www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old August 25th, 2019, 15:33   #151
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dobro View Post
There's a 2012 Volt named Sparkie that the original owner got up to 477,625 miles before it developed a problem. He sold it to a shop, which found the problem, repaired it and plans to continue driving it. They tested the battery and found it degraded only 20% after all that use.
Great start.

Now bring data for about 100 Volt vehicles that have reached 200,000 miles or more and give as an average and spread of the battery degradation. Geographical diversity of these 100 vehicles would also be very helpful.
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2019, 16:29   #152
El Dobro
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 115 MPGe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikal View Post
Great start.
Now bring data for about 100 Volt vehicles that have reached 200,000 miles or more and give as an average and spread of the battery degradation. Geographical diversity of these 100 vehicles would also be very helpful.
https://www.voltstats.net/
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2019, 08:19   #153
tikal
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dobro View Post
Good deal. Thanks. I see there are 20 cars with 100K miles or more.
Old August 26th, 2019, 08:23   #154
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Someone posted here recently that driving an EV is like driving a TDI with the low fuel light on all the time. Not really accurate as EV ranges have increased, but it's not that far off.

There are a lot of things I like about my MKIV TDI, but near the top of the list is the range between fills. Once you get used to 700+ miles on every fill, with some over 800, it's hard to go back to even the 500 per tank my GSW delivers. I would not enjoy recharging every 200 or so miles. And before someone posts "just plug it in at night," I have a 275 gallon over the road diesel tank with a pump at my house. So I can refill at home...in 5 min or less.
I had my daughter and her fiancé in my truck the other day. He asked what my DTE range was because from where he was sitting it looked like I was running on E. I still had about 150 miles left on the tank and had already driven about 400. He just bought a 19 taco with the 4 banger. I think he struggles to get over 350 miles per tank with all city driving.
Old August 26th, 2019, 12:47   #155
El Dobro
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 115 MPGe

Quote:
Good deal. Thanks. I see there are 20 cars with 100K miles or more.
That list represents roughly 2% of Volt production, so I'm sure there's a lot more high mileage ones out there.
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2019, 12:51   #156
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Regardless of what anyone says, I can't agree that the Volt is an EV. It has an internal combustion engine. Regardless of propulsion method, it can charge batteries whenever programmed to do so. That has to improve battery life.

As an aside, Colorado just adopted California's mandate to sell 5% of new cars as "electric" by 2023. That includes plug-in hybrids. Those vehicles are currently 2.6% of auto sales. Manufacturers can buy credits if they don't meet the mandate.

Last edited by IndigoBlueWagon; August 26th, 2019 at 12:57.
IndigoBlueWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2019, 18:37   #157
IXLR8
Veteran Member

I have a 02 ALH Golf, love the car and it's FE. I have 300K miles on it, but Maine winters have killed it. Due to rust through out it will no longer pass a safety inspection.
The JSW I replaced it with is a nice car, but I just can't get the same FE.
Our local taxi service has a fleet of Prius, all of them have gotten over 400K miles on them before they get replaced. I think they reported that the highest mile one they had was 475K miles. None of them had their batteries replaced before they were turned in.
My question, can the power grid handle recharging all these electric cars we are suppose to be getting?? How "clean" will all this power be that is going to be generated to charge these "clean" cars??
'02 TDI Golf, 5 spd., 298K miles -PP520, RC3+ , VNT-17, Webasto, .68 5th gear. Failed safety inspect for rust
IXLR8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2019, 18:53   #158
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

My son is driving his '02 Golf from Northampton MA to Madison WI today. Trip is just over 1,000 miles and he's doing it all in one shot. He called me at about 5 PM from near Toledo and while we were talking he said he'd stopped near Buffalo for fuel, made a rest stop near Cleveland, but he didn't want to stop again till he got home. I asked him about fuel, and he said, "oh yeah, fuel. I have 385 miles to go and a half tank. Probably too close for comfort." That's the opposite of range anxiety.
Old August 26th, 2019, 19:43   #159
marcusku
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 63/52/44

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
My son is driving his '02 Golf from Northampton MA to Madison WI today. Trip is just over 1,000 miles and he's doing it all in one shot. He called me at about 5 PM from near Toledo and while we were talking he said he'd stopped near Buffalo for fuel, made a rest stop near Cleveland, but he didn't want to stop again till he got home. I asked him about fuel, and he said, "oh yeah, fuel. I have 385 miles to go and a half tank. Probably too close for comfort." That's the opposite of range anxiety.

