Considering replacement bottom end

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Are there newer bottom ends that would work with an ASZ head?

Just considering options and thought I might be able to get a lower mileage bottom end from a newer engine. As long as the setup would work with a big valve ASZ head build. :) (oh, and run on ASZ engine management with no troubles)

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
OK - forget the above - looks much more likely (now after some testing) that my hybrid 2260 is up the spout. Started wailing like an ambulance. :D

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Alright "might" be bottom end but still not confirmed. Compression is fine apparently which is a positive sign?

Either way, going to be picking up a 46,500 mile old complete BLT engine (same as ASZ aside from euro emissions crap attached to it) at the weekend just in case....

AnniBooster

TDI
1.6CR Skoda :( & ARL with 783s and GTB2260 :D
Bad news about the hybrid, hopefully repair rather than replacment is possible.

Not wishing to dampen your plans but aren't BLT blocks known for popping rods out the side of the case?

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
Good news what turbo you're running ?
I'm busy with a gt3067v it needs a rebuild so I'm fitting a 48.3/70mm comp. Wheel
Turbine stock 53/47mm

Markus L

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy (14D) 1.9TDI 2-stage 400+bhp, Passat 3BG 4motion AVF
I'm busy with a gt3067v it needs a rebuild so I'm fitting a 48.3/70mm comp. Wheel
Turbine stock 53/47mm
You shouldn't fit any bigger comp wheel for that turbine. I would choose big trim 63mm wheel.
That turbine doesn't flow very well, maybe just a bit more than gtb22 stock turbine.

chapelhill

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Ibiza pd13- 2260vk Turbo etc.., Merc E280cdi
It is turbo! :D Off for rebuild and maybe a tune that doesn't push 40psi :D

Should you not have more than a 4 bar sensor for this. PID control struggles enough with nearly twice standard boost more than twice standard fuelling and larger turbo. As soon as boost approaches 3 bar boost there is hardly any change in boost, so PID then has less direct corrective action P-Proportional element as boost sensor is maxed out and the other key element is that boost rate of change is zero until boost drop back below 3 bar so you are missing the D-Differential element of correction.

Don't use the BMW 5 bar sensor, as that seems to fail easily with boost spikes.

I would and am tempted on mine to convert to using a 7 or 10 bar absolute sensor, just to avoid such issues.

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Mr Chapel - I have no idea, but I will put that to the tuner. Chances are my boost will be reduced to something like 2.5 bar.

For everyone else's info I am running the Darkside converted 2566vk turbo. Have been for some time although this is the first time its needed rebuilding.

Today I purchased a nice fresh 46,500 mile PD130 BLT engine from a 2007 Fabia vRS which is being converted to petrol turbo. A real nice lump and good spares for me. In theory I don't need the head though.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
we have ran 40+ Psi through them for a LONG time but Jason is letting another tuner practice on his car so its understandable that it might have done much more than that from time to time causing the failure (well, it just got noisy)

Usually 38psi is enough to make the power.

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
I've seen the gauge go to 3 bar. :D

Its testament I suspect to the turbo that its been still going strong despite the oil seals being dodgy for perhaps 18 months or so. It was smoking on my last Nurburgring trip in 2014 - and then I thought it was just diesel fumes, and ended up doing about 8 laps of the circuit. :D BUT it never actually popped.

In fact Mr P - You should have the turbo by now I hope. ;)

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Who did you use for the rebuild?
See poster above my last post. As they built the hybrid seemed logical for them to rebuild it.... :D

Here's my nice low mileage engine now sitting in the garage on a rolling trolley.

Won't be needing the injectors or cam at all. I might fit the cam cover to my car as my painted one is starting to look rough. This one is nice.

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Already turned around and will be on its way back to me. Turbo innards were knackered too, so essentially for a quick turnaround I am paying for a replacement unit. :)