HOW TO and do-it-yourself threads

Codymuddinlong

TDI
2000 jetta
White smoke no power

Hey guys new here. I just bought a tdi so bare with me I no diesels from my 7.3s and cuminnis. But I was driving home and I lost my turbo seals I put the new one on and drained the intercooler. But I'm still getting this white smoke with no power. But if I lug it out long enough the rmps will start to go up but won't go over 2700. And the doctors so really bad anyone out there know a tip. Oh the smoke smells like diesel I'm thinking injection pump over Pressureing

redhuskers

TDI
passat sel
Hey everyone! I bought a 2015 VW Passat TDI SEL, I love it, but my bank called me and said the title is a salvage title. Are the TDIs that are coming back after being fixed getting a salvage title? Can't find anything online. Thanks!

elizabella42

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Thank You for this...am having a difficult time navigating this website to be able to post looking for info/help on doing the clutch for my 2003 TDI wagon ...the conversion kit or stay with dual mass flywheel

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, the forum is a lot of info, much of it is anecdotal. Lots on this subject as well.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy the newer DMF kit, most of the fails seem to be older, cheaper factory units. I would think that for $300 you will get something that will go at least another 100k miles.
VW TDI Search Engine

Genes98bug

TDI
Beetlebug tubro 1.9 tdi diesel
Diesel problems

When i park my 98 bug for few days it loses prime won't start .what cause this is there a check valve in pump if not can i put one in line .

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2015 sel grey / black interior
Hey everyone! I bought a 2015 VW Passat TDI SEL, I love it, but my bank called me and said the title is a salvage title. Are the TDIs that are coming back after being fixed getting a salvage title? Can't find anything online. Thanks!

No way .. take back to where u bought demand a refund and do business some where else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Satsonic

TDI
2006 Jetta TDi (BRM) - DSG Trans (02E)

Like the others have said - not a chance. Salvage title is totally different then some firmware update for emissions. Only a few ways to get a salvage title, none are good (i.e. accident, flood etc...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
hey guys, i ve made use of this sticky at times, and for my mk3-a3 have found good info. i have a topic for my 1st post in this 'main' diy thread.

so a few days ago i was intending to swap in new power steering fluid. i had looked for info. not much in posts. i got some good info, advice and proceeded. so to help here are my result.
->
doing the routine once i learned a lot to get it right. heres what i did.
jack up front end, i put on stands. remove passenger tire. loosen p/s belt, you want to rotate p/s pulley by hand. check belt, you may want a new one.
now to start routine. i first get as much of the fluid out of the reservoir. have a plastic baggie ready, and a zip-tie. take return hose off, fluid will drain from both sides, the rest of the reservoir you can drain, if your not afraid of a little mess. whether or not, put baggie on, i double it up, zip-tie it. keep reservoir cap off. use a connector from the return hose and a hose extension to your fluid waste 'collector', a gallon jug like an empty milk or water bottle will work. have help to turn steering wheel, have him turn wheel a few times, check if you have fluid flowing out. just to start, lower level some. put fluid in, you turn pump pulley, while help turns wheel lock-to-lock. check fluid level while doing this. as far as a system that has really dirty fluid, and/or hasnt been serviced since new, like i did, i got into 3 bottles to fluid flush. (16 oz bottles). so keep the fluid flowing, after your satisfied, button system/hose up. now check level, keep your help, fluid level doesnt have to be topped off, not when cold or to start anyways. you turn pump a few times, help again turns wheel, lock-to-lock, a few times, again check level, if good, you can do that last part one more time, you turn pump and the help turns wheel. this part is one to make sure the pump is primed, and the rack is purged of any air bubbles. tighten belt, put wheel on, now jack car down, check stuff, like connection, last fluid, have enough in, like above the top needed cold. if ok start, turn steering wheel lock-to-lock(3 times), turn motor off, (added:edit,>)_right here, if you want to be very careful, 1st when you start motor, let idle for about 2seconds, i give it some revs, to idle, shut off, do a quick fluid check, if ok, again start, now turn wheel lock-to-lock 3 times, again shut off, check fluid level. now just to be sure before taking out for a drive, start up again turn wheel lock-to-lock, 6times will do. again, if you want to be careful, shut off and check fluid for the last time.(<<,had added:edited) --and check fluid level, if everything is ok your ready for a drive, after engine/fluid is warmed up you can 'top-off'. doesnt take much to top-off. clean up any fluid mess in engine compartment, with motor warm and engine running. i take a garden hose and clean stuff up, run motor to dry out. <becareful you can get moisture in/near starter, so i keep motor running, take for another drive to dry out. you should have success!!
<- this is post #11 in topic. i ll put up the thread link.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=495102
ok that time maybe i got the link. i was going to say as a note about my topic. i in the thread i am chided for the p/s fluid i use. like i say in the topic, as long as/i hope i dont blow seal(s), other than that happen to have a thing for my fluid/lubes that i use. its for an older mk3, a3, i do believe the b4 is the same. they insist on a certain fluid here for compatibility, i dont doubt, used my amsoil stuff here.
hopefully this p/s fluid swap/fresh-fluid flush is good info and can help.
:cool:

just thinking about it this may work/be similar for a mk4, and mk2s are much the same as 3s (p/s) should work for them as well. if not somewhat rare for a 2.(<<- just as far as fluid change, for a 2)

Last edited:

Lexacode

TDI
2001 beetle,2003beetle convertible
Converting my 03convertible beetle to a tdi

I’m new here so not sure where to put this.
I have a 03 beetle convertible (auto)that I’m changing to a tdi standard.
Not sure where to go look for info about this.

