Sad Sad Day!

ElbertaTDI

TDI
RIP:2003 jetta gl wagon reflex silver
My reflex silver 2003 ALH 5-Speed GLS Wagon had a very hard day :mad:.

Road was washed out by flooding in my area. No road signs or warnings... bam no road. So much for 50MPG.

Damage: Aluminum Skid plate, skirts, oil pan, oil pump, rear axle, not sure what else

Insurance adjuster just looked at it. Fingers firmly crossed...

If they total it... should I try to buy it back & fix it? Body is clean. I shut off engine as soon as it came to rest...

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/yourphotos?pid=6015549829842406770&oid=101876316999877205070

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Link no worky.
If it's just mechanical damage, I say yes, buy it back and fix it. But please, play Hardball with the insurers. Make sure the crankshaft didn't get damaged.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Linky worky! As was said check crank shaft and get her back! Any "humps" inside the car that shouldn't be there?

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
Drag er' down to the border, nudge her across, and I'll take it from there.

Wait 5spd or auto?

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Wow that picture is amazing. Did the car actually fly? Do you have a picture looking at where the car came from? I don't even see tire marks!

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Wait, is that what's left of the road? It didn't look like much of a road to start out with! I hope it isn't totaled and you're back on the road soon.

ElbertaTDI

TDI
Pic was taken after the county dropped a load of dirt behind the car so the tow truck could extricate my car. Good thing I went right. If I would have went left.... are you familiar with the old TV show the Dukes of Hazard? :eek: Hole was about 4-5 feet deep.

I'll make my decision after they make the offer. I switched the car off as soon as I came to rest... so hopefully...

Yes this car is the one everyone wants ALH GLS Wagon 5 speed manual.:(

The road was gone on top of a hill. Everything was good till I crested the hill.... BTW: We had 25 inches of rain 5 days before the accident. Road was "virtually closed" ie the county listed it as closed on there web site and didn't block of the road with signs, cones, barricades or tape. grrrr...

Last edited:

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
That looks more like a road for a deuce and a half, not a passenger car. That road is pure country.

ElbertaTDI

TDI

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Wow. So that is the skid plate behind the car? Ripped it right off. I'd fix the car if it were mine. If you're handy and can do the work yourself you won't have too much in the car: oil pan, oil pump, side skirts, new skid plate, rear axle beam. I'd guess $1,000 or so if you do it yourself.

Eric

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Take the $5400 and look for another wagon, unless you're certain it's just the oil pan and few items you listed, because if it's not well you know the rest. Good luck either way!

tjsean0308

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV wagon 5spd graphite blue
I just read the other thread and bumped it. Thank you again for the detailed write-up EECSentirc. You should have added something in there about keep the rust mites away in your letter. That is no small feat in the northeast.