2001 TDI injector pump leaking?

kathie659

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001
Was losing power on hills - 1st mechanic said it wasn't worth fixing, but wouldn't tell me what the problem was. (But he'd buy the car from me for $750).

Second mechanic:
1. Timing off the gauge.
2. Found "oil" on timing belt - caused stretching - threw off timing
3. Believes its the injector pump (but called to see if i wanted to proceed)
4. He indicated if the pump is bad (and he can find a reliable used one) repair could be $1,500 (he'd be changing timing belt and water pump too).

I think this is a decent price - and he did give me worse case scenario (said its unusual - he's only seen 3 pumps go completely in 25 years of service)
It's a 17 yr old vehicle - I've maintained it pretty well and it only has 145K miles. I'm thinking this - I get 50 miles to the gallon... I will soon be driving 60 miles a day....If he can fix everything for $2,000? that's much less then buying another car (and I can't get another diesel jetta)...

Just wondering what others would do in this instance......

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
Is the cam/crank timing off? If it is then you need to confirm that you don't have bent valves.

I guess $1500 for a belt/water pump/tensioners (he is changing everything right) and a good used pump isn't a terrible price. If you DIY you could do it for $500-$750 probably.

He needs to find the source of the oil on the belt though, that won't be from the pump.

Also, don't drive it anymore if you suspect he is telling the truth about the belt stretching.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Timing belts are pretty much oil proof. I don't think timing is off due to that.

When was the timing belt done last? By someone who knew what he was doing? Might never have been timed right.

Losing power on hills you say. Like can't maintain speed or just not quite as good as it should be? Sudden onset like limp mode?

A used pump is likely to start leaking and need resealing like yours maybe needs.

Get thee to someone who knows these cars.

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
You are going to need to find an HONEST shop/mechanic. It appears as though you are currently dealing with predators. And, I do mean predators.

This not only happens to women. I've seen local shops absolutely pummel men as well.

It is rather easy for me to spot them esp. when they want to "buy" the car from you. They run up a bill which they know you will be insane to pay....and hope for you to panic and sell and run.

It is a "win-win" for them.....cheat you on "repairs." Buy you out for a quick fix and profit from your inability to know what is really going on.

See if someone here is local to you and can point you in a "safe" direction.

Simply identify the approximate area you are in and see if anyone can offer a solution to an honest shop/individual.

Last edited:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Price wise, a touch steep, as used pumps are inexpensive. At least here they can be had for a couple hundred dollars. $800 is in the area of a complete TB job. Seals are inexpensive also and not too time consuming. Good chance he is correct about the leak, although cam seals are common, crank seals less so. The leak obviously should be attended to, but may not be your loss of power issue. Someone who can log engine data would be helpful to you, worth the time as guessing and tossing parts at it can add up needlessly if diagnosis is incorrect

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, used pump can cost anything and you're likely to get anything.
1. new pump
2. rebuild by DFIS (can cost as much as new)
Thread title says leaking pump.
3. Fix the leak, many have had success, just depends.
Maybe mechanic #3? There are some good ones in parts of PA.
4. good used pump, iffy.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Also, VCDS check on injection quantity can reveal something about pump health. If IQ is fairly steady, resealing the pump may be a lower cost option. With Your mileage excessive wear is not real likely. When was your last timing belt? Mechanic #2 has VCDS I take it, since he had a timing reading?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
In my opinion, at 145k miles, there is no way the Injection Pump is bad ... nothing more than a leak that a $15 kit will take care of.

I agree ............ you should find a TDI Guru!

kathie659

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001
Injector pump

I took car to mechanic, don't want to ruin it, by running it.

My daughter has used this mechanic since 2001 - never a complaint (and she is as cheap as I am)

I will look at the gurus list (if I can find it again) - in the past, the closest was about 2 hours away....to far when there is a problem.....

I can rebuild houses, but other than tiny repairs (window mechanisms, lights, etc) I know nothing about cars and have no tools....

I guess the bottom line is - I'm emotionally attached to the car (as dumb as that seems) and will nurse it along this time.

I have a figure in mind - if it goes over that? It will have to go....

kathie659

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001
Oh and btw he did say it would be very unusual for the pump to be gone, I'm hoping he was giving worse cases to prepare me!

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
What part of PA? There are two known gurus up by the PA/NJ/NY border zone, and I know a guy in NJ further south that I have trusted my car to for several years now.

RallySport

TDI
2002 Golf TDI ALH
Are we talking no power? or LOW power?

