VCDS VAG-COM Locator

TDI Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, 1996 Passat Variant (RIP), 2002 Jetta Wagon, 1995 Passat Variant TDI conversion brought back from the dead, 1997 Passat Variant project, and returned 2014 Passat
My zip is 21120 and I have a Hex + Can Vagcom which can look at any VW, so please add me to the list for free help.

mweba

TDI
02 Jetta
Read for a bit but didn't find my answer. I have a SnapOn OBD with Euro capability. Live feed printable (or sd card) with abs and airbag as well.

If it helps, add me to the list

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
VCDS w/Micro-Can

19317 Chadds Ford, PA
11201 Brooklyn, NY

Last edited:

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Hex+ Can USB
Hazelton BC and Victoria BC
I drive from Northern BC to Port Hardy every 2 weeks and can scan along the way!

Shermenator

TDI
2009 Jetta sportwagon TDI
VCDS License with Micro-CAN Interface

I called Ross Tech to purchase this VCDS (VAG-COM Diagnostic System) License with Micro-CAN Interface And to my surprise it doesn't except Mac/Apple laptops!! They did tell me they are coming out with one in the fall And it will cost more money, that it will work with Apple Laptops!
They also told me that I can add Microsoft operating system to my MacBook Pro laptop Which will cost me seven more money!!! You would've thought that Ross tech would have already had taken care of this problem with having Apple laptops/ Interface !!!!
Any suggestions?

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
Go to freecycle or craigslist and look for an older laptop with XP and a USB port. Can probably pick it up for under $50 if you can't find it free. A few months ago I would have had one to send you. I have another but I don't know if it has USB ports on it. Will try to remember to check tomorrow. If it does, you can have it.

Shermenator

TDI
Go to freecycle or craigslist and look for an older laptop with XP and a USB port. Can probably pick it up for under $50 if you can't find it free. A few months ago I would have had one to send you. I have another but I don't know if it has USB ports on it. Will try to remember to check tomorrow. If it does, you can have it.

That would be awesome!! I really appreciate the help since I really can't afford another laptop at the moment!
Thanks David

Fociracr

TDI
99.5 Jetta
While we are on the subject of vag-com, i was looking on eBay and couldn't you just buy the cable there and then download the software off Ross-tech instead of paying $350 through ross.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
The Chinese copies that you get from eBay will only work with VCDS Lite and there is limited support from Ross-Tech. In addition, the Chinese vendors on eBay do not support this website like Ross-Tech does.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Your Mac OS already has an application called Bootcamp hiding in there which allows toy to switch boot discs. All that you need is a copy of Windows XP or 7 that you can get real cheap on eBay. I am a 100% Mac hardware person and that's how I run VCDS on my Mac Book Pro. PM me if you need any assistance.

I called Ross Tech to purchase this VCDS (VAG-COM Diagnostic System) License with Micro-CAN Interface And to my surprise it doesn't except Mac/Apple laptops!! They did tell me they are coming out with one in the fall And it will cost more money, that it will work with Apple Laptops!
They also told me that I can add Microsoft operating system to my MacBook Pro laptop Which will cost me seven more money!!! You would've thought that Ross tech would have already had taken care of this problem with having Apple laptops/ Interface !!!!
Any suggestions?

Fociracr

TDI
99.5 Jetta
Yea but if you don't need support and know what you're doing with it already would it work tho. And whats the difference between the Lite and the regular version. I'm not trying to be cheap just $370 for a cable and some software to reset my service reminder on my audi is a little outrageous.

Shermenator

TDI
Yea but if you don't need support and know what you're doing with it already would it work tho. And whats the difference between the Lite and the regular version. I'm not trying to be cheap just $370 for a cable and some software to reset my service reminder on my audi is a little outrageous.

The Stealership will charge you $50-$75 to turn off the service light and if you have TDI you have to have a scan tool To service your fuel filter also to change oil in the DSG transmission!!
Which is a bunch of BS!! Shouldn't need the This type ofequipment to do regular maintenance on your vehicle!!

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door TDI (sold back for Dieselgate), 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z swap
Been there done that. An eBay cable is no better than an obd2 scan tool that can read live data. Don't waste your 30 bucks. VCDS from Ross tech is an invaluable tool. Plus they're a local to me business so I would support them anyway.

But, if you just want it to read codes and reset the service reminder, it may not hurt finding out if the lite version can do that. I'm just saying if you want to do anything more than a code reader, you'll be disappointed.

Sent from my Bosch ECU via VAG COM