HOW TO and do-it-yourself threads

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
How much off was the timing? These are interference engines and they can't be off too much without damaging the engine. You can also check the list here for those who have a VCDS scan tool to check for codes and such. If you find someone near you scan and post it here. Also there is a local forum you may check to see if there is anyone else near who may be able to help. There is also a trusted mechanics list if you need someone. Plenty of info in the model specific forum posted earlier. Do some searching and reading while waiting.

nature boy

TDI
1998 New Beetle AGR
Silicone hose and viton tubing

Guys, I know this is not a how-to. Just stashing it here so it is easy to find.
Silicone hose sizes/lengths for the A3/A4/B4 cars. Viton tubing for the fuel return lines.
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]mcmaster .com
Ft.
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5041K22[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Metric Silicone Rubber Tubing Firm, 3 mm Id, 8 mm Od, 2.5 mm Wall, Red (Same as 5041K52)

Ft.
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5041K522[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Metric Silicone Rubber Tubing Firm, 3 mm Id, 8 mm Od, 2.5 mm Wall, Blue (Same as 5041K52)

Ft.
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5041K521[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Metric Silicone Rubber Tubing Firm, 3 mm Id, 8 mm Od, 2.5 mm Wall, Black (Same as 5041K52)

Ft.
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5054K531[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Metric Silicone Rubber Tubing Soft, 4 mm Id, 8 mm Od, 2 mm Wall, Black (Same as 5054K53)

Ft.
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5119K41[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]High Temperature Viton Rubber Tubing Firm, 1/8" Id, 1/4" Od, 1/16" Wall, Black [/FONT]
A3 Jetta: 3 foot of blue/red. 12 foot black 3mm. 5 foot black 4mm
B4 Passat: 6 foot red/blue. 15 foot black 3mm. 5 foot black 4mm
A4 B/G/J ALH: 10 foot of black 3 mm. 5 foot black 4mm.
With all these numbers, you will have some left over. Not a bad thing to have a little vacuum tube around.
Viton hose: 3 foot is more than you need. You will have some left over after replacing the interinjector lines and return line to the injection pump.

[/FONT]
I'm trying to search at McMaster for silicone tubing and nothing is coming up. Just plastic...?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Plastic? Probably not great - you want a combination of flexibility to bend and stretch, and strong enough not to collapse under vacuum, yet heat-resistant so it doesn't melt. Amazon I'm sure will have more than a few options in an array of designer colours if you can't find at McMaster.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.

MartyK

TDI
dead battery

I,m having electrical problems with my 2006 jetta tdi . something is draining my battery . my door locks are locking on there own after I unlock doors with fob they relock after 25 seconds if door not opened by then. I pulled the fuse for the front door controls and it still locks. something is draining the battery I checked the fuses for drain and can't find any drain through them. The wires at the door hinge area under the rubber boot look fine. I was thinking of pulling drivers door panel off and looking for some bad wiring. Does any one have any ideas Thanks
Do you still have the car? Are you still looking for an answer to this problem?

Last edited:

MartyK

TDI
dead battery

I,m having electrical problems with my 2006 jetta tdi . something is draining my battery . my door locks are locking on there own after I unlock doors with fob they relock after 25 seconds if door not opened by then. I pulled the fuse for the front door controls and it still locks. something is draining the battery I checked the fuses for drain and can't find any drain through them. The wires at the door hinge area under the rubber boot look fine. I was thinking of pulling drivers door panel off and looking for some bad wiring. Does any one have any ideas Thanks

Troubled1

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
If you have a bit of time, it's easy to find the draw. Open your fuse panel and one at a time, pull the fuses and gently put them back in. If you find one that sparks as you re-insert it, that will be the one causing the draw.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah - not a great method. All of the things that "wake up" in the car when you open the door are drawing power and thus will spark.

@HumbleMechanic (not a member here, even though I keep goading him to do so :) ) put together a really good video on how to actually determine where your parasitic draw is coming from. Summary page; video below.
(And if you watch any of his more recent videos, this also makes a great example of how someone who cares about what they're doing improves with repetition; info is good and production is competent, but you see in his more recent stuff how much he's involved and improved as a video creator).

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How to re wire mk4 golf Hatch to not always be locked.

This makes it operate like a 5ᵗʰ door, by tying it into the control for the driver door. It is always openable, til you lock the driver door. As it should have come from the factory...
Before anyone jumps on this how-to, they should be aware the same thing is accomplish-able in ~5minutes with a laptop and $20 "dumb" OBD diagnostic cable.
Reference items:
- thread 1
- thread 2
- software tool
- spreadsheet