The TDI range sure is nice. In a Mk4 if you slowed down and didn't have a headwind you could make that on one tank!

We recently bought a Chevy Bolt for my wife and will primarily get used around town. The range is advertised as 240 miles which seems realistic with a mix of city and hwy driving. In town it would actually go much further but straight hwy going 70 the range seems to be closer to about 200 miles. Although I love my TDI it sure is a fun car to drive. It has 200 hp and you can sure tell, faster than my RC4 Mk4 Golf was.

Electric cars make a lot of sense for most people's daily driving but they will have their shortcomings for quite some time for those you put a lot of miles on or take long trips.

Last edited by marcusku; August 27th, 2019 at 05:14.
marcusku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2019, 06:07   #160
BeetleGo
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39/46, usually 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXLR8 View Post
I have a 02 ALH Golf, love the car and it's FE. I have 300K miles on it, but Maine winters have killed it. Due to rust through out it will no longer pass a safety inspection.
Our local taxi service has a fleet of Prius, all of them have gotten over 400K miles on them before they get replaced. I think they reported that the highest mile one they had was 475K miles. None of them had their batteries replaced before they were turned in.
My question, can the power grid handle recharging all these electric cars we are suppose to be getting?? How "clean" will all this power be that is going to be generated to charge these "clean" cars??
Now? No. But electric chargers, particularly high output American Tesla chargers are multiplying VERY quickly. Tesla knows that this is a crucial component to electrifying. And if your a competitor, Tesla has left the door open for other carmakers to use the same system! Few are taking this offer up.

Just wait until you can charge your car with induction (Mercedes is already offering it on their electric S Class), where you park over a charge point and the car rejuices without lugging in! It’s not far off. I intend to sell my TDI in 3-5 years for a Model Y. I love my diesel, but with induction, I will switch.
'05 5sp Golf GLS TDI - Rocket Chipped to 1.5, NB hoop style headrests, Mud Flaps, Euro style sideview mirrors (They're blind spotless!), and Koni FSD's (Talk about smoothing the bumps AND tightening the curves!!!)
Don't know how to use the search function? Click Here!
BeetleGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2019, 09:08   #161
tikal
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXLR8 View Post
As another data point regarding Priuses used as taxis (and not necessarily to contradict your information). When I traveled to Spain some few years I learned that the Pruises used in the city of Valencia were experiencing issues but I do not have specifics.
Old August 27th, 2019, 09:48   #162
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
As another data point regarding Priuses used as taxis (and not necessarily to contradict your information). When I traveled to Spain some few years I learned that the Pruises used in the city of Valencia were experiencing issues but I do not have specifics.
The Prius would not be the vehicle of choice for large taxi fleets (like nyc) if there were reliability or maintenance issues. It's not my cup of tea, but I think it's pretty hard to argue that they aren't rock solid at this point.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...parently-video
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2019, 12:12   #163
bizzle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeetleGo View Post
I intend to sell my TDI in 3-5 years for a Model Y. I love my diesel, but with induction, I will switch.
Not me, I'm waiting for the bus!
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2019, 13:58   #164
atc98002
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
Not me, I'm waiting for the bus!
Yeah, the VW Buzz would be my choice over the Model Y. But I think the Crozz will be what I end up with. Reports are now calling it the ID4x, so we'll just have to see what VW does.
2010 Routan gone, replaced with 2018 Pacifica Hybrid: other daughter has 3 kids
atc98002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2019, 14:02   #165
bizzle
Veteran Member

We'll be keeping the Treg so I'm thinking Buzz over Crozz for my family.

Not sure when we'd be driving the Treg under those conditions but if it keeps the wife happy...
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote