Can I pump my own diesel in NJ?

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
generally, the attendants I deal with would rather you handle the dirty diesel nozzle than do it themselves... Therefore I've found that those attendants that believe it is illegal to self serve diesel in nj will still let you if cajoled. At the very least I insist on doing the top-up myself. Going to the same station helps. They get to know you and come to expect you to pump it yourself. I usually fill at either the gulf or hess stations on RT-18 just past the turnpike..

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
Originally posted by KdF Man:
NOT, it's all about providing meaningless employment to the minimum wage, down't want to work anyway jobs to the careless idiots of the world. it's a public relations, political stunt and that's all there is to it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You are probably right about the reasons why the voters decided to not institute self-serve in Oregon the last time it was on the ballot, but you are wrong about the law itself. As I posted before, it's a fire safety law. The law is "enforced" (although I've never seen any evidence of enforcement besides the station operator's reluctance to violate the law) by the fire marshal. AFAIK it has always been this way.

My old 78' Rabbit had the regular-size fuel filler hole and really liked to spit out gas pump nozzles, especially the ones with the fume collector collars.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Originally posted by njoverkill:
If you live in the NJ/NY area, you will notice that NJ FULL SERVE prices are considerably cheaper than NY SELF SERVE prices! The law was passed to allegedly create jobs, I believe.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's cheaper than PA also, which is why I fill up in NJ

cpermd

Veteran Member
Holy ****,What kind of place doesn't let you pump your own fuel?
You probably can't carry a concealed 45 ACP in a SOB holster either!
cpermd

Felix Leiter

They've removed all the little catches that allow you to turn the pump on, lock the trigger in place, and clean your windshield etc while your gas pumps. You have to stand there and hold the damn thing now (which sucks when it is -30º out). If you use your gas-cap to wedge the trigger in the on position the girl in the station will yell at you through the intercom...

bowlerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi black
Think i have a good point. i finally said to someone about this diesel issue and they said that if the diesel pump is with the gas they have to serve it to you as consumer in Nj. if diesel pump is away from gas then pretty sure its self serve. all truckers do it themselves. usually next to the diesel pump, away from gas there is a sign for self service. i think im right? maybe not

MORE_MPG

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon, 1996, Grey
Just a quick on topic story.

I work in Allentown, PA and am used to pumping my own gasoline and diesel. So, it just feels right that way regardless of the cost.

My company has a facility in Cherry Hill, NJ, so I end up there on occasion.

Once I was really pushing the limits in the TDI so I (knowing the law) pulled into a turnpike service plaza and up to a pump and asked if I could pump my own diesel. I was told no, I said that the law didn't apply to diesel (being pretty sure that I was right), but still was told no. So, I crossed my fingers and drove gently on. I pulled off at the next exit and started searching. Ended up pulling in beind 2 dump trucks (one blocking the view of the attendants), waited my turn and pumped my own (venting to the top and everything just like always). I did ask the truck driver and he said that diesel was OK to pump yourself. Then when I went in to pay the attendant had no problems with me and seems happy not to have another set of pumps to deal with.

Yes, the diesel pumps were seperate from the gas pumps. I really don't know that that make a difference though.

I did once drive on fumes back out of NJ in a gas car just so that I could pump it myself. Just a thing with me is all.

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver
I tend to agree that an important purpose is providing minimum wage employment. However, if that were the only purpose there would be other such laws prohibiting the general public from, say, opening the doors to JCPenney by themselves.

The repeated references to elderly/handicapped suggest that lobbying by those groups also plays a part.

Oregon
480.315 Policy. The Legislative Assembly declares that, except as provided in ORS 480.345 to 480.385, it is in the public interest to maintain a prohibition on the self-service dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids at retail. The Legislative Assembly finds and declares that:

(1) The dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids by dispensers properly trained in appropriate safety procedures reduces fire hazards directly associated with the dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids;
(2) Appropriate safety standards often are unenforceable at retail self-service stations in other states because cashiers are often unable to maintain a clear view of and give undivided attention to the dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids by customers;
(3) Higher liability insurance rates charged to retail self-service stations reflect the dangers posed to customers when they leave their vehicles to dispense Class 1 flammable liquids, such as the increased risk of crime and the increased risk of personal injury resulting from slipping on slick surfaces;
(4) The dangers of crime and slick surfaces described in subsection (3) of this section are enhanced because Oregon’s weather is uniquely adverse, causing wet pavement and reduced visibility;
(5) The dangers described in subsection (3) of this section are heightened when the customer is a senior citizen or is disabled, especially if the customer uses a mobility aid, such as a wheelchair, walker, cane or crutches;
(6) Attempts by other states to require the providing of aid to senior citizens and the disabled in the self-service dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids at retail have failed, and therefore, senior citizens and the disabled must pay the higher costs of full service;
(7) Exposure to toxic fumes represents a health hazard to customers dispensing Class 1 flammable liquids;
(8) The hazard described in subsection (7) of this section is heightened when the customer is pregnant;
(9) The exposure to Class 1 flammable liquids through dispensing should, in general, be limited to as few individuals as possible, such as gasoline station owners and their employees or other trained and certified dispensers;
(10) The typical practice of charging significantly higher prices for full-service fuel dispensing in states where self-service is permitted at retail:
(a) Discriminates against customers with lower incomes, who are under greater economic pressure to subject themselves to the inconvenience and hazards of self-service;
(b) Discriminates against customers who are elderly or handicapped who are unable to serve themselves and so must pay the significantly higher prices; and
(c) Increases self-service dispensing and thereby decreases maintenance checks by attendants, which results in neglect of maintenance, endangering both the customer and other motorists and resulting in unnecessary and costly repairs;
(11) The increased use of self-service at retail in other states has contributed to diminishing the availability of automotive repair facilities at gasoline stations;
(12) Self-service dispensing at retail in other states does not provide a sustained reduction in fuel prices charged to customers;
(13) A general prohibition of self-service dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids by the general public promotes public welfare by providing increased safety and convenience without causing economic harm to the public in general;
(14) Self-service dispensing at retail contributes to unemployment, particularly among young people;
(15) Self-service dispensing at retail presents a health hazard and unreasonable discomfort to the handicapped, to elderly persons, small children and those susceptible to respiratory diseases;
(16) The federal Americans with Disabilities Act, Public Law 101-336, requires that equal access be provided to disabled persons at retail gasoline stations; and
(17) Small children left unattended when customers leave to make payment at retail self-service stations creates a dangerous situation. [1991 c.863 §49a; 1999 c.59 §160]

[ November 03, 2002, 09:50: Message edited by: dqa ]

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
I wanted to point out that when I rent a car or have to fill up, go to a self-serve.

I have to admit that most gas attendant are careless (yes I admit it njoverkill), but not all of them.

Educated idiot? Maybe not the idiot part KdF Man.

I came across some people from NJ yesterday and asked them about full serve down there.

They said that it is nice since they just have to sit back and wait until it's done, leaving their hands clean.

For some people this is the main point to go to a gas station: sit back and wait until it's done.

I rather do it myself; to be sure it's well done.

Just my point of view.

Have fun.

Rammstein.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
NOt all diesel pumps are separate from gas pumps. The Hess gas stations have the diesel pumps with it. The texaco in Columbia, NJ has the separate pumps (trucks) and the with the gas pumps (cars...where I normally fill up).

The Hackettstown Race Trac, same thing, included with the gas pumps....

Many of the gas stations have them separate...off of I-295, around the Bordentown exit (I think)...the truck stop off of Rte 206 (the McGuire AFB exit)....of course they see more trucks..

[ November 04, 2002, 06:39: Message edited by: 20IndigoBlue02 ]

Brock Lee

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
I live in NJ, and always pump my own diesel or gas.

Where do you guys live, up in the North Country?

(I'm in Ocean county).

Then again, Ocean County is in S. Jersey, not New Jersey, isn't it? ;-)

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Sedan, Silver (sold); 2016 Jetta TSI 1.8t Sport, 5 sp, LP; 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (wife's)
IndigoBlue:
I think you were asking me about the price at Region Oil in Dover. The last time I filled up about 10 days ago the price was not posted on the top of the pumps. I'll be going there tomorrow and hopefully it will be posted. It was $1.299 which had been the price for about the past seven months.

