??

Diesel Mania_26

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf, 03 Jetta Wagon, 75 Westy (undergoing TDI conversion)
My wifes 2003 Golf TDI the blower motor stopped working a couple of weeks ago - I havent had a chance to really get into it but checked fuses and such to no avail.

the heat and everything still works of course as does the AC however there is no blower to push anything out of course.

anyone know of a quick way to check the relay for this?

or is thius very typically the blower motor itself??

I have seen another go in a 2001 TDI and that was a replaced motor.

I would have just purchased one however they arent all that cheap so I wanted to be sure what I was replacing of course.

its getting cold out in the mornings so my wife is starting to wonder when I am going to fix it... lol

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
My wifes 2003 Golf TDI the blower motor stopped working a couple of weeks ago - I havent had a chance to really get into it but checked fuses and such to no avail.

the heat and everything still works of course as does the AC however there is no blower to push anything out of course.

anyone know of a quick way to check the relay for this?

or is thius very typically the blower motor itself??

I have seen another go in a 2001 TDI and that was a replaced motor.

I would have just purchased one however they arent all that cheap so I wanted to be sure what I was replacing of course.

its getting cold out in the mornings so my wife is starting to wonder when I am going to fix it... lol
Does the blower motor fan still run on high (#4)? If so, its usually the blower resistor pack. Actually the thermal fuse on the resistor pack. If it is the resistor pack, there is a how to on replacing the thermal fuse. Cut out the old one and get a new one at Radio Shack and solder it in the same place. Or, buy the new resistor pack. If no blower motor fan at all, then probably the fan motor. I've had to do one of each this year and they are quite easy to do. You can do the resistor pack w/o removing the glove box/door. Found the resistor pack fuse failed in one car due to fan motor on its last leg. The other one is still going fine w/new fuse.

Diesel Mania_26

Veteran Member
TDI
hey jetta wreck,

I have been told (as I dont drive the car most of the time - I just work on it lol). that when it first went it would spurraticlly come on when the set to the highest #4 setting....

Now it does not come at all... you can feel hot air do to air pressure changse of course when the heat is on. and cold air when teh AC is on but no noise whatsoever form the fan...

ANd I have not heard it come on at the highest setting myself but apparently it did happen a couple of times at least where it did not work on any settinsg and when left on #4 setting it would come on a couple of times if left like that while driving...

so possibly both then?

do you have the sticky thread?

cheers.

Diesel Mania_26

Veteran Member
TDI
Prob the head unit with the blower switch built - in . Test the circuts and you will get your answers . R

getting there... just super busy... finally putting up a shop so I dont have to work in the driveway much longer... and wedding plans.... oh wedding plans...

so you think it is the actual switch itself?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
hey jetta wreck,

I have been told (as I dont drive the car most of the time - I just work on it lol). that when it first went it would spurraticlly come on when the set to the highest #4 setting....

Now it does not come at all... you can feel hot air do to air pressure changse of course when the heat is on. and cold air when teh AC is on but no noise whatsoever form the fan...

ANd I have not heard it come on at the highest setting myself but apparently it did happen a couple of times at least where it did not work on any settinsg and when left on #4 setting it would come on a couple of times if left like that while driving...

so possibly both then?

do you have the sticky thread?

cheers.
I don't think its a "sticky". I'll have a look to see if I can locate those.
There is also a thread about the switch going bad with some of those irratic symptoms. When the resistor pack went out on the two of mine it just quit except on high. The AC light in the button would come on w/o the blower on #1,2,3 but when turned on 4 then the AC button light wouldn't come on.
Resistor pack thrmal fuse fails when blower motor is causing too much drag, cabin filter is clogged up, etc.
Search some posts by DanG144 (?). He helped me with a write up he has about it when the first resistor pack went out and AndyBees had one about the switch repair, if remember correctly.

Diesel Mania_26

Veteran Member
TDI
yeah I cam up with a few. I will do some reading during the down time today....

appreciated. thx!

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
I am on my 3rd blower motor in 9 years/215k miles in my Jetta I bought new. I run the blower the entire time the car is on, summer, winter, spring, and fall. Mine just wear out, the symptom has always been it starts slowing down, then stops all together. Waiting a few minutes, turning the blower back on on a lower speed, it works for a few minutes then slows to a stop. They seem to last 90k miles for me...

The off brand ones seem to last as long as the factory one did.

I keep a new on on hand at all times, I like airflow :)

I have never had a resistor pack failure in this car.

Diesel Mania_26

Veteran Member
TDI
good to know. as far as I know this justs topped working one day.. simply didnt turn on any of the settings.... and as mentionede if left on the highest setting it would randomly start working at times.... but now that doesnt seem to happen at all.