New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

6D2

TDI
1962 Kombi Grey/Black/Turkis
Re: Starting post for Newbie\'s

Well I wanted to intro myself. Im Chris I live in Tampa, I have been a member for a long while but wasn't big into the TDI. My wife is getting another one (just sold an 01 Jetta)tuesday she is picking up her Spice Red 05. Maybe I will be able to come out to the GTG and meet some of you fine knowledgible folks. I have already met Bill (Viesel)last month he ws checking out my 01 Jetta I sold to Costa (NorfolkTDI).... Once again it will be nice to meet you guys and gals.. later

firepiston

Starting post for Newbie\'s

Hello all from a newbie.
I registered a long while ago but have not posted much since I do not own a TDI. I have started to look at used ones recently. I've searched the forums but have not found the answer to this question:

Is the digital odometer easily hacked? Put another way, can I trust the odometer reading? Is it possible to disable it or roll it back? Thanks.

DareDiesel

Veteran Member

Is the digital odometer easily hacked? Put another way, can I trust the odometer reading? Is it possible to disable it or roll it back? Thanks.
Easily? Nope.

Trust it? Yup.

Disable it or roll it back? Not easy to near impossible.

All in all... Don't worry about this. You should worry about TB changes and oil type used, etc.

LightningTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 United Grey Passat TDI Wagon with Grey Leather; '05 Golf, 5-speed automatic TDI; '04 Beetle 5M TDI; '02 Beetle auto TDI

Hey Chris. Welcome! I am in tampa as well. Hope to meet you at the GTG.

6D2

TDI

Hey there what part of tampa are you in? I am up near USF. and I hope to be out at the GTG in two weeks... later

6D2

TDI

OK we are now TDI owners again.. my wife's gasser beetle is gone... I will post pics when I get the new rims and Tires on it...

Sprunch

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf Gl Bright Green

Hey all, John from Buffalo NY chiming in...just bought a 99.5 GolfGL 5spd for a song and decided to join the biggest baddest TDi forum there is...BTW, I'm a Parts Manager at a single point VW Dealer so hit me up with your stealer needs.

Sprunch

Veteran Member
TDI

well alrighty...ya PM me or use my e-mail or if you wanna drop the dime 716-662-5500 ask for John in parts.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus

Wow...thanks for doing this!
Let me know if I can add you to the "Sources" page--see sig.
-BB

Sprunch

Veteran Member
TDI

Sure why not...not trying to spam the board, just offering a alternative to the '****ty' Dealer sevice that some have recieved...

nocturne420

TDI

Hello,
I'm not sure that this is the right place to ask but I'll try it anyway. I'm really interested in purchasing a Jetta TDI but it seems they are not available in CA, is this true? If so, how can I get around this? Can I buy it in Nevada and bring it in?
Thanks,

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

Hello,
I'm not sure that this is the right place to ask but I'll try it anyway. I'm really interested in purchasing a Jetta TDI but it seems they are not available in CA,
It's not the right place. Post in the TDI Cars for Sale/Wanted forum. Short answer: any 2003-or-earlier is okay, any 2004-2005 with minimum of 7500 miles is okay.

MJLTDI

TDI
Jetta, 2005, Black

Hello all, Newbie here, just got my new TDI this past weekendjavascript:void(0)
and I love it! I shound not have waited so long to get one. This is a great forum, look forward to use it in the future!

mparker326

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2002 Gray

All:

Thanks for a great website. I happened across it while trying to avoid going to the dealer for a check engine light for my 2002 Golf TDI.

The MIL was a result of 2 bad glow plugs. Thanks to glow plug 101 I was able to easily diagnose & replace.

The how to clips are excellent. I now have changed my own oil, fuel filter, & air filter. The Pela 6000 is awesome.

StElmo

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Ram 2500 6.7; '15 Golf SportWagen

Not so newbie... as this is my second TDi and my third post on the forum. Second TDi you say? Yes, I was foolish enough to trade my '02 MK4 Jetta TDi in for a Passat (plain Jane 1.8T). Although a year older and 50K miles more than the one we parted with 1.4 years ago, we are much happier with the color combinations and options (heated leather seats vs heated velour).

