Best Battery For My Tdi And Why?

Does your TDI have a VW Battery or not?

• Total voters

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
Diesel Nut 247 said:
I'm NOT upset, just pointing out that they are junk.
I personally would not recommend a product that I have not used.
I use Exide's in my Kubota's, I use OEM in my TDI, and will use Optima's in my Cummins.
When I had my Z06 Corvette I also used Optima, Because GM discontinued the Glass mat batteries.
I would also recommend Frostheater for the heater too.:)
Cool, then we're both good.

I was considering to buy a Deka AGM batt. to replace the OE moLL batt., but I only had the money to buy 1 batt., and I needed to get 2 batts. So, the good old Sam's came to the rescue. I've been very happy and no issue what so ever w/ Energizer batt.

Why did GM discontinue AC Delco AGM battery?

HoneyBeetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW NB TDI
arne487.....you are SOOOO right, there are NO simple questions. But, it's fun to hear what everyone says about one topic! Anyhow....

#1. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO TEST AN ALTERNATOR?

#2. What's a brush pack and can someone like me install one, what's the point of installing a "brush pack?" (never heard of it)

#3. What do people think about a Frostking heater? Do you plug it into an outside outlet? Is that how it works? Does it really extend the battery life?

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
#1 - most shops should be able to test it for you - even some of the auto parts stores

#2 - talk to a real mechanic (not me)

#3 - The Frost heater is a coolant heater, AC powered (120V).I don't know about extending battery life, but it will make you more comfortable when you first start it up.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
What are the prices in your area?

Diesel Nut 247

TDI
2002 Jetta
T_D_I_POWER said:
Cool, then we're both good.

I was considering to buy a Deka AGM batt. to replace the OE moLL batt., but I only had the money to buy 1 batt., and I needed to get 2 batts. So, the good old Sam's came to the rescue. I've been very happy and no issue what so ever w/ Energizer batt.

Why did GM discontinue AC Delco AGM battery?
GM, discontinued them due to lack of sitting time. What this means is if you did not start the car every 2 days and let it run for 30 minutes, the on board computers would drain the battery to the point that it would not crank.

Mine lasted 7 years, but it had always been on a battery tender when it was not driven. :)

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
HoneyBeetle said:
arne487.....you are SOOOO right, there are NO simple questions. But, it's fun to hear what everyone says about one topic! Anyhow....

#1. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO TEST AN ALTERNATOR?

#2. What's a brush pack and can someone like me install one, what's the point of installing a "brush pack?" (never heard of it)

#3. What do people think about a Frostking heater? Do you plug it into an outside outlet? Is that how it works? Does it really extend the battery life?
1. You can take your alternator to Autozone, Pepboys, Advance Auto Parts and they will test it for you.

2. Contact aja8888, he just did an alternator R&R

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=255212

3. No experience with FrostKing. I just installed a Zerostart Series 8000 750W round circ. engine preheater last weekend, see p.74. It was pretty straight forward installation. But, then the B5.5S has more room to play around since the engine is mounted properly N-S. I would recommend it very highly. It makes more sense for you to have an engine preheater since you live in a cold climate. Also there's a Zerostart electric battery blanket p.76

http://www.zerostart.com/UserFiles/File/2009_Zerostart_Application_Guide_and_Product_catalog.pdf

Yes, the engine preheater is plug outside. I would use a timer though.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=255212

Yes , engine pre-heater and battery blanket should extend the engine and batt. life. Since the engine coolant is already warmed, coolant in the oil cooler is warmed too, and battery is warmed also, then it'll be that much easier for the engine to turn first thing in the morning.

Depends how long you plug it in at night, you will almost get an instant heat from the dash vents. Electric cost in the wee hrs is low too.
So, it's a win-win situation.

Last edited:

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Diesel Nut 247 said:
GM, discontinued them due to lack of sitting time. What this means is if you did not start the car every 2 days and let it run for 30 minutes, the on board computers would drain the battery to the point that it would not crank.

Mine lasted 7 years, but it had always been on a battery tender when it was not driven. :)
What a revelation. I didn't know this. What's the reasoning for the OBC to drain the battery if the engine wasn't started for 2 days?

Diesel Nut 247

TDI
2002 Jetta
T_D_I_POWER said:
What a revelation. I didn't know this. What's the reasoning for the OBC to drain the battery if the engine wasn't started for 2 days?
On the Corvettes the Computers don't really sleep, so they continue to scan even though the key is not on.

