Diesel fuel question

Kavm

TDI
Buying one
I am a new 2015 VW Jetta TDI owner. Bought it recently and am very happy with it.

This being my first diesel vehicle, I do have some question about the fuel:
  • I have come across stations selling bio diesel, number 2, and D20. Which types are (a) acceptable, and (b) preferred?
  • With gasoline cars, I'd mainly stick to Shell and also avoid unbranded or lower quality brand stations. Am a bit confused about what to prefer and what to avoid when filling in my Jetta TDI.
  • I read about the cetane value of the fuel being a measure of energy, etc. but have not seen any cetane value listed at the gas station.

I would appreciate any advice or clarity you are able to share. I am sure this question has been discussed before but could not find a thread when trying to find such discussion.

Many thanks!

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
For that car I'd keep the biodiesel below 5%. There are stories of higher concentrations gumming up injectors.

Biodiesel was fine in older diesel engines, but in the new ones with 30,000 PSI injection pressures, the injector tips get really hot and I believe the problem is this can cause biodiesel to turn to sludge in the end of the injector.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
VW approves up to B5. Never 100% biodiesel. Some states that mandate 20% have approval from VW for its use. In practice most have had no issues with anything under B20. Almost all fuel has at least some bio diesel in it now. Some states don't even require labeling under a certain percent, so you may never know anyway. I wouldn't really worry about it too much and just buy fuel from reputable places with high turnover.

Just forget about cetane for now. Most stations/people/companies won't have a clue or divulge anything other than it meets the minimum standard, even though it is generally well above that. The cars run fine on the available fuel.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
As for Diesel, I've been driving my 2002 Jetta TDI all over the USA, Canada and Mexico fuelling up at Brand names and unbranded. Never ever had any fuel issues until I switched cars.

Then 2 years ago I bought my 2015 Passat TDI and also use the same fuelling routine without any negative impact.

This includes the past two winter seasons in Mexico where they don't even have ULSD yet, though I've kept my driving in Mexico down to the bare minimum. To and Fro and some driving if I have to.

This December they're supposed switch over to ULSD.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to those saying ONLY buy branded Diesel.
My .02

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
That linked page was done in Malaysia using Palm biodiesel. I don't think you will find any of that here. The results there are not necessarily transferable to the use of US biodiesel. All biodiesel is not created equal. A small percentage (2%) is actually good for the engine for lubricity purposes. VW even approves of 5% or less. So I wouldn't shy away necessarily from it. You will probably use some no matter what you do anyway (unknowingly, it isn't even required to be listed in some circumstances). Many, many people in the states that mandate 20% bio use it without issue as well. So avoid it if you want to but it is a unnecessary endeavor for the most part.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
This includes the past two winter seasons in Mexico where they don't even have ULSD yet, though I've kept my driving in Mexico down to the bare minimum. To and Fro and some driving if I have to.
This December they're supposed switch over to ULSD.
A lot of ULSD refined in California is exported to Mexico, and presumably from Texas to Mexico as well.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
[*]With gasoline cars, I'd mainly stick to Shell and also avoid unbranded or lower quality brand stations.
TOP KEK
the fuel you are buying at all the stations in your area are all supplied from the same refinery. Strict standards keep it all the same. Aside from blends, the fuel you get is identical. diesel fuel has a bit more verity in "freshness" due to low sulfur and bacteria issues, but its all the same, just fill up normal diesel at the pump and avoid anything that says off road use only or bio diesel if you prefer.
It's all about price. I make trips out of my way to fill up at some stations that have "truck pumps" if you buy 25 gallons or more you get a discount, my location have a $0.50 a gallon off discount so i fill up 5x gallon cans and the car for max savings. FYI i have the cans and didn't cost me additional for this but its a big $ in savings.

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2015 sel grey / black interior
Diesel fuel

Diesel fuel is diesel fuel in this country no premium diesel there all the same look on gas buddy for the cheapest and get it there as for bio diesel its all ready in the blend don’t add any more and don’t use any above 10 percent ..and u will be fine always go so where they sell a lot of diesel

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Diesel fuel is diesel fuel in this country no premium diesel there all the same look on gas buddy for the cheapest and get it there as for bio diesel its all ready in the blend don’t add any more and don’t use any above 10 percent ..and u will be fine always go so where they sell a lot of diesel
There are stations that sell premium diesel alongside their regular stuff. It's typically 7-10 cents/gallon more in the summer and can be 20+ cents/gallon more in the winter. Since I usually add several ounces of a cetane-boosting additive, I rarely find a need to pay extra for premium diesel.