Shop is stumped!

BSpray29

TDI
06 Jetta BRM
I have a 2006 Jetta TDI and about a month or so ago I was driving on the interstate and the electro mechanical steering caution light came on. About 2 mins later it changed to red and then all the other warning lights on the dash illuminated(check engine, ABS, airbag, trac control, engine oil, etc.) and the warning bells dinged, PRNDS began flashing and the car went into false neutral. Had it towed to the shop and they reasoned that there was something wrong in the ECU. We shipped the ECU out and had it reworked and tested. Got it back and the car ran fine for about a week. Last Thurs as I was on the interstate, it all happened again. Car is back in the shop and they have no idea what is causing this. Does anyone have any ideas? I have already spent about $1000 with no change.

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
I would check the grounds, I know there are a few of them that can come loose/corrode. I don't know where they all are but I would start with a google search.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Was the wiring harness inspected and verified to be in good condition? It sounds like a chafed wire harness which is all too common for these cars. If it is a bad harness, I'd have them eat the cost for throwing parts at it.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Not sure why the ECU (I assume for the engine, you did not specify) was suspected, but I could have guessed that was not the issue.

I would start by checking DTCs in ALL the modules. Look for any DTCs that are related that perhaps various modules would have in common from a common source.

You could disconnect the steering rack harness completely and the car would still start, run, be able to be put in gear, and driven (albeit with no steering assist) and would still otherwise function normally.

I suspect there is either a power supply issue somewhere or a bad ground. DTCs would help.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Most likely the shop missed a very important ground.

Remove the air cleaner box and look for an acorn nut that is hidden under there. That is a major chassis ground and the ground for you electric assist steering. On my car that ground has worked loose twice causing several intermittent problems.

The second time it worked lose I got a brand new steel lock nut and haven't had intermittent ground problems in 100K miles or so. The tell for me was that charging voltage at the battery fluctuated and charging voltage at the alternator was rock solid.

BSpray29

TDI
06 Jetta BRM
Is there a particular spot in the wiring harness we should check? My mechanic said he has heard of the wire harness chaffing in drivers door, but not anywhere else.

BSpray29

TDI
06 Jetta BRM
Remove the air cleaner box and look for an acorn nut that is hidden under there. That is a major chassis ground and the ground for you electric assist steering. On my car that ground has worked loose twice causing several intermittent problems.
The second time it worked lose I got a brand new steel lock nut and haven't had intermittent ground problems in 100K miles or so. The tell for me was that charging voltage at the battery fluctuated and charging voltage at the alternator was rock solid.

Thanks Ol'Rattler, I'll double check that!

oilhammer

TDI
The BRMs have engine harness problems, quite common, did one last week. However, THAT is not your problem. It would not cause all that other unrelated symptoms.

DTCs

Grounds

Power supplies

BSpray29

TDI
06 Jetta BRM
The BRMs have engine harness problems, quite common, did one last week. However, THAT is not your problem. It would not cause all that other unrelated symptoms.
DTCs
Grounds
Power supplies
Thanks for the help Oilhammer! I stopped by the shop today and relayed to the mechanic what you said. As of now, he says he only knows for sure that there is some "communication issues." He said there was tons of trouble codes. All codes were wiped clear 2 weeks ago. Hopefully he can find something. If not, I wonder what it would cost to ship my car to St. Louis? Hmm.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Ditto on what Ol Rattler & Oil Hammer posted. & while you are at it:
1. Clean every ground in the engine compartment and under the windshield pan where the wiper mechanism & ECU are located.
2. Then go to the front face of the engine space fuse/relay box where a number or fusible links are located & clean those terminals also.

BSpray29

TDI
06 Jetta BRM
Problem solved.....so far

UPDATE! My 06 was in the shop about a month while they were trying to figure out the cause of my electro mechanical steering caution light....then warning....then all other warning lights, bells, buzzers, etc. coming on and car going in to false neutral. After going through over 100 DTC's looking for common ones in different modules, the mechanic identified the "steering torque sensor" as the only common code. He did a hard reset on the steering system and drove it back and forth to work and home for 2 weeks with no issues. I picked the car up about 3 weeks ago and have been driving it with no issues. At least this shop attempted to find a root cause instead of throwing parts at my car. So far, all is good. Oilhammer, does any of this make sense?

oilhammer

TDI
The torque sensor is integral with the power steering unit itself, no idea why it would have caused the issues it caused. Seems much more plausible that the ground for the steering module was the culprit on that front. But I am glad it is fixed, and thanks for reporting back.