Also on Corvettes C5's one of the computers is under the battery.

HoneyBeetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW NB TDI
scooperhsd said:
#1 - most shops should be able to test it for you - even some of the auto parts stores

#2 - talk to a real mechanic (not me)

#3 - The Frost heater is a coolant heater, AC powered (120V).I don't know about extending battery life, but it will make you more comfortable when you first start it up.
Forgive me if I did not translate your answers clearly but they sound a bit condesending to me.

First, my question was HOW.....NOT where to go to have someone else do it for me (although I realize there may be a few exceptions)

Second, if I wanted a "real" mechanic to do anything for me, I'd be sitting on the couch doing nothing or worse.....I'd be throwing hard earned and borrowed money at guys in vw shop clothes who seem to not have a clue. :mad:

Third, I'll respond to your most reasonable response with a question re: coolant heater. Q: How does a coolant heater make the cabin warm? Assuming engine coolant has something to do with cabin heat, how can it heat the coolant to temps high enough (without damaging something) to make a difference to cabin temps?

HoneyBeetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW NB TDI
kwong7 said:
One thing I like about the Optima, is the smaller size. It makes the airbox, snorkel, and headlight bulbs easier to get at. Time will tell the Optima's longevity with the TDI. I've had an Optima Yellow Top in my mom's Maxima for 9 years so I have high hopes for the Red Top.
I have issues with my headlight bulbs. I loosened the casing for my NB and I can't seem to pop the thing back in there tight. There is condensation in the glass and I'm upset. I could use some help with this issue. The seal is not tight, I can't seem to slide the assy properly back into the fender area (near the battery box). This....is yet another issue......wish I could fix myself....(sigh). :rolleyes:

Diesel Nut 247

TDI
2002 Jetta
HoneyBeetle said:
Forgive me if I did not translate your answers clearly but they sound a bit condesending to me.

First, my question was HOW.....NOT where to go to have someone else do it for me (although I realize there may be a few exceptions)

Second, if I wanted a "real" mechanic to do anything for me, I'd be sitting on the couch doing nothing or worse.....I'd be throwing hard earned and borrowed money at guys in vw shop clothes who seem to not have a clue. :mad:

Third, I'll respond to your most reasonable response with a question re: coolant heater. Q: How does a coolant heater make the cabin warm? Assuming engine coolant has something to do with cabin heat, how can it heat the coolant to temps high enough (without damaging something) to make a difference to cabin temps?
I will try to answer.

1, they will load test it. ( this means putting work on the alternator to see if it will keep the voltage up and if it will produce right amount of current.)

2, Find a Guru too talk too ( they will usually do things for you cheaper if you want them to do it.)

3. It Has a preset thermostat to keep from burning things up.
When it heats the coolant then it heats the engine. The cabin heater gets its heat from the engine through what is called a heater core. ( small radiator in your dash.) Then you blower fan blows it through your vent ducts.:)

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Honeybeetle,

My apology for suggesting to take your alt. to the autoparts shop. per post # 67 no.1.

aja8888 who succesfully did an R&R alternator just informed me that those autopart stores can only do it in car testing with the engine running.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
HoneyBeetle said:
First, my question was HOW...
You can do a pretty good test by just seeing what is going on before and after a large load on the alternator. You need a voltmeter.

1. Check the voltage on the battery without starting the car. If the voltage is lower than 12.6 then one or more of the following are true:
a) the alternator's voltage regulator is not producing sufficient voltage to recharge the battery in the time allotted (i.e. your average trip time)
b) something in the alternator is amiss (e.g. pulley overrun bearing is shot, diodes bad) and the alternator refuses to produce sufficient current
c) the battery is weak and needs to be replaced
Note: just because the battery is not fully charged doesn't mean it absolutely requires replacement.

2. Start the engine. Make sure all electrical items are off, particularly paying attention to lights (all of 'em), a/c, ventilation fan, and radio.
Measure the voltage at the battery. It should be more than 14 volts. If it is less than this, your battery will NOT ever be fully charged. I know a lot of people think anything over 12.6 volts is good, but this is simply not the case. Battery technology has changed. All manufacturers (except one) have gone to calcium strengthened plates for batteries. This provides less off-gassing when charging, so much less water needs to be added to batteries, which is where the no-maintenance/low maintenance batteries come from. But that same addition of calcium to the plates upped the internal resistance of the cells, meaning that you need a higher voltage to get a full charge on the battery.