After checking the essentials like timing belt being intact, and valve timing, i would suggest checking out your MAF. Just a thought. My car had inconsistent power and would not keep speed with the cruise on. Maybe a different problem but its worth checking into. Unplug it and see if it helps. If it does help, replace your MAF.

RallySport

TDI
2002 Golf TDI ALH
Kathie,

If im understanding correctly..... The car runs correct? But it loses power on hills?

Check MAF. It's between the airbox and intake hose.

To check,

Unplug;drive car.

If you have power up hills your MAF is bad.

If no change; problem is elsewhere.

Goodluck,

Adam

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I took car to mechanic, don't want to ruin it, by running it.

My daughter has used this mechanic since 2001 - never a complaint (and she is as cheap as I am)

I will look at the gurus list (if I can find it again) - in the past, the closest was about 2 hours away....to far when there is a problem.....

I can rebuild houses, but other than tiny repairs (window mechanisms, lights, etc) I know nothing about cars and have no tools....

I guess the bottom line is - I'm emotionally attached to the car (as dumb as that seems) and will nurse it along this time.

I have a figure in mind - if it goes over that? It will have to go....
Rule out the pump leaking. That anyone can do.

kathie659

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001
powerless....

The car, when running correctly will pull this particular hill at 75 mph +. Running as is? maybe 40 mph.....even on the flat it just isn't where it needs to be to drive safely on interstate.

He is still diagnosing car - it's my second (highway) car - I told him no hurry....and he listened!

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
Call Jim Robbins Auto Care in Dubois, PA. He used to be the Diesel mechanical at Central VW. He does all my timing belt work and is very reasonably priced.

I have not had any issues with him. He is extremely busy so i would recommend that you tell him that you need it done and he will fit you in to his schedule. Don't tell him whenever. You'll see why when you get there.

kathie659

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001
Car repaired - Not injector

Forgive me if i get this wrong - mechanic was excited that this car is now repaired. Let me start with - he is a true car geek. He thanked me for giving him time to completely go over the car.

I am picking it up in 2 weeks (when I have time) and will post the results.

Crank case was cracked, spring broken in timing belt assembly, extreme carbon buildup (due to age and timing being so far off). There was a 4th issue, but I had nothing to write with and am trying to recreate from memory... He has a full report and pictures of all the damaged parts and I can have them if I want them (I don't but good to know).

Price was $1600 and included new timing belt (and inspection). He said parts were only about $400.00. I know without a complete list of repairs, I cant' determine if it was to high. I'm happy with the cost - a new car is not in the budget and the cost is less than a few months car payment.

I realize it's a 17 year old car. Many wouldn't feel it was worth the repair. I will be driving 60 miles round trip 3 - 5 days a week... at 50 mpg? This car will make it much less costly And it is a joy to drive... it has no rust, mechanic he gave it a thorough check up - he said the only thing he found was front struts a little soft - but no need to change them at this point.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Cracked crank case? Something lost in translation I think.

Broken spring must be in the tensioner. I hope the cam didn't go out of time too.

I hope he knew to replace all the parts touching the timing belt as well as a couple single use bolts.

I don't think spending money, even $1600, to keep that car on the road is a bad investment. A new car would drop more than that in value the first day.

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
Good to know that he got it running. If you dont mind, could you share the name of the shop you used? you can PM me if you'd like. I live in very close in proximity to Clearfield Co. and would like to have a second option just in case.

These cars are definitely worth keeping on the road.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
$1600 for timing belt job, resolving the fuel pump leak, dealing with carbon buildup and the mystery fourth issue doesn't sound too bad, all things considered - you're still miles ahead of buying even another used car and getting it up to a "known good state".

kathie659

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001
Mechanic: Hemini enterprise. W. College Ave. State College, Pa. This is first time I've dealt with him. My daughter took the car there for years...

merk

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta sedan, 03 silver wagon
I think you did well for $1600, Timing belt and manifold cleaning, plus 2 other issues. More importantly you may have found the person to keep your baby alive for many more miles.
And you won't find many of us here that think a low mileage older TDI aint worth repairing :eek:)hehe
Price was $1600 and included new timing belt (and inspection). He said parts were only about $400.00. I know without a complete list of repairs, I cant' determine if it was to high. I'm happy with the cost - a new car is not in the budget and the cost is less than a few months car payment.

I realize it's a 17 year old car. Many wouldn't feel it was worth the repair. I will be driving 60 miles round trip 3 - 5 days a week... at 50 mpg? This car will make it much less costly And it is a joy to drive... it has no rust, mechanic he gave it a thorough check up - he said the only thing he found was front struts a little soft - but no need to change them at this point.