Question on Scanguage 2

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I'm getting ready to move from Raleigh to Kansas City Ks at the end of August.

Currently, the NB is having Radiator fan/ air Conditioning issues - it keeps blowing 30 Amp radiator fan fuses. Mechanic is looking for the short.

If it comes down to it, would I be able to drive it to KC without overheating (obviously - there may not be AC) ? I was thinking I might want to get a Scanguage so I can SEE the actual coolant temp. Biggest problems I can think of is if I get stuck in stop / go traffic with 100F temps. Just cruising on the highway shouldn't be too much of a problem ?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Love the SG to keep tabs on things. Yes, it's good to be able to see the actual temp before it gets too hot.
Running the cabin blower fan full blast helps a lot to keep temps down as the coolant always goes thru the heater core.
Shouldn't have much problem going down the hwy unless your speeds are high. Stuck in traffic in triple digits may be an issue.
Are both radiator fans out of commission, or just one?? Doesn't get real hot here and never any "traffic" and I removed the large fan a year ago since it was froze up and the fan had seperate from the motor shaft. Never gets above 195 but the small fan is still operative.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Only the left fan is popping the fuse.

AFAIK - the small fan is operating normal.

Triple digit heat is a real possibility in MO and KC at that time of year. Traffic is likely to be confined to St louis and KC and MAYBE Columbia. Other cities along I64 are a possibility. Speeds will be kept to "reasonable" (i.e. less than 85 MPH - more likely less than 80). I'm feeling that although it might be uncomfortable, I should be able to complete the trip without the A/C.

Just had a timing belt job done, so the water pump should be OK.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
I'm sure your mechanic will get it sorted before you leave. You may want to look at this option if you want to monitor your temps and a whole bunch more.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_bYasBbZ50G7FV

For $22 and a $5 torque pro app you can monitor all kinds of data. This definitely works with android and I think they have an ios app now. Don't get a knock off dongle. BAFX is worth the couple extra bucks.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Most likely there is a short in the low speed resistor inside the fan.

Although high speed goes through a different circuit, I'm pretty sure the FCM needs the current from the fuse that's blowing (green 30amp).

It's fairly easy to install a new fan. ......... three screws, take out the bottom or top! Prolly the hardest part is unplugging it from the harness!

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got the scanguage and a holder for it. Have them in my hot little hands :)

I'm sure you will get a lot of use out of it and enjoy monitoring your live data. The fuel mileage can be a bit frustrating to get "calibrated" but instead of making the adjustments all at once adjust about half as much as "required" at a time on consistent/average driving conditions per tank.
I have a SG in each TDI. Feels odd to drive w/o it.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Hey, jettawreck

It sounds like you've got a bit of experience with the Scangauge. I've got one in My MK VII GSW and use it primarily for monitoring DPF/EGT temps to keep an eye on regens. When I have boost displayed, it starts out in a negative range and I'm wondering if there's a way to calibrate it.

I'm sure you will get a lot of use out of it and enjoy monitoring your live data. The fuel mileage can be a bit frustrating to get "calibrated" but instead of making the adjustments all at once adjust about half as much as "required" at a time on consistent/average driving conditions per tank.
I have a SG in each TDI. Feels odd to drive w/o it.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Most likely there is a short in the low speed resistor inside the fan........................
Yes. I would just fix it. Not a big fan of extra gauges, but the beetle only has an idiot light for temperature. Folks that have them like their Scangauges.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Both fans have been replaced. When parked - the fan and Airconditioning ran for over 2 hours - then I drive it home and the fuse blew again. The bottom of the radiator isn't secured, so it can swing a bit. I suggested that we find a way to keep it from moving and that might take care of it. Could be a frayed wire in the harness.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey, jettawreck

It sounds like you've got a bit of experience with the Scangauge. I've got one in My MK VII GSW and use it primarily for monitoring DPF/EGT temps to keep an eye on regens. When I have boost displayed, it starts out in a negative range and I'm wondering if there's a way to calibrate it.
I don't think there is a way to calibrate data points like "boost". I'm not familiar with anything other than the old ALH engines and the "boost" data is MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) which reads as atmosphere plus whatever boost charge it's making, so it's not an actual boost reading w/o doing some math to subtract atmosphere pressure. You can program X gauges to read corrected boost amounts, I believe, but I've never done or needed any.
Sorry, not much help. Maybe someone that has a SG in a newer type model like yours will chime in or ask the question in the OBD section perhaps.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So today, I put the SGII into my Golf just to get familiar with it. Observations -

The Golf ALSO is dumbing down the water temperature (big surprise there... /sarcasm off) When the SG indicated 165F, the car guage was indicating nearly 200F (usual reading while driving). I believe that is standard VW practice ?