Rcox

TDI
Jetta Sportswagen 2010
2010 TDI Sports wagon Fuel Pump mystery

TDI Forum,
My 2010 TDI Jetta Sportswagon fuel pump blew up sent plastic parts throughout the fuel system. My mechanic has put in new fuel pump all filters also replaced other pumps or filters including on gas tank. Please note I may not be stating everything correct I am not good with car repairs. They blew out all the lines and cleaned out injectors. They can prime system car starts runs perfect. Idles perfect however once you shut it off an hour later will not start.

My mechanic has had same results three times. Prime it and all is GTG however it sits will not start without going bleeding for air in lines and priming.

At a total loss really need to try and get this fixed and get back on the road. Appreciate any advice you guys can share.

Separate topic heard rumor on the TDI like mine that had all the legal lawsuits going on that getting parts may start being a problem? Interested if anyone else had hear of this?

Again appreciate you sharing your expert advice to a total repair novice but a big fan of my TDI Sportswagon which I now have 205K miles on

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
you can probably put in your models section, as a post. its not that difficult of a problem. for one you should have a 'clear' line, going into the pump. check that for air. a new pump install, any connection needs to be traced for leaks, pump may not be that 'new', pumps leak, mainshaft is a major culprit, not the only.
it can be a chore to trace down, but its pretty straight forward. find where air is getting into system. it can be the pump. it sounds like pre-pump leak, or it can be the pump. etc,etc, even so check post-pump, if you have a rail, that may need to be checked as well.

Arnolds727

TDI
2013 jetta stage 2
Not sure on the rules but recently got a 2013 tdi jetta looked for a while about getting a buzzken or rawtek downpipe really didnt like either so decided to build my own looks amazing made from stainless and tig welded so you can see that beautiful rainbow welds really thought the other companies mig welds were ugly i am going to start making them to sell so if anyone is intrested i have pics also

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Welcome to tdiclub! Do a DIY new thread and post everything there. You need to start using some punctuation and stuff though or your posts will be too hard to read as one long sentence.

TDI
02jetta
5 speed swap

Hi
Where can I find the procedure and pics on the electrical part of a auto to manual swap. I want to do the wiring for the cruse , brake switch and clutch switch to work correctly Thanks

Driftmanager

TDI
Mk4
Turbo

Hi
I hope this is the correct thread for turbo problems?
I have a VW mk4 2002 AHF model.
My problem is turbo delay, the usual full boost has always been at 2000rpm.
Now I only get full boost at about 2500rpm, which is frustrating it changes the way of driving the car.
I have checked all vacuum pipes which is usually the probleem, already replaced them with stronger more reliable fuel pipes.
Checked turbo pipe for leak none found. I found a small leak on the vacuum pump sealed it still same problem. I cleaned my air intake sensor still no joy. I resently changed Cham shaft and valve guides so had to disconnect timing belt and changed water pump while it was striped. I have replaced and worked with the timing belt a lot of times so I doubt it is an timing issue as the engine runs and starts with no issues.
I must also say since the valve guide problem, before and after replacin, there is an sound around the turbo area of air escaping when the engine is switched off only for a short period and I'm still trying to find the location.
Sorry for the long post hope someone has some idea where to go next.
Thanx in advance.

brian123

TDI
2004 golf
2004 golf parts needed

New to forums completely. Not sure how to start a question other than a reply to where I am reading. Sorry
Have posted this question else where here but as I said don't know how to start a new question so here goes.
I have a 2004 Golf TDI that I had a bit of a bender with. I am looking for parts to see about costs to fix up and drive again. Start list is front bumper and rad support. Drivers side wheel panel. Interior dash and passenger airbag.
Would like to know which models and years will work for replacement parts for my car? Will possibly pick away at it through the coming summer till I can get it back on the road again. Or what do you think about the viability of parting it out. It has had regular maintenance with my mechanic all these years and he says the motor and everything still has lots of mileage still left in it. currently at the 350k mark. so what years and models will work for me to look for at the junk yards and parts yards? Really love my golf.

memphisride

TDI
1.9 Beetle
Hello, My 1999 1.9 TDI goes into limb mode when going up an incline at around 3000 RPM. I can also make it do it on the flat if I put the pedal to the floor. It will also idle rough when you are have the clutch in slowing down to stop. Once stopped, it goes back to a normal idle. I have replaced the wastegate valve, turbo boost solenoid and cleaned the mass air flow sensor. Any ideas would be appreciated.