Proud Parents of a 2013 Passat SEL TDI

P3MECH

TDI
2013 Passat SEL

My fiancée and I are proud parents of a new baby VW. We purchased a VW Passat TDI SEL. Living in Maryland we are required to display the license on the front of the car. I don't want drill holes or use zip strips. I have seen the remote controlled hide-a-plate, which I want. I don't see a sturdy enough place to mount it under the front bumper. I have also seen the Tow Hook plate holders, but I haven't seen a spot for it on the front of the car. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what to do or to use? Thank you in advance for any and all help.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Take it to a VW dealer in MD, and get the thing installed. Save yourself the grief of voiding any warranty.

Yankinwaoz

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
We are supposed to have front plates in California too. My Passat came with the plate mount and it was no problem. I wonder why yours didn't come with it?

P3MECH

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Turns out the plate holder was in the trunk. It still requires drilling into the bumper. I am looking alternative means to mounting the license plate.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Take it to a VW dealer in MD, and get the thing installed. Save yourself the grief of voiding any warranty.
How in the world could installing a license plate void his warranty?

OP. RTM..there are probably instructions on how/where to install the holder..

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The manual says drill holes. OP doesn't want to drill holes.

Jason and I used zip ties. OP doesn't want to use zip ties.

I have no idea how to install a hide-a-plate.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
If the OP has any sort of fabrication or mechanical skills, he could probably use some flat steel stock and bend up some bars that come through the lower center grille for the plate to bolt to.

I did this on my MkIV and loved it.

Unfortunately, my dealership drilled my bumper before I had a chance to even test drive it.

I am bummed I will have to rock the front plate. But I will rock the paper plates as long as I possibly can.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
A good thing about mounting the plate on the front bumper ABS plastic cover is that when you run into something, the plate and the holder take the hit first.:)

eyetdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat TDI Sedan
Carry the front plate in the trunk and if you are ever stopped, produce it saying the car was not equipped for the installation of a front plate, (see officer..no holes or bracket,) so I always have it with me for this reason.

I did that for years on a Porsche and I was only stopped once. No ticket, just a comment from the officer, (Il state patrol,) "we like to see what's coming at us."

(All of that was way before 911..it's a different world today. I have the front plate on the front and have grown to love it ,'cause it is in a frame that says," TDI Club..Yes, It's a Diesel.")

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I understand not wanting to drill holes in a brand new car, but unless the OP plans on moving to a state W/O front plate requirements why not just drill em and do it the right way? Or I suppose you could just throw it up on the dash and let it slide around for the next few years...

asolo

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Ummm...and how would this be different if you had purchased any other car in your state?

FILMORE

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Surprised the dealer didn't do this for you since you said you're required to have front license plates. Since they left it in the trunk, I'd bring it to their attention and have them install it that way if they screw it up - it's on the dealership!

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Turns out the plate holder was in the trunk. It still requires drilling into the bumper. I am looking alternative means to mounting the license plate.
Actually your comments sound like you are trying to avoid the law, and that is illegal. Doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to hide or fear.

You are getting married, man up, obey the law and get ready because you won't have time to focus self-centered, vanity based worries anymore once kids arrive. All that extra cash for remote controlled plates will be going to diapers.

Last edited:

zsqure

TDI
none
Don't drill holes! Go to go mini go dot com. they have a no drill license plate bracket that fits in the tow hook hole of the bumper (if you have one). If not you're sol. I put one on my '12 Beetle. If they do not have one, call them they will walk you through to find out if an existing one will fit, or have you measure for a new product offering and maybe a little discount. They are 50-60 bucks but you don't drill in your plastic bumper.:D

silvrmax04

TDI
2012, 2015 Passat TDI SE
I too live in MD and bought mine in DE where a front tag is not required. I had the same delema, not wanting to put holes in my new car. You have to face the facts that you are keeping the car for a long time and if you dont, how are you getting rid of it. Trade in, they dont look at that. If you re-sell in MD they need the front tag anyway. Drill the holes and move on.