3. Now turn on everything electrical. I mean the vent fan to high, the a/c, radio, headlights, interior reading lamps, rear window defroster, everything. Then measure the voltage at the battery again. If the voltage is less than what you measured in step 2, then your alternator cannot keep up with the electrical load of the car. This will be important on cold winter mornings when the battery really needs to be recharged, but the alternator can't do that and run the heater and the lights and defrost too.

Voltage regulator brushes: You need to read up on alternator technology for this to make sense. First, they aren't really "brushes" but are a carbon-copper rod that is spring loaded. They extend from the voltage regulator and contact the slip rings on the end of the armature in the alternator. The slip rings are copper and are pressed into place on the armature - the slippage occurs between the brushes and the rings. These rings are the contacts that allow electricity to flow and energize the field coils in the armature. The field coils provide a magnetic field that then uses the mechanical energy of the revolution of the armature to generate alternating current. This current is rectified into DC electricity by the diode pack.

By turning the juice to the armature field coils on and off, or varying the amount of current in them, the voltage regulator will control the amount of electricity generated by the alternator.

Third, I'll respond to your most reasonable response with a question re: coolant heater. Q: How does a coolant heater make the cabin warm? ...
You are right: the coolant does have something to do with cabin heat (except for seat warmers, which are electrical). The engine coolant circulates through a device that looks like a small compact radiator. Ventilation air blows through it, is heated by hot coolant, and then is distributed by the vents in the cabin. Flaps in the ventilation ducts control temperature, whether the air flows through the a/c heat exchanger, the amount of cool air mixed in, etc.

It therefore follows that if the coolant is somehow preheated prior to the engine being started, you will enjoy cabin heat much sooner than if you have to wait for the engine to warm up and then be able to supply hot coolant for cabin heat.

Last edited:

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
Interesting info. on the AC Delco AGM batteries. I have dual Delco OEM's still good on the farm truck, '95 Isuzu. 27k miles and it sees mostly of hay field and feed run trips so less than 1500 miles a year. Use a Battery Minder when it sits and so far no problems as I think the de-Sulfating process really adds to the life of the battery.
I just recently swapped out my OEM battery on the Golf in anticipation of it finally getting weak. Battery Minder occasionally on it but the car gets used so much it is never sitting for a long enough period (at least 48 hr. needed) for the process. That is ten years on a OEM. I just bought another OEM from the dealer and it was only $107. Not bad for the next ten years!

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Diesel Nut 247 said:
On the Corvettes the Computers don't really sleep, so they continue to scan even though the key is not on.

Also on Corvettes C5's one of the computers is under the battery.
I would also confirm that on a C-5 2001 Z06, new since 4 miles now at 73,000 miles for 8 years now. The oem AC/Delco battery (not sure about the AGM designation) was another battery that lasted LESS than 9/10 years (my normal SUV's battery life's) . (almost 6 years) So aftermarket A/C Delco products had (@ the time) 6 years/72 months warranties. I was informed by the Chevrolet dealership the 3 year 36,000 miles applies to OEM provided parts, when I took it in for possible warranty prorate. In addition to the onboard computers draws, there are numerous lights that go on before during and after " shut down". There is also an oem security system that draws 24/7. I would dare say it draws even when not set. Heaven help you if you have stuff like aftermarket high watt stereo systems, GPS, radar detectors, huds, etc.

Again the trickle chargers have a series of light cues (Battery Tender Plus does anyway) that graphically let you know :

1. when the battery can use charging
2. when the battery is back up to 80%
3. @ 100% charged
4. there is a chip that keeps the battery from being overcharged, if you should decide to leave it attached and plugged in.

I am also under the understanding that in addition to the 2x amp draw of "normal" gassers, our TDI's have 24/7 draw and the charging systems are NOT designed to get the battery back to 100%. The Battery Tender Plus indicates that it doesn't get it back to even 80%.

Last edited:

HoneyBeetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW NB TDI
Diesel Nut 247 said:
I will try to answer.

1, they will load test it. ( this means putting work on the alternator to see if it will keep the voltage up and if it will produce right amount of current.)

2, Find a Guru too talk too ( they will usually do things for you cheaper if you want them to do it.)

