Proactively replace turbo?

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Anyone proactively replace a turbo NOT as an upgrade? I have a 193k mile 2005 Jetta BEW auto with the original KP39 turbo. Still boosts fine and the engine as a whole uses about 1qt every 8k miles. I'm wondering if I should replace with a VNT17 just as a proactive measure so I don't have a catastrophic event down the line. Car is in good shape, rusted rockers near fender and rusted rear quarter where bumper meets.

Thoughts?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I would say no. dealing with turbos and other turbo related failures enough to say that as long as its working properly and measures all its indications with a passing grade (thrust play and side to side and oil consumption) that its always a gamble. if mostly stock, leave it alone, if you are punning more fuel (injection or other) than a EGT and Oil pressure gauge is the best insurance.
You dont change a light bulb before it dies right? I understand that light bulbs dont make life difficult when they go out in most cases.
Is yours a Manual or auto trans? if manual, dont change it, you can always stop a runaway if your clutch and breaks are good. Auto, well its up to you, most of these turbos can go for dam near 1 million miles. Most failures is a oil leak past the journal bearing. Keep an eye on how much oil builds up in the intercooler and roll the dice!

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
+1 on confirmin axial and radial play. Also if the turbo is not making "ambulance siren" noises when cold you should still be good

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Mongler98, it's an auto. There is maybe a 1/2 teaspoon in intercooler every 8k miles. I also do not baby it, she sees WOT for a good run at least once a week. She does have an RC1 on it, so nothing crazy. Small puff of white smoke at startup on occasion.

Carlos_TJ, no ambulance noise at startup or anything like that...

I will have to check axial play next time I'm working on her...

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Mongler98, it's an auto. There is maybe a 1/2 teaspoon in intercooler every 8k miles. I also do not baby it, she sees WOT for a good run at least once a week. She does have an RC1 on it, so nothing crazy. Small puff of white smoke at startup on occasion.
Carlos_TJ, no ambulance noise at startup or anything like that...
I will have to check axial play next time I'm working on her...

Dude your fine. too bad about the auto trans, there is a anti runaway valve you can install on the intake of the turbo, it has its pros and cons. You have to make one custom from some other parts but it works well and i have one im CNC building custom for my new 400+ build.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have customers with double that mileage on their BEWs with the original turbos. I'd not worry about it. Plus, usually the first thing that goes is the vane sensor, actuator, or the mechanism starts sticking or just gets flat worn out. They rarely go catastrophic.