Injector pump lifespan

cal71919

TDI
2012 Jetta tdi
I may go see a 03' tdi golf later and was curious as to how long an oem injector pump would last. The car was given up to an auto shop in town when the owner decided the repair cost were more than the value of the car. The shop refurbished the cylinder head, replaced the timing belt, and water pump. The car is very clean, inside and out. As for the milage, 502k. the shop doesn't have any knowledge of when or if the injector pump has been replaced so should I just assume its the original pump or is there no way a pump would last that long? Obviously, thats going to be my angle to bargain with but would there be a date same or code on the pump? Honestly, I only need to get a year or so out of it but I'd like to be able to get something out of it then. Blue book puts it between 1k-2600. Is that accurate? I appreciate any help, as I'm eager to learn.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I'd worry more about overall wear on a car that old with that man miles. You can spend several thousand getting the rest of it up to par if it hasn't been kept up.

I would not personally pay more than a grand for it, if the interior and the rest was in good shape.

cal71919

TDI
2012 Jetta tdi
Surprisingly, the interior and outside has been very well cared for. I've seen some trashed out tdi's with 150-200k logged on the chassis but this golf looks like it could have been towed behind an RV for most of those miles. I'm hoping the shop will give me the previous owners info so I can talk to him.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That pump could have been replaced or rebuilt a quarter million miles ago. I'd not single that out one way or the other, look the car over and go by its general condition.

FWIW, pumps on these typically start leaking long before they wear out. Around here, not many ALHs left that have not already had the pumps addressed due to leaks.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
I think Bosch sets the lifespan of the pump around 15 years. After that they start leaking. Wear of the pump is (nearly) 100% dependent on fuel quality.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I think Bosch sets the lifespan of the pump around 15 years. After that they start leaking. Wear of the pump is (nearly) 100% dependent on fuel quality.
Oh crap! My Golf hit the 15-year mark on July 29th, so the IP must be on borrowed time!

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Mine is 18 on my 2001 bug built June 2000. No leaks and still seems to work ok. Not sure of the symptoms of a failure though.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
As said before, life of the pump depends on the fuel quality. However, it's also dependent upon the cooling.

Generally, I agree with everyone else about the pump not being a huge condition.

I would check for running gear and wheel bearings if the mechanical is good.

Often times if they took that good of care for the interior and exterior they would take equal care of the mechanical.

Oftentimes, not saying that there wasn't a female owner who was anal about the looks and had no clue about mechanical.
Generally though, if that is the case, it would have died with a lot less mileage.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
My brother had a 2003 and I have a 2004, purchased six months apart. (Purchased new)

His injection pump wore out after about 10 years and he paid a couple grand or whatever to get it replaced. My original pumpe duse injectors are still working perfectly.

Those ALH engines just don’t last like the BEW. :D

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I think that you have a misconception about the ALH vs BEW.

Pump life on an ALH vs BEW is far different and your fuel/modifications are likely different from your brother.

I would believe that mine is original in my 03 and is spot on.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
We live in the same area and therefore use the same fuel.

My BEW is modified and beaten on.

His ALH is not modified. It failed first. BEW for the win!

It’s a sample size of two cars, so not very meaningful in the grand scheme of things.

jgerni

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2006 NB TDI
2001 Jetta with 415k miles has original Injection Pump, turbo, clutch, wheel bearings etc.

IP started leaking a little around 375K. Just snugged up the 4 bolts on top and it hasn't leaked since. Still getting 50+ mpg

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I've done about 100+ injection pumps on VE cars. I have done exactly TWO injectors on PDs.... but I have also replaced a lot of tandem pumps and lift pumps on them as well. Of course, a PD's tandem and lift pumps are cheap and easy in comparison to the ALH's injection pump.

Fortunately, all three of my current ALHs have recently DFIS rebuilt pumps on them, so I should be good for a long while. :) My PD has never needed anything done to its fuel system aside from filters, in 200k miles and 14 years.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
As with anything, lifespan depends on many factors. How it was driven and most importantly, the quality of fuel that was used, certainly any lubricity additive will help prolong the life of the pump.

You'd be surprised at how long a pump goes after just a thorough reseal. Case pressure and timing advance issues often fixed by replacing o rings on the case pressure relief valve in the process. Fixed quite a few timing advance issues just by doing that.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
My ALH pump went 297,000 miles (and this was an automatic (11mm) fuel pump) . Replaced and I'm now up to 363,000 + miles.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I would say the cams on your car will set you back more than a pump on mine[emoji3]
My IP's trip to DFIS set me back $750 or so.
A cam should be maybe half of that, but I don't think they all go bad, only a few.
Both engines would probably get a TB, etc, so labor won't be vastly different, too.

cal71919

TDI
2012 Jetta tdi
The best part about this 'debate' is that the OP bought a 2012.

I couldn't find anything near by with a clean enough interior and I came to grips with the fact that my back issues will keep me from wrenching on anything so I bought something newer. I'll be looking for a reputable shop in Tx in a few months to do some upgrades.

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
Would like to know what the highest mileage pump is. I'm at 465k on mine. Had a top cover leak repaired at 350k.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Me too, I have been resisting the hammer mod because I don't want to mess with a perfectly timed pump.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Would like to know what the highest mileage pump is. I'm at 465k on mine. Had a top cover leak repaired at 350k.
I've had a spare IP for about five years, as I've waited for my original one to fail. But it's still working just fine at just shy of 715k miles. I credit the Cat 2-micron fuel filters I've used for about the last 680k miles.

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
I've had a spare IP for about five years, as I've waited for my original one to fail. But it's still working just fine at just shy of 715k miles. I credit the Cat 2-micron fuel filters I've used for about the last 680k miles.

Thanks, good to know. That filter mod has been on my list for years.