First PD 04 Beetle

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Need help sorting out a problem I'm having. The engine has a light throttle miss. If I unplug the N75 the miss seems to go away. Any help on chasing down this problem would be appreciated. Only code is for MAF implausible signal.

Thanks,
dweisel

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
I would start by confirming the correct operation of the EGR. if it is dirty it may not close completely when commanded to do so.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
First, I'd start with inspecting the cam.

Then start the engine, login using VCDS and run basic setting 03, note the MAF values for both EGR ON and OFF.

Then, see what measures value block 23 looks like both at idle and under load, see if the values change significantly.

Post your results here and see if we can dissect what's going on.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
First, I'd start with inspecting the cam.
Then start the engine, login using VCDS and run basic setting 03, note the MAF values for both EGR ON and OFF.
Then, see what measures value block 23 looks like both at idle and under load, see if the values change significantly.
Post your results here and see if we can dissect what's going on.

I'm not real familiar with reading values with VCDS. You would have to walk me through it so I know what I'm looking for.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
If you really like the car, consider removing the EGR completely and giving it a tune.
I'm an unapologetic tree huger, so I hate giving that advice, but it's what many experts will tell you. My guy (J.Hamilton) charges $1000 for that. He says the whole function of recirculated burnt gasses is death to the engine.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
EGR has the function of reducing the available amount of air for combustion to reduce peak temperature during combustion. NOx forms above a temperature threshold and EGR's job is to keep the combustion below that.

Secondary is that EGR can actually help MPG. On our cars this usually occurs because pumping hot exhaust back into the intake has the side effect of warming the engine up faster. Since these engine don't warm up very well anything helps.

PD are bigger pain to remove/tune out/block off EGR. Older ALH it was simple and almost free.

Jason

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Malone Dynamic EGR is worth looking into. I have this on my BEW Golf.