The fuel is Coastal Next Generation Diesel with a Cetane index of 47. It's refined in South Jersey at the Coastal Eagle Point Refinery. I think the crude is from Norway.

njoverkill

Originally posted by Stizo:
hey njoverkill, you find any deals on your car yet? I went to three dealerships in 2.5 hours and settled on a black '03 Jetta GL TDI 5speed for $17,800 + tax from Reydel in Edison. My rule was no more than 20 min in a dealership and no BS. If they couldn't do my price I left. The best deals are done in the parking lot. Sure I could have got a better deal but I hate shopping and haggling.

If you are interested, I'll give you the name of the salesman. A real straight shooter, no BS, no hidden fees like the other guys that day.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Stizo. Nothing good yet. Just been dealing with a lot of bullcrap. Everybody I find mostly has 2002's which is fine with me. I pretty much want to pay $17K including destination for a 2002 GLS with Monsoon and Luxury. I think the equivalent of this price on a 2003 GLS with Monsoon (Luxury is standard for 2003) is about $18K. I can't really see a reason to pay $1K more for the same car (nicer rims, IMO but not worth $1000), except for resale will be better on an 03, naturally, because it is newer. I hate dealing with these sales guys. I am really ready to close the deal and they have to make things difficult! Any suggestions are appreciated.

Richard Berg

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
I happen to like not being forced to pump my own fuel - that's my story, and I'm sticking with it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">To my knowledge, there are no states where full-service stations are illegal.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Originally posted by Richard Berg:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I happen to like not being forced to pump my own fuel - that's my story, and I'm sticking with it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">To my knowledge, there are no states where full-service stations are illegal.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah? That may be, but try finding someone to pump it for you outside of NJ or OR -- good luck, write if you get work. My sister went to school in the Poconos -- the only station that pumped for her was a tiny operation that she had to drive 15 minutes out of her way to get to.

Once Self-Serve comes in, full-serve gets very rare. How many full-serve opportunities do you see in Self-Serve land?

Rob

P.S. For those inquiring Garden Staters, I tend to fill up in Clinton, since I live near there. I use the Hess, which is 45 Cetane as posted on the pump, or on rare occasion, the Mobil across the highway.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Originally posted by ACHTUNG TDI:
IndigoBlue:
I think you were asking me about the price at Region Oil in Dover. The last time I filled up about 10 days ago the price was not posted on the top of the pumps. I'll be going there tomorrow and hopefully it will be posted. It was $1.299 which had been the price for about the past seven months.

The fuel is Coastal Next Generation Diesel with a Cetane index of 47. It's refined in South Jersey at the Coastal Eagle Point Refinery. I think the crude is from Norway.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The price isn't that bad. THough I have no idea the cetane rating of the Spartan diesel at the Texaco I go to ($1.279), but they use PowerService Artic Express (blue bottle in retail stores) to treat theres. Compared to around the area, it's a great price.

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Sedan, Silver (sold); 2016 Jetta TSI 1.8t Sport, 5 sp, LP; 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (wife's)
IndigoBlue

Well I still don't know the current price at Region Oil. It's not posted on pumps and I didn't have time to call them today.

With regard to Power Service Arctic Express I just read in another forum, I think in Fuels and Lubricants, that one member only uses the Power Service Diesel Kleen and Power Service Fuel Supplement (grey and white bottles) because according to Power Service they do not contain any alcohol. Alcohol is not good for the injection pump. This club member could not verify than the Arctic Express is alcohol free.

Pugster

TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
NJ & one other state have laws requiring an attendent to pump your fuel except at unattended card lock locations. The cardlock operaters had a hard time to get this law ammended to take care of their needs of "self Service refueling". Full service is an acharic law and in NJ they have attempted to overturn it many times. It still survives. We live in PA right across the Delaware river from NJ. Because of low state fuel tax, NJ has some of the cheapest fuel prices in the nation. My wife goes across the river to buy her gas. She hates pumping gas, and they wash your windshield and check the fluids. What a nice way to refuel. Unless you need something in the store you don't even have to get out of your vehicle.

pogo

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf/02/5spd 230K Passat SE/12/DSG 50K
Regarding Region Oil Diesel Club prices in Dover. I asked for an application form a few weeks back and was told the price, then, was $1.499/gallon, plus a $12 yearly club membership fee.

