HOW TO and do-it-yourself threads

spleecho

I don't kill trees Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI
I made a video on how to install a boostvalve step to step. Can this be posted on this 'How to' or where should I post?

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
How to switch from multi-funtion steering wheel to 3 spoke

This is the wiring diagram of how to switch from multi-funtion steering wheel to sport/3 spoke and still maintain funtional cruise control/horn
there is no too much detail on it but if you have questions you can always contact me.
Btw I should of posted this a year ago:eek:
http://www.delviacevedo.com/Delvis_...tries/2008/6/11_cruise_control_re-wiring.html

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon, 97 F-150 XLT 4x4, 99.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6/5M

This is how I changed out my inner tie rod on passenger side ..havent done the drivers side yet but appears to be the same procedure:
Bought this narrow crescent wrench at Wally World. It just fits flats on the tie rod. Accessable between H frame and lower control arm. You need to turn steering wheel till you can reach the flats on t/rod in the sweet spot seen in second photo. The hardest part is getting the boot/rack bellow off and back on. I recommend wearing mechanics gloves when working the boot around , its a bugger. Also, make sure to line the bellow air hole up again when installing the boot.

Last edited:

Wallace

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 quattro.
How-to Timing belts-hydraulic tensioners.

Hi, I did my belt a while back using MoGolf's procedure on here which I found excellent. My Car's a UK AJM engine code rather than a US BEW though and so has a Hydraulic Tensioner, so I got stuck at this point and Mo sent me a file for the tensioner and suggested I did pictures as this would be something unusual and not on this site.
So I have finally done this and put it all files on my Home club site in Scotland (ScottishVAG ,Net) in a post with attached files and links to everything inculding the things on this site. I have done some info on tools and parts required (UK style) and the pictures include everything I thought maybe teh diagrams etc didn't explain that well eg how do you fit the tensioner locking tool, what does it lock against, what way up does it go? You kind of don't know this stuff until you do it but the pics should help.
Hope it is of use to you guys too;http://www.scottishvag.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=54820
All the best.
Wallace (AKA Rubberdubber) :D

dogdome

TDI
2014 Golf TDI
Replacing headlights on the New Beetle ('06+)

I looked and looked - couldn't seem to find a link on this WITH pictures (that stupid unlock bolt is a booger to find).

Just used this today to refresh myself on what Tom in Stafford taught me when changing them out last year. The dealer should be paying ME $45 per light, this is a cinch. 10-15 minutes max if not faster once you have the hang of it.

Also - the drivers side is the pain in the butt side, but you do NOT have to remove the battery. You can work around it - might take a little more work and manuvering, but it is doable.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/technical-how/34856-how-2006-headlight-removal.html

pa_elgin

TDI
Jetta, 2001, white

Chunkerz

Veteran Member
TDI
'99.5 Golf
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=295696

Is this a possibility to add to the "how to's"? The little plastic lever on the transmission that locks it in place so you can adjust the shifter cables breaks pretty easily (well, they do in my experience) and this could show others that all hope is not lost if they break their lever.

TDI Train

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Correct hose sizes for vacuum lines?

Hi, I have heard conflicting accounts of what the hose ID is supposed to be for these vacuum lines. Based on this thread, I purchased 3mm and 4mm ID hoses. Is this correct?

Guys, I know this is not a how-to. Just stashing it here so it is easy to find.

Silicone hose sizes/lengths for the A3/A4/B4 cars. Viton tubing for the fuel return lines.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]mcmaster .com[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Ft.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5041K22[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Metric Silicone Rubber Tubing Firm, 3 mm Id, 8 mm Od, 2.5 mm Wall, Red (Same as 5041K52) [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
Ft.
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5041K522[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Metric Silicone Rubber Tubing Firm, 3 mm Id, 8 mm Od, 2.5 mm Wall, Blue (Same as 5041K52) [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT]
Ft.
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5041K521[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Metric Silicone Rubber Tubing Firm, 3 mm Id, 8 mm Od, 2.5 mm Wall, Black (Same as 5041K52) [/FONT]
Ft.
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5054K531[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Metric Silicone Rubber Tubing Soft, 4 mm Id, 8 mm Od, 2 mm Wall, Black (Same as 5054K53) [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT]
Ft.
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5119K41[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]High Temperature Viton Rubber Tubing Firm, 1/8" Id, 1/4" Od, 1/16" Wall, Black [/FONT]

A3 Jetta: 3 foot of blue/red. 12 foot black 3mm. 5 foot black 4mm
B4 Passat: 6 foot red/blue. 15 foot black 3mm. 5 foot black 4mm
A4 B/G/J: 10 foot of black 3 mm. 5 foot black 4mm.

With all these numbers, you will have some left over. Not a bad thing to have a little vacuum tube around.