3. It Has a preset thermostat to keep from burning things up.
When it heats the coolant then it heats the engine. The cabin heater gets its heat from the engine through what is called a heater core. ( small radiator in your dash.) Then you blower fan blows it through your vent ducts.:)
Thanks.......but Guru? Not sure where to find Guru in the yellowpages? The letter "G" isn't working for me. Maybe ASE has certified Gurus. Just wondering how to find one and verify you have one when one is found. :rolleyes:

HoneyBeetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW NB TDI
ruking said:
Again the trickle chargers have a series of light cues (Battery Tender Plus does anyway) that graphically let you know :

1. when the battery can use charging
2. when the battery is back up to 80%
3. @ 100% charged
4. there is a chip that keeps the battery from being overcharged, if you should decide to leave it attached and plugged in.

I am also under the understanding that in addition to the 2x amp draw of "normal" gassers, our TDI's have 24/7 draw and the charging systems are NOT designed to get the battery back to 100%. The Battery Tender Plus indicates that it doesn't get it back to even 80%.
Question: So, if the trickle charger doesn't even bring it back up to 80%, does that mean that every battery used in a TDI is only performing up to 80%?

Did anyone have a response as to whether or not the Frostking heater helps extend battery life? If so, I didn't read one, forgive me.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
HoneyBeetle said:
Question: So, if the trickle charger doesn't even bring it back up to 80%, does that mean that every battery used in a TDI is only performing up to 80%?

Did anyone have a response as to whether or not the Frostking heater helps extend battery life? If so, I didn't read one, forgive me.
Yes, and/or less. Obviously one would need say a sample (say 100) to see if you can reasonably project that it might apply to every or most batteries. I strong suspect it applies to most, if not all.

So for example, the Battery Tender Plus instructions say

1. a STEADY green light is @ "full charge," aka 100%. At that point you can either leave it plugged in and the built in chip will keep it from over charging and or charge more if needed. Or, you can pull the A/C plug and use knowing the battery is @ full charge.

2. When you first plug it in it will flash red and green.

3.When it is at 80%, it will flash JUST green.

4. So at that point you can elect to leave it plugged in longer to go back to a steady green, or disconnect and use, knowing it is @ 80% charge.

Last edited:

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
HoneyBeetle said:
.....Did anyone have a response as to whether or not the Frostking heater helps extend battery life? If so, I didn't read one, forgive me.
It should since warm Diesel engine starts better, quicker, and it'll use less battery power than to start a cold Diesel engine. A zerostart batt. warmer blanket will further increase batt. life during cold winter months.

Last edited:

HoneyBeetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW NB TDI
T_D_I_POWER said:
It should since warm Diesel engine starts better, quicker, and it'll use less battery power than to start a cold Diesel engine. A zerostart batt. warmer blanket will further increase batt. life during cold winter months.
Good advise...I believe you. However, sounds funny coming from a Georgia man, not sure what to think.

14 years in NC ingrained into my brain that it doesn't get much lower than zero degrees farenheight for a day or so, per year. Isn't GA a couple of degrees more South in lattitude, ...like......closer to the Equator....LOL!? :p

HoneyBeetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW NB TDI
kiwibru said:
Interesting info. on the AC Delco AGM batteries. I have dual Delco OEM's still good on the farm truck, '95 Isuzu. 27k miles and it sees mostly of hay field and feed run trips so less than 1500 miles a year. Use a Battery Minder when it sits and so far no problems as I think the de-Sulfating process really adds to the life of the battery.
I just recently swapped out my OEM battery on the Golf in anticipation of it finally getting weak. Battery Minder occasionally on it but the car gets used so much it is never sitting for a long enough period (at least 48 hr. needed) for the process. That is ten years on a OEM. I just bought another OEM from the dealer and it was only $107. Not bad for the next ten years!
TEN YEARS....very good!

HoneyBeetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW NB TDI
Oh I see, the battery tender will flash green at 80%....got it? How much does one of those cost? Sounds like an interesting thing maybe I should have?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's

JetBlu

TDI
2002 Jetta
HoneyBeetle said:
:confused: OH BOY NOW YOU'VE OPENED UP A CAN OF WORMS JetBlu!!!
Questions:
First, what's a 94r series battery?
Second, (Using CCA as a measurement) Does having over 650 CCA (required) ......or more than 700 CCA (most batteries) affect the life of the battery?

Don't know what can I opened, but the 94r is the battery recommended for my 02 TDI Jetta. DON"T matter what the CA or CCA says.