The Golf is a Diesel-a vehicle. I'm suspecting the Beetle is also.

I think I'm going to like this.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Every MklV car I've owned (7, I believe) has registered 190* coolant temp on the cluster gauge when the SG actual temp was 165ish, so yes, it's very typical and reportedly even intentionally designed that way.
Yeah, you're going to like it.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Roger that. Thanks!

I don't think there is a way to calibrate data points like "boost". I'm not familiar with anything other than the old ALH engines and the "boost" data is MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) which reads as atmosphere plus whatever boost charge it's making, so it's not an actual boost reading w/o doing some math to subtract atmosphere pressure. You can program X gauges to read corrected boost amounts, I believe, but I've never done or needed any.
Sorry, not much help. Maybe someone that has a SG in a newer type model like yours will chime in or ask the question in the OBD section perhaps.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
The ScanGauge isn't "dumbing down" the coolant temperature, it is telling you that you need to replace your thermostat.

...The Golf ALSO is dumbing down the water temperature (big surprise there... /sarcasm off) When the SG indicated 165F, the car guage was indicating nearly 200F (usual reading while driving). I believe that is standard VW practice ?...

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The ScanGauge isn't "dumbing down" the coolant temperature, it is telling you that you need to replace your thermostat.
I believe he was referring to the "dumbing down" of the instrument cluster's temp gauge, which is known to be very "vague" and almost always will read normal 190ish when actual coolant temp has only gotten to 165 +/- as it's in the process of warming up.
Now, if the max temp reached after several miles is still the 165* range on the SG, then yes, it's telling you that it's time for a stat change.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Update on the Beetle - problem has finally been found. I'll have the complete story on Friday when we pick it up. I still plan on using the SGII in the Beetle to monitor things better.

There were at least 3 places that wiring had chafed down, and some $200 part needs replacement. But it sounds like I should have airconditioning if I need to drive the Beetle to KC (other option would be to trailer it behind a U-Haul type truck).

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hot Damn !!
Finally got the Beetle back, and all is well with it.

Due to the radiator not being completely secure from previous work, 3 different places had chafed through and were shorting out. These have been fixed, AND the radiator has also been fixed so it doesn't swing anymore. The Air Conditioning has never worked better (due in part to the blend doors work done earlier this year), and I'm expecting to be warm this winter as well. I am a bit out of practice on manually shifting. SGII seems to have issues accurately tracking my fuel economy (probably has something to do with my RC Stage II and larger than stock fuel injector nozzles).

At this point - I'm looking forward to (instead of dreading) the trip to KC. and the wife has a car for errand running during the day again.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As you "calibrate" the SG at fillups, only correct the gallon amount by about half the difference between what it says was used and what you actually used.
Also, accurate/consistent fill amounts (ventecomy suggested, filling to the neck rim) are needed so as not to skew the results. In addition, until you get it relatively accurate, changes in driving routines makes it more difficult to get calibrated.
Your mods won't have an effect on the mileage readings once you get it "learned" to your average routine.
Enjoy the many live data readings available.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've had a ventectomy for MANY years now.

Did my first stage fuel calibration fill this afternoon. Had to replace car battery today. Calibration fill was as full as I could get it. I told the SG that I had a 16 gallon tank - should give me some extra just in case.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Out on the road in either my ALH Vanagon or formally my 2000 Jetta, fill-up after fill-up SG got closer and closer to real world MPGs, etc.

Follow Jettawreck's advice to get SG within the ball park and then finally near spot on.

Oddly, using SG in my 95 Chevy Blazer is amazing. It adjusts (learns) very quickly and after about two or three fill-ups, it is basically spot-on.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
On the road - The Beetle is running like a champ, AC is nice and COLD, SGII is showing usual Water temp of 184- 195 F with the AC running, MPG is my usual 45 - 46.

2nd fill on the SG, needed to decrease the amount of fuel added. SOmetime when I have time (and an assistant), need to calibrate the speedometer on SG to my GPS.