New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

TDI
2009 Jetta
I bought a 2009 Jetta TDI new and love it! Wife too. I've kept up with the preventive maintenance and never had an issue. My background is aircraft and jet engine repair, Auto restoration, hotrods etc.
I've come to this forum to learn. My Jetta reached 112k miles and I believed it was time for a timing belt change. I now have a no-start condtion. I've run the pumps to purge and prime, rechecked the mechanical timing and all pins drop in. The engine did start and ran for about 3 seconds, so I'm leaning toward fuel issue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
I bought a 2009 Jetta TDI new and love it! Wife too. I've kept up with the preventive maintenance and never had an issue. My background is aircraft and jet engine repair, Auto restoration, hotrods etc.
I've come to this forum to learn. My Jetta reached 112k miles and I believed it was time for a timing belt change. I now have a no-start condtion. I've run the pumps to purge and prime, rechecked the mechanical timing and all pins drop in. The engine did start and ran for about 3 seconds, so I'm leaning toward fuel issue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
The best thing you can do for yourself is get a vcds cable. I'm assuming no lights on the dash yet right?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Spsosicmcise

TDI
1997 Jetta 5spd
Good afternoon everyone. New TDI owner checking in from Pensacola. I just bought a 97 Jetta TDI 5 spd. It has about 108,000 miles on it and it has some issues. I have a 110-120 mile round trip everyday to work and that was the primary reason I bought the car. I just finished changing almost every vacuum line on the engine and I’m about to change the line in the ecm. Hopefully that will help with my CEL. My dad drove this car from just north of Tampa to my place in Pensacola with the line missing that runs between the ecm and the boost tube. That was a dead giveaway the lines were in need of some help. Then I will attempt to tackle why my ac compressor clutch and cooling fans don’t work no matter what. I look forward to learning a lot on this forum.

PharoahTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Hey everyone! Well I am coming back to the TDI world after many years. My career path has changed and I once more need a vehicle with great fuel mileage. The Honda Pilot I have was great but ****ty fuel mileage.
I hope to have a 2005 Jetta TDI next week if all works out.

turbotalon1g

TDI
2010 Jetta
Hey everyone,

Looking to pickup a TDI wagon of some sort. Just really apprehensive because I need it to be reliable. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, but i truly believe a TDI wagon is best mix of economy and practicality. I live in the north metro of mpls, MN.

Hope to see some of you around.

Aaron

Dieseldave69

TDI
04 tdi Jetta sport
Turbo/limp mode issues. PLEASE HELP

New to the jetta community.
I have an 04 tdi sport with a 2.5 Malone tune and boost gauge
Ran excellent for 5000 km and then in the middle of a long drive it went into limp mode out of no where with an overboost code.
I've been reading through some forums and haven't found the exact thing on any of them
When I'm driving along it seems to have a slight lack of power, but the boost is very responsive and higher than usual, but going a steady speed, I can watch the boost gauge surge from 10-15 psi, some times higher, sometimes lower and then eventually I'll push on the pedal a little and it will go into limp mode, once in limp mode doing about 110km/h the boost will sit at about 21 or a little lower maintaining the speed on flat ground

Has anyone had a problem like this?

South Jordan

TDI
2015 VW Golf 2.0 TDI
Mechanic

Hello! I am a mechanic and these forums have always helped me to better serve my customers. I own a 2015 Volkswagen Golf TDI and I love the car!

mrorganic

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagon
Newbie here

Been reading on the TDI Club for a few hours and can't understand all of it because of abbreviations. I have searched for info on the abbreviations but didn't find it yet. Here are some abbreviations that i am completely unclear what they mean: EGR, GTG, MAF, CCV and there are others

I have just over 90,000 miles on my 2012 Jetta TDI and the CEL (Check Engine Light?) has been on for about a 1000 miles maybe more. The code is "PO191 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance". I have replaced the Fuel Pressure Sensor erased the code and CEL came right back on within 15 miles. Got a new Fuel Pressure Regulator but have not changed it as it looks difficult to get too. Then after reading on here about the original HPFP CP4, I have decided that i need to immediately replace this with the CP 3 HPFP. Still can't find this pump have tried to contact 2micron.

After reading about the failures of the original factory HPFP, I have now decided that i better not drive my car, if the HPFP failed, I would loose my car for no telling how long, as i could not afford to fix it.