I'm looking around to see what kind of mileage I get from different public diesel supplies. One thing I noticed is that not all Hess diesel fuel performas the same. I seem to get about 2 mpg from the Dover Hess fuel ($1.459) verses the Mountain Lakes Hess ($1.349). The Dover fuel seems to smell less too. This after about 3 tankfulls with each.

Power Service Fuel Supplement doesn't seem to effect my fuel economy, or make any other noticable difference. But then its not too cold in NJ. Anyone experience otherwise?

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
I personally use PowerService Diesel Fuel Supplement year-round.

The Raceway station (I used Race-Trac...Northern VA has Race-Trac) in Hackettstown jacked up their prices to $1.359 recently.

Dover has a Hess sation? Never noticed it. There's one in Ledgewood.

I had freezing rain bounce off my windshield this morning waiting fot the awful light at Rte 15, coming from Wharton

[ November 07, 2002, 08:14: Message edited by: 20IndigoBlue02 ]

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
The Hess station that Pogo refers to I believe is on Route 46 in Rockaway just east of Trend Motors. When I joined the Region Oil Diesel Club over a year ago I was never told about an annual fee, and I don't think I've ever been billed for it.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Right across the street from Boston Market.
Diagonal is KFC.

I've always thought the Rockaway Hess has pretty high prices, I think the Ledgewood Hess is $1.35 or 1.36

[ November 07, 2002, 10:14: Message edited by: 20IndigoBlue02 ]

natebg

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI LUX
How does Region Oil work, do they have some sort of cardlock system with monthly billing? Also how are their prices compared with other fuel stations? Somewhat lower considering an annual fee?

PstorJeff

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS wagon, Tornado Red
Ok, here's one more unsubstantiated opinion ---
I love having someone pump my own gas. After 14 years in New Jersey, I hate to travel to other states where I have to get out of my car in the cold or the rain, get gas or diesel smells all over my good clothing, and stand there holding the nozzel because they've disabled the automatic pumping feature. What gives with that?

Perhaps I'm not sophisticated enough to know the benefits of pumping my own. I've never been trained in the perfect technique. On the other hand, in 14 years I've never left a station saying "Wow, that attendant is undertrained in this remarkably skilled craft. I could have put that tube in the hole and squeezed the trigger much better myself!"

So, am I willing to pay 15 cents extra to have my fuel pumped in other states?
Nah. Only in the midst of a blizzard or cloudburst. But I always end up longing for good old NJ.

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Natebg,
Give Region Oil a call at 973-366-3100 and ask them about the Diesel Club. My wife and I are both members: me 2001 Jetta sedan; her 2002 Jetta wagon. I don't believe I'm paying any annual fee. We both have our own cards, and you can set up monthly billing. I'm not sure of the current price as they don't post it on the dispenser anymore. But in March it was over $1.90. I noticed how Hess diesel has dropped in price and is now under $1.60.

Even though the cetane index is 47 I still use an additive such as Power Service.

natebg

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI LUX
Thanks for the info, I called yesterday and I am getting set up with a card. the current price yesterday was $1.549. My card should be set up within a week or so. They do not post the current price, that kind of sucks...oh well, they seem to have a very competative price anyway. I also always use Power Service. Do you know if they also sell any bio diesel or biodiesel blends or ULSD?, or anyone around here that does?
Thanks

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't know anyone in north Jersey who sells biodiesel or biodiesel blends. NJ Transit busses are running on ULSD but I don't know who sells to them. I was at a GTG last December, and Bowlerman's father said the NJ Transit ULSD is achieved by using bio-diesel. If you check this thread I believe Bowlerman responded. You can ask him about bio-diesel.

Let me know how you make out with Region Oil and how your car runs with their fuel.