Mini Rant.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Why do people not get it.....Just saying here (not intended to the individual texting me today...) I usually slow down dec and jan. The last 2 years not so much. I take this time to relax a bit and clean the shop as well as have some personal time for THINGS THAT DO NOT NEED TO BE EXPLAINED TO YOUR SORRY A****!!!

I though my phone message was pretty clear. We are closed till Feb unless you have a prior scheduled appointment. Please send and Email to my web page if you need contact or want to schedule for FEB! Yet, there are several dozen people that hang up and call back 2,3,4,5 times in a row to see if I'll pick up. When I do, and rightfully so raise cain on them they are still pretentious enough to STILL want an immediate appt! :mad::confused:

Did your parents NOT raise you with some etiquette? Do you think you are that important? Do you think you can TELL me what to do and WHEN? Seriously......

Name and numbers have been taken and I see a ban list growing. I am NOT at ANYONES beck-and-call. In fact when the shop moves the scope of work is going to narrow to pretty much engines only. No interiors, suspension, no electrical work etc. I just don't have time for it anymore. Nor the patience for inconsiderate dolts....And there won't be a waiting area. Just a chair.

Thanks, Carry on. Rant off.

Last edited:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Enjoy your time off, it is precious.

I see a similar thing on the forums, newbies (and some not so new) DEMAND an answer to their very elementary questions. They even get mad when the real answer doesn't jibe with their warped view of the world.

People, YOU CAN'T MAKE PEOPLE HELP YOU. You may politely ask and that is it. A hissy fit just gets you on the ignore/idiot/troll/do not resuscitate list.

Bill

jasonTDI

TDI
Thanks Bill, as always a level headed view of things.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Jason-take your time off-it is well deserved(although time in summer would be better for you to get road time on your bike;)). I would keep a list of the #'s of the "pests" that pester you now-tell them if it's that important they can take it to the nearest dealer......

jasonTDI

TDI
Trust me on that....You know, Bike miles went in this order over the past 5 years. 30K, 20K, 10K, 3K, 1.5K.....pathetic that last year was two 5 day rides off road that did 1300 miles. I actually had someone say to me "well you were gone twice last year!" Really? I should be gone 8 weeks a year considering the 70+ hour weeks I work.

You know, if it wasn't for the really GREAT customers that I have that make up for the turds I'd be doing something else.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Appalling that people have an expectation that you (or any other mechanic) would be at their beck and call 24/7/365. I would have gone to an invitation-only shop years ago if people had put me through half the poop that I've heard about.

Savor your time off with your family and enjoy being at home once in a while - it's nice!

jasonTDI

TDI
Thanks Ted,

Ironically....I'm at the shop. We are wrapping up a 240hp MK5 project. Of course its got a bad CTS and I'm out...fans run full tilt. We'll be disconnecting those for now.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Jason, I feel your pain. Or, at least used to.

Back in the day, I was working at an electronics store that sold, you guessed it, electronic components, and a mess of other stuff, while I was going to college. We served the general public, and a good mix of professional / industrial customers.

We literally got so tired of the boneheads that would come in, demanding we design a circuit for them. I can't tell you how many times I had to explain that this was a store, not a consulting firm. And, that I can point the to a design consultant. I had one in particular that picked up a 400hz military generator for $100, and could NOT (not would not) understand why this generator would not work. :eek: ANd, he wanteedd me to design a convertor for him! :confused:

Or, they would not know what they wanted, and get upset with us because we, quite literally, could not read their minds.

One of the other salesmen cornered me one day, telling me to stop telling my customers to deal with me only. I explained that I make no such request of my customers. They are doing that on their own. He insisted that I talk to them and make them stop. He wanted my sales. Not that we were on commission; we were not.

It was that experience that convinced me that I can't deal with the general public. Industrial / commercial is fine...they are professional. Bu the general public...NO!

Jason, keep a stiff upper lip, turn off the phone, enjoy your better customers, stop dealing with those that don't want to listen, and, last, but not least, enjoy your time off!

Tony

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
A 240 HP MKV? When you get a chance, please list the mods/details. Hearing it from a GURU sure beats the hell out of some braggart who wins races even when his entry is the only one.....

I mean, it's not like you are busy or anything, you are closed!.... Kidding!

Bill

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
I know the feeling too - calls at midnight or 3am sometimes....4x missed calls from same person, I'm backed up on two other calls; call them back and they ask if I carry oil filters. Lol! Either you laugh or cry...

Anyway, by and large it's a great group I work with too...except for the guy that did a $7800 chargeback and was able to get away with it.

Keep on keeping on!
-BB

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
They even get mad when the real answer doesn't jibe with their warped view of the world.
i find this ironic coming from you - but it sounds good to say, now try to do it.

to the OP - voicemail is your friend.

jasonTDI

TDI
Ugh...I could never be in the parts biz for that reason. Well....That and I HATE packaging and shipping. Ask those that have bought parts from me...lol....sort of.

$7800....someone would be getting a "visit".

I know the feeling too - calls at midnight or 3am sometimes....4x missed calls from same person, I'm backed up on two other calls; call them back and they ask if I carry oil filters. Lol! Either you laugh or cry...

Anyway, by and large it's a great group I work with too...except for the guy that did a $7800 chargeback and was able to get away with it.

Keep on keeping on!
-BB

jasonTDI

TDI
i find this ironic coming from you - but it sounds good to say, now try to do it.

to the OP - voicemail is your friend.
Way to s*** in the thread....:rolleyes: Leave your beef with Bill in PM's.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Ugh...I could never be in the parts biz for that reason. Well....That and I HATE packaging and shipping. Ask those that have bought parts from me...lol....sort of.

$7800....someone would be getting a "visit".
Lol! I sometimes feel the same way. The turd is in the UK, makes it hard....

JasonG

Veteran Member
TDI
1994, 2003 JSW (sold), 2012 Jetta
From one of the Newbies that appreciates your forum support, enjoy the rrest and get on the 2 wheels more :)

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Just out of curiosity, Jason, when/if you do decide to narrow your focus, will you still do auto to manual transmission swaps or will you be strictly engine only and nothing else with the drivetrain?

jasonTDI

TDI
From one of the Newbies that appreciates your forum support, enjoy the rrest and get on the 2 wheels more :)

Thanks. I enjoy riding in your state. Beautiful and nice people.

jasonTDI

TDI
Just out of curiosity, Jason, when/if you do decide to narrow your focus, will you still do auto to manual transmission swaps or will you be strictly engine only and nothing else with the drive train?
I'll do those. When you have done a lot they are relatively easy. It's just the nickle and dime stuff that burns tons of hours I don't have. It's the physical toll it takes on you working that much. It's not good for anyone. FWIW I have a part timer that does 30+ hours and I farm out a TON of work (susp, clutch, DSG flywheel, etc) to Sheeso next door. He's become a good VW mechanic. I like to help the neighbor shops that are on hard times.

jasonTDI

TDI
July, 6 miles SE of current location to new house and property. Right between US51 and US14. 10 min from the beltline hwy.

jasonTDI

TDI
Yep.

You'll have to come up this summer Bob. Lot's of good space to "practice" Plus the new CC law is in effect here!

Bronco648

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
Gee, I hope the couple of texts I had my wife send don't get me put on the "banned" list. I just wanted to chat for a few minutes. :D However, I didn't know that you normally take Dec. & Jan. off. And, yeah, you need to get out on the GS800 way more. :)