Strut Rubber Bushings in Engine Compartment

Dieselista

TDI
06 Jetta, 03 Bug, 74 TR6, 92 Ducati 907ie, 96 F250 PowerStroke
Does this look normal? I've owned this car for a while and can't believe I never noticed this, there's no dust line around where the bushings would engage the body, but they sure do look like they have a slot for engagement.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
yes. totaly normal depending on the suspension parts. some have almost flush, some have as much as yours. i for one with brand new parts bilstien and upper HD bearing rubbers and what not had as much as you do.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
The struts just sit in the cups in the body. Or rather the body just sits on the bushings at the top of the struts.

If you jack up the car you will reach a point where it lifts away from the bushing and the top of the strut will move around. Keep raising the body and that gap will close up and the top flange will hit the body and start lifting the wheel.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Totally normal. A gap of 3/8" or so is fine, much more than that and you need new strut mounts.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
There will be a gap of varying amounts depending on the equipment. If the retaining top dish (and the strut shaft) is far off-center that would indicate that the rubber bushing is collapsing.