Viton hose: 3 foot is more than you need. You will have some left over after replacing the interinjector lines and return line to the injection pump.

[/FONT]

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
I have previously used 3mm, in all 3 colors, just so I don't have to bother with keeping track of multiple sizes.

Tony

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
To change the hood pull handle

Could not find the link to change the hood pull handle.

As many of you know, the original equipment plastic hood pull handle is quite fragile, and prone to breaking. THis happened to me last month.

I bought the Kerma TDI aluminum billet hood pull handle, which maybe a bit, but is nice, and will never break . Or you can get the original equipment plastic one.

First thing, is to have a flat head screw driver, one small, and one large one. USe small one to remove the two center plastic retaining plugs that holds the center grill in place. This will facilitate the install and removal of the hood handle, specially if you are installing the aluminum hood handle.

Gently pop off the front center hood, by first gently pulling the two upper corners outwards. Then gently pop the rest UPwards. You do not need to remove the whole section, but just leave it loosely supported by bumper.

Next, pop off the retaining clip that holds the hood handle in place. DO not lose this piece. It is a good idea to place a white towel beneath the radiator, or large white cardboard , underneath your work area, in case a small piece drops. I also used a magnetic part retriever, which came in handy when i dropped the small clip.

NOW, to remove old one, if it is not in pieces already,,,just place large flathead screwdriver between the fork ends, and pry open and pop both ends off of the retaining pin. Do not lose the retaining clip.

If you are using OEM plastic handle, just thread it through the front grill, position the retaining clip over retaining pin. Now use flathead to pry open fork..and slide over the retaining pin. Reposition the clip, oil..and you are done

IF you are installing the aluminum handle by Kerma, First remove the retaining pin and throw away, as the Kerma one comes with a screw and nut. After removal of old handle, take new handle, thread thru the front grill..and then place over the hole of latch mechanism. Be sure retaining clip is also in place. NOW, after positioning and lining up the hole of the new handle fork, clip, and latch mechanism, Use a needle nose plier and place/thread screw from the left hand side...and push it thru to the right, making sure you thread it thru the retaining clip hole.
I made a mistake, and it missed the hole, and i had to start over.

Once all is threaded and aligned, be very careful with the nut. It is very small...and easy to get lost in this small confines/space. Use your left finger to secure the screw and the whole mechanism....and use your right fingers to screw on the nut , from the right side . There is more room on the right side...so as you can hand/finger tighten the screw on. I tried doing it from right to left,,but not enough room..and it is more easy to lose the nut that way.

Finger tighten, then use the small hex wrench to hold the screw, while using the needle nose pliers to tighten the nut down. Then replace retaining clip..

Push down on front grill, push in both upper corners of grill. Push in both plastic retaining pins for the grill... Oil the hood latch mechanism,,,and you are done.

jdayberry

TDI
jetta 2006 tdi
I have a bad throw out bearing on my clutch . I want to install new clutch, bearing and hydrauclic cylinder,and pressure plate ....I did this before on chevy and ford trucks, however never did a 2006 jetta diesel.Are there any special tools or alignment kits I need to know about.Can anyone give me step by step procedures,Or any things to be aware of..thanks j.dayberry

fredspock

TDI
1999 1/2 jetta
How to: remove dashboard?

I have a 1999 1/2 jetta and the sunroof leaks like a seive on the passenger side. I believe the drain tube that runs from the roof down to the outlet is ruptured. I base this on the fact that I ran a length of weedwacker wire through the tube and it didn't come out the other end AND some test water I poured in spilled onto the carpet from under the dash...I think. Anyway I think I need to remove the dash to get to the drain tube. How do I remove the dash or where can I look for reference?

A_Shifter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
I have a 1999 1/2 jetta and the sunroof leaks like a seive on the passenger side. I believe the drain tube that runs from the roof down to the outlet is ruptured. I base this on the fact that I ran a length of weedwacker wire through the tube and it didn't come out the other end AND some test water I poured in spilled onto the carpet from under the dash...I think. Anyway I think I need to remove the dash to get to the drain tube. How do I remove the dash or where can I look for reference?
Check with VW - pretty sure I got a service bulletin from them recently about that very issue - for what it's worth anyway...(They don't get to touch my car)

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
How to change a CV Joint / How to change a drive shaft , HD video ~ Newzboys

How to Install Fuel Door Remote
, HD video ~ Newzboys

Good video, however you changed a driveshaft (with CV joints) not just the joint. Perhaps a re-title to "how to change a drive shaft" would allow it to be more easily found when searched for.

Good point, also worth mentioning at the same time is that changing the entire drive shaft (with CV joints) is a hell of a lot easier, and faster than changing a single CV joint

Last edited:

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
Wingnut, this page has grown a lot because these cars have lot of issues. So let it grow as more problems with the car (TDI) surfaces.