I live in eastern Washington state. The Dealer seems pretty good but they are a dealer and we all know they charge a lot.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Been reading on the TDI Club for a few hours and can't understand all of it because of abbreviations. I have searched for info on the abbreviations but didn't find it yet. Here are some abbreviations that i am completely unclear what they mean: EGR, GTG, MAF, CCV and there are others /////////////////////////////////////
There's this post
Also, for some reason all forum search engines suck, try this little user contributed Google advance modified- VW TDI Search Engine

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The codes are a guide to troubleshooting and not an absolute "this item is bad". You need to use the codes as a place to start troubleshooting and not as a replace this part now. You should also use the "Trusted mechanics" thread/list here to find someone near you that is familiar with these tdi's.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16575/P0191/000401

Have you checked for metal particles yet in the fuel system?

There are a lot of posts here with that code you should read up on. Most are not good news though.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The codes are a guide to troubleshooting and not an absolute "this item is bad". You need to use the codes as a place to start troubleshooting and not as a replace this part now. You should also use the "Trusted mechanics" thread/list here to find someone near you that is familiar with these tdi's.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16575/P0191/000401

Have you checked for metal particles yet in the fuel system?

There are a lot of posts here with that code you should read up on. Most are not good news though.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
The codes are a guide to troubleshooting and not an absolute "this item is bad". You need to use the codes as a place to start troubleshooting and not as a replace this part now......................
Bares repeating.
With the TV ads for devices and parts stores, folks get the wrong idea.
Especially with these cars getting Old, you'll see more related bits like wires, hoses giving trouble. Plus the ECU is limited in what it can and does monitor.

SirSimon

TDI
1999.5 Jetta Tdi
I am new here - 1999.5 ALH - Green

Hello everyone, I would like to thank everyone who was and is responsible for establishing this helpful website. I myself am 18 years old, and am enlisted in the United States Air Force, set to leave October 16 contracted as a 9s100. I just purchased a beautiful 1999.5, for $650. The fuel pump was replaced 50,000 miles ago as well as the timing belt. The car runs and drives, ac works. I pretty much want to make it a race horse. Where should I start? I have little money in it so far and it runs well, I am willing to spend another 1500-2000. In your opinions where should I start. I would be doing all of the work myself. Also I was thinking to do a compression test to determine the health of the engine. Thanks.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1flV9XiKEXptvA8JUmKq-GHkhv2GCfASh

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Welcome! The best thing you could do is take some time to read here and learn before you do anything else. Everything you ever wanted to know is already here for your learning pleasure. Then just get the car in excellent mechanical shape and drive it. It will never be a race horse.

rahul20061982

TDI
hi Guys
really need help with my Volkswagen golf 2.0 tdi 2007 model.
Recently it has started stopping suddenly out of the blue. one day while coming back and just 2 mtrs from my drive way the car suddenly stopped. then took it to mechanic, changed fuel pump and filter and after taking the car for a drive again same issue, it stopped suddenly on me as if it got starved. mechanic says he has checked all fuses , wiring, no codes nothing.
This is the 2nd time the car had stopped giving no indication whtsoever. and both time its stopped was the time i was about to stop my car and slow down.
very confused pls help.

mrorganic

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagon
97 Jetta TDI

Good afternoon everyone. New TDI owner checking in from Pensacola. I just bought a 97 Jetta TDI 5 spd. It has about 108,000 miles on it and it has some issues. I have a 110-120 mile round trip everyday to work and that was the primary reason I bought the car. I just finished changing almost every vacuum line on the engine and I’m about to change the line in the ecm. Hopefully that will help with my CEL. My dad drove this car from just north of Tampa to my place in Pensacola with the line missing that runs between the ecm and the boost tube. That was a dead giveaway the lines were in need of some help. Then I will attempt to tackle why my ac compressor clutch and cooling fans don’t work no matter what. I look forward to learning a lot on this forum.

Just my opinion, but i think that is a really good year, I had a 97 Passat and a so called trusted TDI mechanic destroyed it, he took the engine completely apart because i had a lifter knocking. I think these cars are better than many of the newer VW diesels.

mrorganic

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagon
hi Guys
really need help with my Volkswagen golf 2.0 tdi 2007 model.
Recently it has started stopping suddenly out of the blue. one day while coming back and just 2 mtrs from my drive way the car suddenly stopped. then took it to mechanic, changed fuel pump and filter and after taking the car for a drive again same issue, it stopped suddenly on me as if it got starved. mechanic says he has checked all fuses , wiring, no codes nothing.
This is the 2nd time the car had stopped giving no indication whtsoever. and both time its stopped was the time i was about to stop my car and slow down.
very confused pls help.
I am no expert but I would check further for a fuel delivery problem. Does this have more than one fuel filter? Does it have more than one fuel pump? Be sure to never let your car get below a quarter tank.

