HOW TO and do-it-yourself threads

TDI
98.5 Jetta
Newbie with engine starting troubles

You guys rock! Thanks for all the valuable info.
I've read a lot in TDIFAQ over last few days. Wish I had started earlier. I could have saved some trouble. Think I've got the issues on the run. Need Relay 109 and coolant temp sensor. Will know more in the morning when I attempt the cold start.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Think I've got the issues on the run. Need Relay 109 and coolant temp sensor. Will know more in the morning when I attempt the cold start.
Unplug the CTS: it fakes the coldest temperature, so the ECU leaves the GP's on for the longest time.

Tony

BrokeVWOwner

TDI
2001 jetta
real quick question about cleaning the manifold, When i undid the coolent hose the coolent kept going fromt the other end and but the hose was not, what to do?

javigh123

TDI
2006 Jetta
Guys, I know this is not a how-to. Just stashing it here so it is easy to find.

Silicone hose sizes/lengths for the A3/A4/B4 cars. Viton tubing for the fuel return lines.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]mcmaster .com[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Ft.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5041K22[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Metric Silicone Rubber Tubing Firm, 3 mm Id, 8 mm Od, 2.5 mm Wall, Red (Same as 5041K52) [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
Ft.
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5041K522[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Metric Silicone Rubber Tubing Firm, 3 mm Id, 8 mm Od, 2.5 mm Wall, Blue (Same as 5041K52) [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT]
Ft.
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5041K521[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Metric Silicone Rubber Tubing Firm, 3 mm Id, 8 mm Od, 2.5 mm Wall, Black (Same as 5041K52) [/FONT]
Ft.
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5054K531[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Metric Silicone Rubber Tubing Soft, 4 mm Id, 8 mm Od, 2 mm Wall, Black (Same as 5054K53) [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT]
Ft.
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5119K41[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]High Temperature Viton Rubber Tubing Firm, 1/8" Id, 1/4" Od, 1/16" Wall, Black [/FONT]

A3 Jetta: 3 foot of blue/red. 12 foot black 3mm. 5 foot black 4mm
B4 Passat: 6 foot red/blue. 15 foot black 3mm. 5 foot black 4mm
A4 B/G/J: 10 foot of black 3 mm. 5 foot black 4mm.

With all these numbers, you will have some left over. Not a bad thing to have a little vacuum tube around.

Viton hose: 3 foot is more than you need. You will have some left over after replacing the interinjector lines and return line to the injection pump.

[/FONT]
I'm probably missing this somewhere, but What's an A3 and A4? I have a 2006 Jetta TDI 1.9L..what would that be considered?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"

gary9696

TDI
2013 JSW DSG Red, 2010 JSW DSG Red Traded in
I have a 2010 Jetta TDI SportWagen. Has anyone tried to block the back (engine side) of the air intake to try to get a ram air effect to increase fuel economy/performance?

ProStreetDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
DIY: Engine Bay Washing (Video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq6ve_OCOj8

How to wash dirt, grease, or grim away from your engine bay. Make sure your engine is cool when you do this procedure. Spray the solution onto the engine and around the engine bay, let it soak for approximately 5 minutes, then continue to rinse off with hose or pressure washer. Let engine dry for a few hours to prevent the vehicle from running rough.

The soap I used in this video is called Spray Nine, but I'm sure there is other cleaners available which will do the same job.

Areas to take caution around when washing:
-alternator
-coils/distributor
-spark plugs
-spark plug wires
-fuse panel
-oil filling places (engine oil, transmission oil, power steering)
-brake fluid reservoir
-intake
-air filter

To protect any areas you are worried about water entering, you can cover it up with a plastic bag.

Kyuss

Veteran Member
TDI
White '02 Golf
Trunk latch delete

I searched for a "how to" regarding using a mk5 door
Actuator to open the trunk on a mk4 golf ( when shaving the
Trunk latch.

Can anyone fire off a link or can give advice?

Thanks in advance

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
I think a "How to jack up your car so that all four tires are in the air at the same time" would be a good "How To" addition to this section.

I just documented, with pics, the process I use. Check out post #26 here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=278035&page=2

I would appreciate a review of this process to ensure that people in the know agree that it's good, safe for the owner, and safe for the car. If so, perhaps it can be added to this section for others to easily find and use.

My car is an MK6 Golf. I don't know how different, if any, this process would be for Jetta, JSW, or earlier generations of cars.

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
Easier, safer way is to use a friend's 2-post lift. :D
I'm sure that's true. But I don't have any friends with a 2-post lift. I'm guessing most of us don't have friends with that kind of equipment. :(

So I'm looking for feedback as to whether my documented process is an easy enough, safe process for both the car and the person who might be under the car doing some service.

There seems to be questions on the forum about how to get the back end of the car up into the air. The jack stand documentation says to only use stands to hold up one axle at a time (both front wheels or both rear wheels), but to never use two jack stands to hold up the front and rear wheels on the same side of the car. I also question the solidity of the pinch welds. So placing a timber post under the rear subframe is my solution to these challenges.

I like this process, but am looking for agreement from people with more experience than me.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Well, I haven't done it with the Jetta or Prius, but with my Miata I use 4 jack stands. Unfortunately my two sets are just a tad from being the same height, so I make sure that the same set is on either the front or the rear.

So what I do is drive up on my ramps, raise the rear, then raise the front. Reverse for lowering.

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Search in not my friend. :>( Anyone know of a "How To" for removing the downpipe on an ALH?

TIA,

df

LeroyFord

TDI
2005 Jetta
2005.5 TDI Jetta, BRM changing fuel filter. Do you need to fill fuel canister with fuel before buttoning up? Thanks LF

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
2005.5 TDI Jetta, BRM changing fuel filter. Do you need to fill fuel canister with fuel before buttoning up? Thanks LF
It is best practice to not start the car with a dry filter.
When removing the old filter, leave the outlet line clamped close to the filter fitting to mimimize spillage and air ingress.
Before reconnecting this line after installing the new filter, cycle the lift pump by turning the key to the on position several times until fuel comes out of the filter outlet, then connect the outlet fuel line and it will start right up.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Or, if you have the "2-hole" filter...

1. Open the bleed screw on top
  2. Place/clamp a clear hose (hardware store is fine) over the screw boss
  3. Route the hose into a catch can to recover the fuel...add the fuel back to the tank when filter priming is complete.
  4. Cycle the key (pump), until you see fuel in the clear hose.
  5. Remove hose
  6. Replace screw, with new crush washer (comes with kit).
  7. Torque to ~7NM (IIRC)
Tony

tilly96ca

TDI
01 Jetta
Hello. Can someone please tell me how to get my remote to work again? It worked before, then stopped. Just changed battery, and nothing happens when i push the buttons . Only the red lite blinks on remote but that is all. Thank you for any help.

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
Happened to me once and I freaked out as I was away from home plus I removed my door lock. I used the key to open the trunk, was ready to climb in that way, LOL. But then the buttons worked! Somehow the ECU lost sync with the key?!

Hello. Can someone please tell me how to get my remote to work again? It worked before, then stopped. Just changed battery, and nothing happens when i push the buttons . Only the red lite blinks on remote but that is all. Thank you for any help.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Check the "new" battery. Sometimes new isn't good.

Doright

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
How come when I look at the whole description of thread I cant find cam timing adjustment shows evering thing else but search feacher sucks

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I can highly recommend the Google advanced search. Put tdiclub.com in the site field and mess with your keywords, it may be called something other than cam timing adjustment.
It seems all forums have weak search engines