Open Door Symbol ON in Cluster

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
As the title says, the OPEN DOOR SYMBOL (red) is ON in the cluster.

This is the 2002 ALH works in my Vanagon.

That light has never been ON previously. There is no DTC for it or anything remotely related.

I've searched my electrical schematics, note book, etc., and not found anything that I did to eliminate this symbol. I do not recall doing anything either (pre-August 2012).

Most recently, I've had the Cluster out to re-do ground wires, tidy up wiring in the dash, and re-solder the connections (each end) for the cruise control. Engine starts and runs fine....... one DTC #3 GP and the flashing GP due to a bad brake switch (on order).

Anyway, if anyone has some insight on this issue, thoughts, suggestions, etc., they will be deeply appreciated.

In the meantime, I'll keep searching the schematics for a solution.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
My wiring diagram says that the door open signal goes to pin 16 of the cluster's blue connector. It's a brown wire with a black stripe. However, that would be for an ALH cluster. If that's not what's in the Vanagon, then you'd have to look it up on a Vanagon wiring diagram.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
As the title says, the OPEN DOOR SYMBOL (red) is ON in the cluster.

This is the 2002 ALH works in my Vanagon.
My wiring diagram says that the door open signal goes to pin 16 of the cluster's blue connector. It's a brown wire with a black stripe. However, that would be for an ALH cluster. If that's not what's in the Vanagon, then you'd have to look it up on a Vanagon wiring diagram.
Thanks, I'll look again... must have overlooked it.

It's all out of a 2002 Jetta TDI installed in my 84 Vanagon ... been driving it for 6 years and 82k miles. I did the work mentioned in the initial post. When I button it all up and turned on the ignition, there was the symbol of the car door open.... never before!

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Actually, I think pin 16 is the trunk open signal. Pin 21 of the blue connector looks like the door open signal. It's a brown wire with a yellow stripe.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Okay! I found it in my copied drawings....

T32/16 which comes from the (EDIT) deck lid which I do not use. That wire was cut with about a 10 inch pig-tail.

Would grounding that wire cause the light illuminate? Since ground issues was one of the reasons I had the cluster out and that wire is brown, I may have grounded it. (likely a small black stripe since brown is listed first)

Okay, I guess this is it.

I don't know how I missed it in the schematics. But, as far as my notes, etc., since I did not use that circuit, there's no mention of it (makes sense).

Thanks Gmenounos.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah! I have both of them marked :eek:............ in red of all colors! How did I miss them?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, the circuit from T32/21 (door open) goes to Splice A13. I cannot find A13 on any of the schematics I copied and enlarged. I'd have to use a hand reading glass to review the schematics in the Bentley.

So, I'm going to assume I grounded it by accident...

I'll dig into that bundle again tomorrow!

Thanks!