Mickey510

TDI
Mk4 Jetta 5spd
Hey Guys I am new to the TDI scene, I just bought a 2001 Mk4 TDI Jetta. so any advice on anything will be helpful. I am also trying to Locate a place that will do a tune for what has already been installed in the car from the previous Owner. Also My background is in Diesel Mechanic on bigger equipment.

Last edited:

Xarvizux

TDI
2011 Sportwagen TDI R20
Hi there new to the Forum, Just bought myself a 2011 JSW 2.0 TDI and within a Month already replaced the front bumper to a Golf R and Painted mirrors Black, looking forward to put some rims. I joined the forums to learn the best ways to get the vest gas mileage without tuning and removing DPF or EGR.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Welcome to TDI Club!!
Might want to get in the habit of saying fuel or diesel instead of gas.
Try the model specific forum for tips on DPf, EGR.
My mechanic tells me removing the EGR is one of the best things you can do for your engine. Does require a tune.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
My mechanic tells me removing the EGR is one of the best things you can do for your engine. Does require a tune.
The newbie lives in San Diego. Deleting the EGR or DPF are really not options for folks in California.

Xarvizux

TDI
2011 Sportwagen TDI R20
The newbie lives in San Diego. Deleting the EGR or DPF are really not options for folks in California.
How so? Please explain further, I was looking in maybe just doing EGR and not DPF or vise versa. I started doing ride sharing on my Wagon and would really love the best MPG possible, I have a 6 Speed.

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
How so? Please explain further, I was looking in maybe just doing EGR and not DPF or vise versa. I started doing ride sharing on my Wagon and would really love the best MPG possible, I have a 6 Speed.
Removing any pollution devices would result in failing the periodic smog tests.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual

Tornado is right. The question is, what do they do as part of the inspection. Varies by state, maybe even city.

'12TDITweaker

TDI
2012 Jetta Premium 2.0 TDI
2012 Jetta TDI

Hey guys and gals, I'm a new Jetta TDI owner.
New to Volkswagon but have had a love for Diesel Engines for a few years.

I'm starting my TDI journey with 129k miles. and prefer to do my own work so i look forward to the DIY threads.

My goals are efficiency and longevity, so if anyone has any suggestions Im all ears.

T3rrybowman

TDI
2013 Jetta DSG Platinum Gray Metalic 2.0 TDi Premium Auto
Hey Y'all

I love the site already. I've been driving Dubs for 22 years and just bought my first TDI. It's a 2013 Jetta 2.0 Convenience pkg from the buy-back program. 71k miles. I'm insanely happy. I'm going to take it on a little 2500 mile drive this weekend. Wish me fun!

T3rry

Boneman

TDI
none
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have not bought a TDI yet but am shopping with little luck. My budget is 5k or less. I have only found one TDI worth looking at so far. It is a 2006 Jett TDI, automatic, with 177k miles for $4900. There is no maintenance history. It drives great and no bad engines sounds that I can tell. Shifts great. I'm gonna assume I'll have to change the timing belt and water pump. There is a loose bolt hanging down from the belly that looks like it's on the oil pan, but I couldn't get under the car far enough to tell...dealer said they'd check it out. Car gurus says it's a "fair deal". Anything else specific I should be aware of?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have not bought a TDI yet but am shopping with little luck. My budget is 5k or less. I have only found one TDI worth looking at so far. It is a 2006 Jett TDI, automatic, with 177k miles for $4900. There is no maintenance history. It drives great and no bad engines sounds that I can tell. Shifts great. I'm gonna assume I'll have to change the timing belt and water pump. There is a loose bolt hanging down from the belly that looks like it's on the oil pan, but I couldn't get under the car far enough to tell...dealer said they'd check it out. Car gurus says it's a "fair deal". Anything else specific I should be aware of?
You need to do a lot more research about TDIs and definitely not jump quickly to buy any car without a lot more information. Also, used-car dealers generally buy their inventory from auctions. There is never a maintenance record and you can generally assume that whoever sold it or traded it in had a good reason to get rid of it. Folks who have TDIs in excellent condition tend to hang on to them, or sell them privately because they are worth more than trade-in value.

Boneman

TDI
none
I've been researching for over a year now. I've only been looking hard for about 4 months. I've only owned one VW and it was a 1960 beetle I had for almost 20 years. I can do my own work. If this TDI shifts and sound good, and there are no noticeable leaks, is it still too much of a gamble with no maintenance records or receipts? I wasn't gonna offer more than $4k. I normally wouldn't care about maintenance records with a gasser.