I would imagine that the "stated" CA and CCA's for different suppliers would vary 10 to 30, maybe more. I was just stating which battery I had.

As far as the battery life being affected by CCA, that many factors come into play beside the CCA.

First, would be the general condition of the Alternator. They can loose some effectivness but still go for many years.

Second would be conditions, weather, driving (short distances vs long distances), driven everyday vs occasionally.

Batteries are usually uniformally warrantied among each individual manuf. Meaning if there 94r has a 72 month warranty so does there 47 series.

Can a 72 month battery with 525 CCA start a TDI? Probably, but how many times? Not as many as one with 725 CCA. So, Battery life can be affected, especially when used in the wrong application.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
HoneyBeetle said:
Good advise...I believe you. However, sounds funny coming from a Georgia man, not sure what to think.

14 years in NC ingrained into my brain that it doesn't get much lower than zero degrees farenheight for a day or so, per year. Isn't GA a couple of degrees more South in lattitude, ...like......closer to the Equator....LOL!? :p
I know it sounds odd, but the temp. gets down to 40° at night. In Dec-Feb it will get down to 30° F., and that's cold for us. Up in the mountain gets even colder. Well, I have to admit it that I have very soft skin, and a big suck when comes to cold weather. When it rains here gets very damped and cold. I need to learn a few things from you who really lives in the freezing cold state.
I take the car once a week to work ,a 20 min. drive, otherwise it's a city car. The engine pre-heater that I installed primarily to help cold start Diesel engine @ 5:30 am in the morning. No rough starts, and loud popcorn popper sounds, that will wake my neighbourhood. As you've already known yourself Diesel engine likes warm weather.
Btw, I do park the car in the garage but it's not any warmer in there.

HoneyBeetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW NB TDI
JetBlu said:
Don't know what can I opened, but the 94r is the battery recommended for my 02 TDI Jetta. DON"T matter what the CA or CCA says.

I would imagine that the "stated" CA and CCA's for different suppliers would vary 10 to 30, maybe more. I was just stating which battery I had.

As far as the battery life being affected by CCA, that many factors come into play beside the CCA.

First, would be the general condition of the Alternator. They can loose some effectivness but still go for many years.

Second would be conditions, weather, driving (short distances vs long distances), driven everyday vs occasionally.

Batteries are usually uniformally warrantied among each individual manuf. Meaning if there 94r has a 72 month warranty so does there 47 series.

Can a 72 month battery with 525 CCA start a TDI? Probably, but how many times? Not as many as one with 725 CCA. So, Battery life can be affected, especially when used in the wrong application.
Hi JetBlu...what I meant by open up a can of worms....was that when you used the term...94r, I didn't understand you were talking about the size of the battery. Even so, there was a great number of terms being tossed about in this conversation near the time you added your info about the 94r battery. Can of worms, more info added to the mix, that's all.

I have come to realize now that there are many factors affecting battery life. TDIPower also explained to me that a heater to help a TDI starter better during colder weather may also extend the life of a battery in my TDI...I assume it may help with other components as well like starters and so forth, maybe alternators (not sure).

Anyhow, I am fascinated with the alternator issue causing battery wear and tear. This is interesting because my father mentioned my alternator could have a "diod" that isn't working well. I don't know what a diod is, but I guess it's a component of an alternator that helps recharge the battery and there are several of them in an alternator. If one "diod" isn't working then, even if the alternator is still working, the alternator won't perform to it's full capacity. Thus, extra wear and tear on the battery. Is this correct?

Another thing, someone said I could have my alternator tested at Advance Auto Parts store. Would they be able to detect small issues (like a "diod" malfunction) that do not cause the alternator to fail, but may cause the alternator to under perform. PS: I wish I could test it myself.

I would like to add, I had the dealer test my alternator AND my battery not too long ago. They said that both were fine....go figure.

SOAP BOX TIME: For these reasons, and many other issues, I am enraged, no I'm totally upset (MADDER THAN A HORNET) at my local VW dealership service department for the service they have provided me.

I believe there should be laws to protect consumers from lack of service, poor service and bad service....simply because consumers are conditioned to believe whatever the dealership service department tells them. They aren't always correct. I can understand reasonable errors. However, bad information, miss-information and wrecklessly wrong information is negligent in my book when you are depending upon someone's expertise.

This really bothers me. :rolleyes: I'm thinking through a solution. I'll have it figured out one day, soon...I hope.

Last edited: