What tires should I get?

alally

TDI
2000 Golf Automatic
My Baby needs new shoes, and I'd like to get a sense of what folks are using on their TDIs before deciding which brand I'll commit to. My 2000 Golf takes 195/65 R15, and the current tires are 91H. What do you guys like, and don't like in your tires? Me, I'd probably gravitate toward all-season. I am less interested in performance, although I do like good handling. I'd like a minimum of noise, and being a TDI, fuel economy is a big consideration - do low-rolling-resistance tires really save that much fuel, and do you have to sacrifice traction & handling? I live in the PNW, where it rains 9 months of the year, and we get a couple weeks of ice & snow a year on average. I'd like to spend as little as possible to get all that, of course, esp. as it has 228,000 miles on it (not that I don't expect to use all 60000 miles on whatever tires I get). Is there anyone who has had especially good results from an el-cheapo tire, like they sell at Walmart? Douglas, Falken, Kumho, Longlong? (gee, I wonder where that one's from!). Anyone care to voice thier opinions? Thanks for letting me pick y'all's brains.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I like Bridgestore Ecopia 422.

Experiance - DO NOT cheap out and get anything less than 91 H rated tires.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
Usually the highest mileage (treadwear) Michelin tire I can find, sometimes I'll go with Bridgestone. LRR definitely make a difference on our Nissan Leaf, I wouldn't make that a priority on a gas or diesel car.

Last edited:

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
One word..."Coopers".
Awesome overall performance, quiet, rated for 80K miles
Just make sure that your suspension is solid. Befor you buy ANY tire brand...have your tie-rods, ball joints and suspension in good shape. Worn suspension components is one of the more frequent causes of premature tire wear.
But Coopers are an awesome tire...and American made

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
My last set was Mastercraft LSRs.... they held to the road real well in any conditions, but I was disappointed when it was time to replace them at 30k miles and one had a bubble on the sidewall at that point... But I got 4 50R17s mounted for 400$ so I guess it wasn't all bad.... Im running Cooper CS5s now, also a pretty decent tire im hoping it lasts longer:rolleyes:

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Pirelli P7s have been awesome on my Passat
I am going to try P4s this next time and eliminate my winter tires

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
One word..."Coopers".
Awesome overall performance, quiet, rated for 80K miles
Just make sure that your suspension is solid. Befor you buy ANY tire brand...have your tie-rods, ball joints and suspension in good shape. Worn suspension components is one of the more frequent causes of premature tire wear.
But Coopers are an awesome tire...and American made
Thanks for sharing your experience. What makes the Coopers stand out against Michelin, Continental, etc. ?

Here they are ranked 13th (Cooper CS5 Grand Touring):

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ST

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I'm running Firestone Champion Fuel Fighters (weird name; why fight fuel?) now on the recommendation of my primary mechanic. I wanted General Altimax RT43s because they've got a great rep and they're inexpensive. My tech said he liked the Altimax as an all-season tire but that their snow traction came at the expense of noise. Since I run winter tires he recommended I go with something else smoother and quieter. I don't care about longevity because the rubber will age out faster than I'll put miles on the car.

The Champions are much smoother and quieter than either the General Altimax Arctics I run in the winter (natch) and the Bridgestone Ecopia summer tires (i.e., not the all-season 422s) I timed out on. Wet traction seems to be at least on par with the Ecopias, they're the correct load- and speed-rating (not everything you'll find is), they're made in the U.S., and they were no more expensive than second-tier brands like Uniroyal, General, etc. I think they lack just a bit in the driving-excitement department but, lately, so am I. In six or seven years I'll see what else I want to buy. :p

FLYTDI

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS 5M, ca. 268K miles
I am running Goodyear WeatherReady tires. Too soon to say anything about wear rate but they are much more quiet and grippy than the Pirelli P7s they replaced.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I am running Falken 91H and 600 tread wear tires. it snows where I live too, and have had no trouble getting from point A to point B during the winter.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
You post a good question, OP. I too, gravitate toward a good touring all season with the desire for quiet, good wet traction, and did I say quiet?

I also live in the PNW and though rain is no longer a 9 month phenomenon (we're turning into California weather-wise), the wet traction/black ice thing remains important.

The BEST tires I've run on my Golf was the Michelin MXV4. They were great in wet, had wonderful handling, and lasted 115,000 miles. But, they were discontinued when it came time for another set.

I went with the Pirelli P7 Cinurato this time around and while a decent, well-wearing tire, they're no MXV4 - especially in the wet.

I wish I could contribute more but that's what I know! Would love to know what tire out there best mimics those Michelins. Since both were highest rated on Tire Rack, I now find those ratings not-so-useful. But still would probably prevent a bad mistake in purchasing.

VLS_GUY

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Bug, Skid Plate, Stage 1 Upsolute
I am running Nokian Entyre 2.0 205/55/16 and so far after 10,000 miles like them. I was running Michelin MXV4. The cost of the New Michelin was around $ 150.00 a tire at COSTCO before installation so I decided to look elsewhere and bought these for $ 85.00 a tire. The Nokians so far are quiet, maintain balance, track straight, have good wet traction and have an 80,000 mile warranty. Consumer reports says they wore a set out after 35,000 miles but was also told by Nokian that if they wear out at 35,000 you will get a set of replacement tires for free. So far they are at least the equal of any Michelin I have owned.

Something else to keep in mind is that the $ 85.00 price is with a full warranty. For a 195/65/15 Walmart is selling gray market versions for under $ 50.00 delivered to your nearest Walmart.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I'll put my vote in for Michelin tires... I currently have Defenders on mine. I do go up a size though.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Pirelli P7s have been awesome on my Passat
I am going to try P4s this next time and eliminate my winter tires
I've got the P7 Cinturato All-Season Plus on both of my Golfs. Good on wet roads, nice handling, quiet, last about 70k miles, and lots cheaper than Michelins especially at Sam's Club.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

caideN

TDI
02 Jetta Wagon TDI
I would've never said this 10 years ago but... Just buy the cheapest tires if you're not driving your car like a sports car. I am still a firm believer in tires being important because it's the only thing that touches the ground.

Suprisingly, even Chinese tires sold in the US have decent standards now.

This is just my opinion but for the jetta, I buy cheap tires. For my performance cars where I drive on the edge of its limits, I buy the best performance tires.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Quietness ... A tire should be seen and not heard.
Over the years I've driven on just about all of the major tire brands.
The most annoying factor is tire noise...that endless droning noise is something I will not tolerate from any tire. The Coopers are quiet ... stable, and (in my opinion) more puncture resistant.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
I am running Goodyear WeatherReady tires. Too soon to say anything about wear rate but they are much more quiet and grippy than the Pirelli P7s they replaced.
Made the same choice too..
Happy so far...
Nice aggressive all season that will be about as good as a snowtire(not ice, it still had a regular all season rubber).
Mpg is about the same...so no real Change there from the OEM rubber from VW.

mtn-wagon

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I'd recommend Michelin Defenders. I have the same tire size as you, these come in 91H also, not only T. They are rated for extremely long treadwear and are very highly rated all around. Very cheap when Costco does Michelin sales (<370 inc. installation). Pirelli Four Seasons are also highly rated. Altimax are great but don't last as long.

Haven't seen Coopers with 80K treadwear warranty but that sounds pretty good. Whoever you buy make sure to rotate and balance to stay within the warranty.

sy552

TDI
15 Passat SEL , 15 Jetta SEL
I put a set of Cooper CS5 Grand Touring tires on both our Jettas. I wouldn't take a set of them for free. They are the WORST tire I have ever run on anything. They are ok for summer use, but don't even think about running them in snow. They are downright dangerous! I had previously had run Hankook Optimo H727's and was very pleased with them year round but wanted to try something new.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I used to run Cooper tires, however, they were bad about shredding on the inside if run low.

Presently I have Yokohama and they're good, manufactured in the USA.

I personally try to find US made items to give Americans' work

alally

TDI
2000 Golf Automatic
Thanks everybody for your input. Due to unforseen expenses, I wound up opting for the cheapest option, Douglas AS from Walmart. Truth be told, they are perfectly good tires for my purposes. They are smooth and quiet, are made in the USA by Good Year, and I got out of there spending $44 each, and $260 for the set, mounted and balanced. I looked at some reviews, and they were mostly favorable. My Golf is totally stock, so I have no need for anything fancy. I had waffled for a bit over whether I should get Good-Year Viva, which were on sale for like $57 each, but they were 91T, and I wanted to stick with 91H, which the Douglas'es were. Not sure I would have felt any difference at all, but I figured I'd stick with the higher-rated ones, even though they were lower-mileage, non-name brand cheapos. It hasn't really rained around here for 4 months, and none is on the horizon, so I have to wait to see how they do in the wet. I drove on a gravel road the other day and did amazingly well, no squirreling at all.