For those of you looking to upsize your TDi for the Passat, because the rear facing car seat won't fit without somebody eating the dash... I have some good gouge for you. Oh, and the new Jettas (MK V) will fit rear facing car seats better than the MK IV.

TDIASH195

TDI
PASSAT, 1997, BLACK

My name is Ash. I have a 97 vw tdi with almost 300,000 miles on it. I need to find from all of you experienced folks were is the best place to find replacement engine parts, with out being taken to the cleaners. So far i have found a place to buy piston rings for 120 each set, but i still need conecting rod bearings. I have found a place to get a new engine for $2,750 + tax, but then my odometer would say 300k, but the engine would be new. Any, and all help on fixing my engine will be appreciated. I am working on a limited budget, but mainly don't want to be taken.

Thanks Ash

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus

What's wrong with the engine? It might not need replacing...
Check my sig for parts--for other parts that you find please add a post to the list and I will edit the first post.
Cheers, and welcome to the club!
-BB

VariantB3_VR6

TDI
05 B5-A, 01 A4-M

Well, Ive lurked on here for awhile.. Not knowing that much on diesels, I just read..
Tomorrow, if all goes well, my wife and I are going to look at a '05 Golf GLS TDi with CWP and ESP. Reflex Silver w/ Black velour interior.. Imagine that..
It is a 5m. Since I currently own a VW, I will take advantage of the Loyal Owner program, provided we get it..

R3LzX

TDI
2003 TDI

New here, previous owner of a 98TDI (white) now I just bought a used 2003 1.9 TDI (also white)

Glad to be here and enjoying the milage

Grrrrr

TDI
2001 Silver Jetta

Yay! Just got my 2001 Silver TDI Jetta. 78,400 miles on it. I'm so excited!! Just wanted to say hi to everyone and that I'll finally be able to post with some knowledge.....or not. There are some things I need to accomplish with my TDI. So thanks in advance to everyone who'll be oh so helpful.

Melissa (Mel)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

Hi Mel. It looks like you've been lurking here for awhile, so I guess you know whether your TDI has had a recent timing belt change, or else it's due or overdue for one?

After such a happy and optimistic first post, I'd hate for your second one to be a report of a bad experience.

Wazobia

TDI
2002 GLS TDI

Thanks to you all. This place has been a source of information expecially for those that are not too technically inclined but willing to learn.

I have a 2002 golf tdi with 160k. For about a week now, I notice the trunk won't open. I use both the remote and the trunk release button on the driver side door to try and open the trunk, but no success. I also tried using the key to open it manually, but the key won't even go in into the key hole. I have applied WD40 into the key hole on the trunk hoping that might help me to open the trunk manually, it still won't open.

I lock and unlock the doors with the remote. Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Grrrrr

TDI
2001 Silver Jetta

After a bad experience with a timing belt years ago, that's the first plan of attack for any car I aquire. Thanks for the reminder though. Every little bit helps.
Mel

Guttboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MkV 2005.5 Platinum Gray/Gray Leather Pk2

Hi Everyone!

Took the plunge and purchased a MkV New Jetta Manual TDI!!!!

I am very excited about getting it in 1-2 weeks. Came over here from VWVortex and have been finding TONS of information here!

Take care!!!

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A

Hey Ash, have you crossed the 300K mile mark? If so, hasn't your odometer gone to 0? That was the weirdest feeling when it happened to me. It not says 1100 miles, though I ne know i've got 301,100.

kcs

TDI
2005 Passat TDI, auto 2.0

Greetings from the NW. Have made a decision to buy a new or relatively new Beetle TDI. Questions I have are...is there a year TDI Beetle to stay away from or go beyond? Should I get a GL or GLS? Planning on stick and looking forward to the mileage. Any advice appreciated.
KC