Chipwerke Piggyback Tuner: 3.0 Dieselgate Solution?

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Thanks! I think I'm going to give it a try!! I know tuning it would really wake it up but until the warranty is up I don't want to that deep. Looking forward to giving it a shot!

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
So just for the heck of it, if I were to add this "Chipwerke" to my car I would immediately gain another 33% more power and more torque since this thing does not know I already run a Stage 2 tune with more Hp and torque than stock.

Hard to believe something that takes 5 minutes to install and according to one persons comment in Amazon.com it makes no difference how the harness is connected. That's a real scientific installation!

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Hi peeps! So is there a trick for unplugging the rail pressure plug? I was able to release the boost(4 pin) plug easy enough but the rail pressure sensor(3 pin) plug just doesn't want to release. I don't want to pry on it son much that it breaks. I'm unable to post pics or I would post a couple of my plug. Thanks

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Hi peeps! So is there a trick for unplugging the rail pressure plug? I was able to release the boost(4 pin) plug easy enough but the rail pressure sensor(3 pin) plug just doesn't want to release. I don't want to pry on it son much that it breaks. I'm unable to post pics or I would post a couple of my plug. Thanks

I’m confused. My setup just has one connection, to the three pin rail pressure sensor. Is there any chance they sent you the 3.0 gasser rig instead of the 3.0 diesel? Or the 2.0 diesel setup? They did that with me (3.0 gas) and I eventually figured it out and got them to send me the correct package. It sounds like this is what happened.

Last edited:

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
How'd u figure out they sent u the wrong kit? The box isn't marked,but my invoice says gen II Cayenne diesel. I was able to find the boost plug which seems like it plumbed up into the intercooler tube. I was a little confused because I remembered u guys saying it was just a rail pressure sensor connection. Not sure if the Porsche would be different than the Audi...the motors are same.
How did u get the rail pressure sensor plug undone? I don't want to break this expensive looking plug...lol

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
How'd u figure out they sent u the wrong kit? The box isn't marked,but my invoice says gen II Cayenne diesel. I was able to find the boost plug which seems like it plumbed up into the intercooler tube. I was a little confused because I remembered u guys saying it was just a rail pressure sensor connection. Not sure if the Porsche would be different than the Audi...the motors are same.
How did u get the rail pressure sensor plug undone? I don't want to break this expensive looking plug...lol

There’s a small tab on one side. You have to press it in hard to get it to release. My tab eventually did break off, lol. It still fits on snug and all is still well.

Please update on your experience, because if they are shipping a two sensor solution now, I and some others would probably want to upgrade. You might also call them. Their tech rep is better informed than their sales reps. I look forward to hearing back.

Edit: how I found out is the harness had the wrong connectors. It doesn’t sound like that happened to you.

Last edited:

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
I'll keep u posted as I just emailed them and asked why my harness had the RP and boost connections. Also my module doesn't have the dials exposed,I would have to unbolt the cover and get inside to adjust.
Thanks for the help....it definitely felt like I could've pryed hard enough to break that little tab. Looking forward to getting home and finish installing this.

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
They sent me the incorrect harness when I purchased the module the first time.
What was incorrect about the harness? We're the plugs wrong? Mine plug in smoothly after getting the RP sensor unplugged....but that being said it had the RP and Boost plug in my harness.
Wife just said she felt like power is how it was previous to "the fix".

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
If your harness hooked up, I doubt it was the wrong one. The incorrect one they sent me did not hook in properly. This leaves me mulling two possibilities:

1) that they have modified or upgraded the 3.0 TDI setup to include two sensors instead of just one

2) that they ship a different configuration of the setup for Cayenne (Q7, Touareg?) than for the Q5.

Did they send you installation pictures of any kind? Can you post a picture of them, or of your actual setup on IMGUR or another photo sharing site and link to it? I am thinking about reconnecting with Chipwerke to see if they have changed the setup. I’ve been happy with the solution I have, but am curious about what you are running now.

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
I'm curious as well. I have not heard back from them since emailing yesterday after u brought up not having a boost connection in your harness. My instructions were sort of confusing initially because it contained both single (RP)and dual (RP and Boost) connectors. The instructions are pretty vague to say the least as I would e thiught they could've labeled which instructions were which vehicles. If I hear back I'll let u know what they say and if u hear anything from them let us know.

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Update,ended up returning it as our Cayenne wasn't liking something foreign hooked to it. After unhooking the positive battery lead over nite with no difference and still having small issues which included a CEL my feeling was to return it and wait out until the warranty expires and then throw a tune on it. Bummed.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Still rocking and rolling with my one cable setup. But dunerking’s experience with the Cayenne and a two cable setup should give the next buyer pause. Their tech support department may be slipping. I did not try to contact them because I didn’t want to mess around with something that is working so well.

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Mythdoc,I was hoping to get the results I have been enjoying.

Frankenaudi...no idea what CEL as I don't own a VAG tool to read. Unfortunately this "pluck play" became to much chasing for me to keep up with. Even simple task like unhooking the battery isn't simple...I've got to remove the drivers seat to access the battery....

matt94gt

TDI
2014 Q7
Hey all, any recent feedback on the Chipwerke on post fix TDIs?

I just got a 2014 Q7 TDI that has had the emissions fix. Im looking to help increase the throttle response and mileage. Extra power is always a bonus. I would go Malone but don't want to worry about warranty issues.

Thanks in advance!

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey all, any recent feedback on the Chipwerke on post fix TDIs?

I just got a 2014 Q7 TDI that has had the emissions fix. Im looking to help increase the throttle response and mileage. Extra power is always a bonus. I would go Malone but don't want to worry about warranty issues.

Thanks in advance!

I still love mine. I have the single cable setup. Attaches to the rail sensor. Works very well. Better oomph and slightly better fuel economy than without. Dunerking had problems with the two cable setup so I’d stick with the single.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
I should add that I turned my chipwerke setting back down to C-2. That is still one notch higher than the “factory” setting. Best compromise between a performance enhancement and a fuel efficiency enhancement. A little of each.

matt94gt

TDI
2014 Q7
Thanks! I did read on another forum that one person's favourite setting after trying most was "2 F" just thought I'd mention it.

When you purchase can you choose 1 or 2 cables? I am not sure what that even means.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Simple one cable setup to the rail pressure sensor, then to the chip module. Yes, you could probably get on the phone with their tech and ask.

matt94gt

TDI
2014 Q7
Gotcha thank you. And thats all you have on your TDI?

Im considering:

Chip, Malone, and or TCU reprogram. Do you know much about the APR tune for the 3.0 TDI?

Last edited:

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
I don’t have personal experience with other engine enhancements but there are multiple long threads in this forum devoted to them.

barvic

TDI
'14 Q5
Hey Gang, new here, HI!
Finally got 'back' to diesel June '18, with a 2014 Q5 TDI, only 34,000K.
Any updates regarding this chip from anyone?
Cheers, Bruce in Victoria, BC

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Gang, new here, HI!
Finally got 'back' to diesel June '18, with a 2014 Q5 TDI, only 34,000K.
Any updates regarding this chip from anyone?
Cheers, Bruce in Victoria, BC

I’ve driven over 20K miles on the Chipwerke both before and after the dieselgate fix. No problems whatsoever. No codes whatsoever (knock wood). Still enjoying the modest power and efficiency improvement and think it has been a completely positive experience.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
After much going back and forth between a true tune, warranty, tuning boxes...I just purchased a Chipwerke tuning box. I will make sure to keep everyone updated as I get in the box next week and hook it up to my 16' A6 TDI.

The box number(SKU) is: CW00173

I wanted to add this for any other folks looking to purchase the same unit in the future.

Beeej259

TDI
2015 Q5
I’d be very curious to hear how the chipwerke box affects your TDI. I have a Q5 TDI that I’m considering doing this to. Mythdoc seems to like it. Will be watching for your follow up, Midwesthick!

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
I’d be very curious to hear how the chipwerke box affects your TDI. I have a Q5 TDI that I’m considering doing this to. Mythdoc seems to like it. Will be watching for your follow up, Midwesthick!
I am just as curious as you man! I’ll make sure to post all updates here.

I checked tracking and I will be getting it Monday so that’s nice. I actually had both rear mufflers cut off today and just replaced it with direct piping. Barely any noise difference but some nice responsiveness from a full stop or roll.