VCDS VAG-COM Locator

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
You can use VagTacho or the kw1281test software to retrieve the code. VCDS will not be able to get it.
kw1281test is your easiest bet, though you gotta do some extra steps. Download the VCDS com port driver from ross-tech, install that, go to device manager, open properties for your VCDS cable. I think it's under advanced and you'd check load VCP (virtual com port). Apply, okay, unplug the cable, plug it back in, and now you should have a COM port, which you need in VCDS. You'd connect to that COM port at 10400 baud, as the SKC lives in the instrument cluster.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Keep getting hung on all the terms , VCDS and many others while searching .
So I am guessing that my KLL-USB will not work ?

Thanks
No sir, at least not AFAIK. You'd need this cable here, though you can sometimes find a HEX or HEX+CAN cable on the classifieds here on TDIclub cheaper. There's also ebay as an option, but you'll pay a premium there.

https://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/hex-v2.php

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Keep getting hung on all the terms , VCDS and many others while searching .
So I am guessing that my KLL-USB will not work ?

Thanks
The kii-usb one will work. Thats what I've used myself several times. Works great!

JohnTF

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI ALH A.T. Wagon
Thanks all for the info .
I did find the key [ oldfarters - was in shirt pocket - almost never put there ] .
So now not as big a deal , the car came with 5 keyfobs , only one was cut & worked , 3 are like new [ not cut ] , 2 old & warn with no key blanks - I did buy to key blanks .
So now using a YouTube video & an 2002 manual - from eBay , so one yr. older than car - using it's instructions on programming key .
There are some small differences in the process between manual & the YT video , tried a couple times .
So not as important now , but will play more with the keys later ---- anticipating loosing / misplacing keys in the future ;)

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Thanks all for the info .
I did find the key [ oldfarters - was in shirt pocket - almost never put there ] .
So now not as big a deal , the car came with 5 keyfobs , only one was cut & worked , 3 are like new [ not cut ] , 2 old & warn with no key blanks - I did buy to key blanks .
So now using a YouTube video & an 2002 manual - from eBay , so one yr. older than car - using it's instructions on programming key .
There are some small differences in the process between manual & the YT video , tried a couple times .
So not as important now , but will play more with the keys later ---- anticipating loosing / misplacing keys in the future ;)
What are you attempting to program on the keys, the remote access part or the immobilizer part?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
If you cannot get a FOB to work for immobilizer, I would check the non cut FOBs and see if the upper part that holds the blade and verify if even a RFID capsule is in there.

JohnTF

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI ALH A.T. Wagon
That was going to be one of my next tries , figure if I hold close to the ignition lock - to see if the engine stay running .
I pickup a couple of new botton batteries , and open up to see if the chip capsul was in each - they all have capsuls .
I could also glue / tape the working to the inside of the column , but not that it is a big deal - but like to keep the extra security if it does not put me out too much .