VW TDI Search Engine

whalleyz

TDI
2003 Jetta GL Wagon Auto
I've been enjoying the tdiclub.com community for a few years now but I've found the built-in forum search tools a bit unsatisfying. After reading the ump-teenth "do a search" reply today it seems like some of you may feel the same way so I decided to make a new Google-powered search tool I'm calling the VW TDI Search Engine.

https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=018097697432185261444:_idbzjdyxdm

What is it?
The VW TDI Search Engine makes it easier to search TDI forums using Google's familiar search box, and it only returns results from VW TDI sites:
  • TDIclub.com,
  • myturbodiesel.com,
  • vwdiesel.net,
  • OEM VW wheels database @ 4130-products.com/wheels/,
  • the TDI forum on vwvortex.com, and
  • the TDI forum on jettajunkie.com.

Do Google's advanced search operators work?
Yes, all of Google's advanced search operators work on the VW TDI Search Engine. If you're not familiar with advanced search operators do a search. :D Sorry, I couldn't resist... here are a couple links to get you started:
There are several custom features too:
  • View All results together or filter results by site,
  • Toggle between text results or image results, and
  • Automatically search variations of VW generation numbers. For example, if you search for MK4 it will also include results for MKIV.

What about the ads?
The ads that appear on the VW TDI Search Engine are controlled by Google and I do not make anything from them. There is a way to remove the ads but it involves paying Google for a "pro tier" account and since I'm doing this for fun I'm using a "free tier" account, which requires ads.

Can more sites be added to VW TDI Search Engine?
Yes, just add a reply to this thread with the VW TDI site you want included and I'll review it. I'm making this up as a I go so I don't have hard rules for what to include, however, sites that are obscene or off-topic will not be included.

Your feedback and questions are welcome and I hope you find this useful.

Enjoy,
whalleyz

Last edited:

whalleyz

TDI
2003 Jetta GL Wagon Auto
Wow, it's so cool you guys like it! Thanks for replying.

I just added a feature that lets you view all results together or "filter" results by each site.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Just a note- All the search engines I've used on forums (a bunch) are poor. I mean every one.
I try to encourage folks to use advanced search engines with the site specified and Boolean keywords as necessary.
A lot of folks will benefit from Whalleyz pre-packaged TDI search engine- Great Job!!
Just remember folks, since it's google based, someday you will click on it and it will get mangled somehow (just Googles way).

whalleyz

TDI
2003 Jetta GL Wagon Auto
Thanks all for the positive feedback, much appreciated! I agree with Bob there's a certain amount of control lost from using someone else's platform and I will keep this thread updated if anything breaks or significantly changes.

Also, I mentioned before that this tool has a custom feature that automatically includes model number variations when you search. For example, searching for MK4 will automatically include results for MKIV. This is called search 'synonyms' and I added a few more yesterday.

Here's the current list of synonyms and please feel free to suggest more:
Search Term = Synonym:
For Sale = FS
JSW = Jetta Sportwagen
Wanted to Buy = WTB
jetta = bora
mk1 = mki
mk2 = mkii
mk3 = mkiii
mk4 = mkiv
mk5 = mkv
mk6 = mkvi

Last edited:

CRD4me

Veteran Member
TDI
MB CRD & VW PD
Anybody is using taptalk ?
I can't see the search bar on the top of the category panel. Also I don't see my subscribed thread, in the subscribed applet :\
I see them on the full webpage but not on talptalk ...

dyvyd

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI; 2010 Jetta TDI, 6-spd manual
Definitely deserves the sticky. i checked it out & already found a couple posts i couldn't find searching here in the forum because i didn't remember the post title quite correclty. Great job.
P.S. For folks with ad issues, i using chromium (chrome for linux platform) with ghostery & privacy badger & they block all ads in the viewer's browser. Don't seem to slow it down either. Can't take credit though, learned of them from an article on ZDNet.

Great work whalleyz!

jj128

TDI
04 golf
This cuts my search time down so much I now have time to spend with my family! Thanks whalleyz for reuniting my family with their Dad

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Software conflict

Recently migrated from Firefox to Edge on my Windows 10 machine.
The site doesn't work, it seems to have a problem with input window.
Really nice search engine, does what I used to do with google advanced, only easier.
I will likely go back to using Firefox.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Recently migrated from Firefox to Edge on my Windows 10 machine.
The site doesn't work, it seems to have a problem with input window.
Really nice search engine, does what I used to do with google advanced, only easier.
I will likely go back to using Firefox.
The Search Engine now works properly in Windows 10 with Microsoft Edge.
Great Tool

jphack58

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
post to desktop

when you find this link that shows you the search page, right click on upper right corner and a dropdown menu will come up, click on the "shortcut to" and you can go directly to the search page, easy, and a great tool, will show you the other VW forums though too.

Eneive

TDI
VW Golf 5 TDI
Hello

Hey people, is it posible to replace tdi engine 2,0 with tdi 1,9 ? ! i'm already tired to search for this question. i have some health issues (i also need to search for hgh reviews) and i can't resist very much on researching. someone could answer me? i would be really happy!!

Last edited: