2005 passat TDI 2.0 CRANK, WONT START please read

Jr467

TDI
05 passat 2.0 tdi
Hi everyone, new to the forum as of today. I recently picked up an 05 passat tdi 2.0 that wouldnt start. The guy I bought it from claims to have replaced the fuel filter and couldn't get it to start back up. Any way I got it home took off the t hose in the filter and the filter was dry as a bone. I filled it with fuel, vacuumed the lines on the fuel filter, and proceeded to start. It cranks really fast and shakes the car like it wants to start, but doesn't. I squirted a shot of starting fluid just to see what would happen and it fired for about 5 seconds, so i believe its fuel related. Air in lines?? Fuel pump is working also, checked anti shutter valve, and egr aw well. I just cant seem to figure out what to do next, and cant find anyone who has had this problem in the past. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Step one stop using starter fluid.
Step two pull the fuel line off the filter and aim into a suitable container. Cycle the ignition so the lift pump in the tank runs. If no fuel in your container find out why.

Jr467

TDI
05 passat 2.0 tdi
I only used one shot of fluid just to see if in fact it was a fuel issue. I've already pulled the line off the filter and it's getting fuel, I also pulled the line from the tandem pump and when I turn the key that spits fuel also. So I'm getting fuel up to the tandem pump, and I'm not sure what to do from there. Thanks for the input.

h.ubk

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI with 1Z Engine
Crank open the hard injector lines and let the fuel drip out, then tighten them and try to start as normal.

h.ubk

Jr467

TDI
05 passat 2.0 tdi
I would have to take the valve cover off to do anything with the injectors wouldnt I. This is on a 2.0 engine. It's not like my 04 jetta tdi, which is easier to work on, being the 1.9.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
I would have to take the valve cover off to do anything with the injectors wouldnt I. This is on a 2.0 engine. It's not like my 04 jetta tdi, which is easier to work on, being the 1.9.
They are very similar engines.
Did you check with VCDS do you have any codes?
It looks like something going on with injectors or timing.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Shouldn't there be a pickup pump? I don't know Passats but maybe they have issues with this pump dying just like the mkiv PD's? Something to look up...

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
On a Pumpe Duse engine, if you change the filter and fill the fuel system with air, it will take A LOT of cranking to get it to start again. Air is happy to just compress and expand without really going anywhere, unlike fuel.

So here's what you should try:

Remove the glowplugs, so the engine can spin over faster and there's no pressure acting against the air in the injectors.

Crank the engine until you see puffs of diesel mist coming out of the glowplug holes. It will be obvious. It wouldn't be unusual for this to take about 30 seconds of solid cranking. Crank it for 15 seconds, let the starter cool for a minute, then try again.

You'll probably see diesel mist coming out of one glowplug hole, then another, and so on until all four are puffing away. When that happens you're ready to start it.

Put the glowplugs back in, and it should fire right up the next time you crank it.

If you don't get fuel mist coming out of the glowplug holes after you've cranked it for a minute (in four 15 second sessions, resting in between), then something is wrong. At that point I would check that the injector wiring harness is plugged in. On the Passat that will be located on the end of the head near the firewall, beside the tandem pump. It might be hard to reach. On the Golf or Jetta it's easy to get at. I haven't seen a Passat engine up close.

Anyway, try that and if it still doesn't work, come back for more suggestions.

Last edited:

Jr467

TDI
05 passat 2.0 tdi
drucifer I actually already saw that post and tried that with no luck. Valve was open, and fuel pump is different.

Jetta,97 I used an obdii scanner and got codes on all 4 flow plugs saying circuit open

Mike_04golftdi, just tried it, misted fuel but put plugs back in and it was a no go.

Thanks guys for trying to help!

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
drucifer I actually already saw that post and tried that with no luck. Valve was open, and fuel pump is different.

Jetta,97 I used an obdii scanner and got codes on all 4 flow plugs saying circuit open

Mike_04golftdi, just tried it, misted fuel but put plugs back in and it was a no go.

Thanks guys for trying to help!
It sounds like your glowplugs aren't working then. Unless the codes are only there because you took the glowplugs out while checking for fuel mist.

Try clearing those codes and see if they come back, after making sure the glowplug wiring harness is connected to the plugs.

If the codes come back, then there's a good chance the car is not starting because the glowplugs aren't working. You were getting fuel mist puffing out the glowplug holes, so it seems like it's getting fuel.

I'm not sure how essential the glowplugs are during warm weather. I've never tried starting my car with them disconnected. I always assumed it would probably start without them, but might be a little rough at first. Maybe they are truly essential. You've got four glowplug codes, apparently have fuel, and it won't start, so....

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You know, I was going to suggest trying to heat up the intake manifold with a heat gun, but then I thought, nooooo, that's crazy.

Well, here's a guy doing it to start his diesel that has bad glowplugs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DToXaLUn7OA

If you try this, be careful not to melt any plastic bits. You might even consider disconnecting the boost pipes and blowing hot air directly into the intake while someone cranks it.

If you can get some hot enough air into the cylinders, it might start, if lack of heat is it's only problem.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Sounds like it's getting diesel. Car should start in this weather with no glow plugs.
Since it's never started for you you need to go over a bunch of stuff.
Fuel+Compression=explosion. Fuel is diesel and air, so check for air. Loose big pipes, clogged filter, etc. Might be good to run a compression test, you'll need a gauge that goes above 500.
Cranking fast always bothers me when I hear it. Definitely worth popping the timing belt cover to see that it's all happy.
Did the guy mention when it was last running good, other repair history?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You have to use PRESSURE to prime a PD sometimes.

I have an inline pump (loose) specifically for this purpose.

I attach it in line between the filter and the tandem pump (so it will be the line closest to the head, heading towards the front of the car).

Tandem pumps can be very troublesome if allowed to get dry.

You also increase the injection amount if you hold your foot about 3/4 down on the accelerator pedal while cranking. That often helps to purge the air.

The PD has no return inside the chamber in the head feeding the injectors. The only return is through the tandem pump. So air in the chamber HAS to be forced out through the injectors.

I'd also verify the routing of the fuel lines at the filter. No idea how, but I get a few cars a year towed in here that somehow someone put fuel lines on backwards. White marks are feed, blue is return. So feed INTO the filter in the rear nipple, OUT of the filter is the front nipple (both toward the head, both directly to the filter). The return line back INTO the filter is from the front, into the thermo-tee, and back OUT to the back, and back across the firewall parallel to the feed line.

Jr467

TDI
05 passat 2.0 tdi
Mike_04Golftdi,
I cleared the codes and they have not come back after cranking it off and on for about 10min, so I think it was because I removed them. Thanks for the suggestions, hopefully someone will have the answer to the problem, never had issues with my 04 jetta tdi, so I'm not sure what else to check on this engine.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So maybe your glowplugs are working. If fuel is being injected at the right time and the glowplugs work, it should start. Are you 100% sure you're seeing diesel mist coming out of the glowplug holes while cranking it with them removed?

Could anything be blocking the air intake tract? Anti shudder valve?

Jr467

TDI
05 passat 2.0 tdi
Sorry post never went through. I erased the codes and they haven't come back on yet. Cranked a total of about 15-20min since clearing with no codes.

Rodmiser

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta s\DSG 2015 & 1&2 FIX
12 months old, drain it, start with new please, Thank you.

even 6 month old.

Last edited: