www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old September 12th, 2009, 11:40   #1
bluesmoker
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 highway mpg
Thumbs up Volkswagen Canada adds $1,000 incentive to Jetta Clean Diesel

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2009/0...ean-diesel.htm
bluesmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 22:25   #2
Dodoma
Veteran Member

The price of a car is a function of its sale. What we see is that the diesel Jetta is much more expensive than other gas compitators with similar equipment. Moreover, with the 3rd or 4th generation hybrids giving 50+ mpg and now becoming mainstream and their price less than the TDI, the TDI will have hard time to sell. Longitivity is not an issue as you will see that there are not that many diesels going over 300k+ miles without undergoing thru some major issues (such as having multiple timing belt changes or transmission replacement or glow plug replacement or injection pump replacement or injectors replacement). And even those that managed to reach these many miles, they have other body issues including faded paint or rust or dings, meaning it is time to replace. So it is not worth claiming that the premium is for longitivity. Without significant price reduction, VW will have a problem in selling these TDIs in large numbers. That explains why the recent federal clunker program did not result in many TDIs sales compared with Hondas, Toyota, etc.

Last edited by Dodoma; September 12th, 2009 at 22:28.
Dodoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 23:32   #3
LRTDI
Veteran Member

If they have stacks of TDIs up there, bring them south. We could use them!
LRTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 00:38   #4
Jack Frost
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTDI
If they have stacks of TDIs up there, bring them south. We could use them!
Their speedometers and other readouts are calibrated in kilometres and litres. You would have to go metric.
1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 (gone but not forgotton)
Jack Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 06:08   #5
thebigarniedog
Master of the Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Frost
Their speedometers and other readouts are calibrated in kilometres and litres. You would have to go metric.
I don't see your point . The metric system was designed for unskilled labor (i.e. people with minimum abilities that can only count to 10 and cannot handle rudimentary math ---- fractions). Since most developed countries (i.e. the US) have compulsory education in fractions --- I think we could handle it (i.e. for the right price )
When interviewed about why no diesel for the new F150, Ford responded to effect that diesel makes no sense in the 1/2 ton market. That brilliance should be repeated in every Ram 1500 eco-diesel commercial.

OCD TDICLUB MEMBER # 1
thebigarniedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 08:17   #6
bluesmoker
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 highway mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Frost
that is a simple dealer flash as the odometer and speedo are digital
bluesmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 10:29   #7
Dooglas
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '06 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 40+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodoma
Without significant price reduction, VW will have a problem in selling these TDIs in large numbers. That explains why the recent federal clunker program did not result in many TDIs sales compared with Hondas, Toyota, etc.
Actually I don't believe that was correct. I understand about 70% of VW sales during the "cash for clunkers" program were TDIs. That is substantially higher than the proportion of TDIs that VW has sold over the past year. Did they overtake Toyota and Honda in numbers of vehicles sold. Well, of course not, but that hardly tells you anything about TDIs in particular. Chrysler didn't overtake Toyota and Honda either. That had even less to do with TDIs.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 10:37   #8
k1xv
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigarniedog
I don't see your point . The metric system was designed for unskilled labor (i.e. people with minimum abilities that can only count to 10 and cannot handle rudimentary math ---- fractions). Since most developed countries (i.e. the US) have compulsory education in fractions --- I think we could handle it (i.e. for the right price )
I guess that is why most in the USA cannot understand the metric system.

I hope this was tongue in cheek.

k1xv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 11:46   #9
thebigarniedog
Master of the Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1xv
I guess that is why most in the USA cannot understand the metric system.

I hope this was tongue in cheek.
We just don't use it ... kinda like VHS Tapes .
When interviewed about why no diesel for the new F150, Ford responded to effect that diesel makes no sense in the 1/2 ton market. That brilliance should be repeated in every Ram 1500 eco-diesel commercial.

OCD TDICLUB MEMBER # 1
Old September 13th, 2009, 11:59   #10
Padrino
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigarniedog
This is very sophisticated comment... well done.
Comments and attitude like this one give the US citizen abroad bad name...trust me, I know what I am talking about. If you ever been to Europe you should know that as well.
I don't want to start a war here but please respect the rest of the world...you don't own it.
People think that mathematics must be an act of intelligence. Most likely, it is not reading your comment, perhaps you know what the Rudimentary Math is...but do you know that insulting other people is not intelligence.... more often is sigh of something else, I will let you work this one yourself.
Peace

Vivere senza rimpianti

Last edited by Padrino; September 13th, 2009 at 12:05.
Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 12:20   #11
thebigarniedog
Master of the Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino
This is very sophisticated comment... well done.
Comments and attitude like this one give the US citizen abroad bad name...trust me, I know what I am talking about. If you ever been to Europe you should know that as well.
I don't want to start a war here but please respect the rest of the world...you don't own it.
People think that mathematics must be an act of intelligence. Most likely, it is not reading your comment, perhaps you know what the Rudimentary Math is...but do you know that insulting other people is not intelligence.... more often is sigh of something else, I will let you work this one yourself.
Peace
Chill out and learn to laugh a little. Kthnxbai

OCD TDICLUB MEMBER # 1
Old September 13th, 2009, 13:22   #12
Jack Frost
Veteran Member

I went through the public school system while this country was measuring everything in imperial. The first year I went to university, physics was taught in both imperial and metric units and in subsequent years, it was taught only in metric. So I can swing either way.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both systems. However, anyone who has taken math, engineering, and physics knows that the real world of measurement is not made up of perfect fractions very often. It is a lot easier to calculate energy, pressures, and stress using a system that does not change its base value all the time.

Beside, Americans have used metric without knowing it for years. A watt of electricity is the electrical power needed to raise a newton of mass one metre in one second. No imperial units there. And did you know that our numeral system was once tablulated in Roman numerals. But it got too hard for uneducated people to calculate in without an abacus. Then someone discover Arabian cypher where a relatively unskilled person could calculate on a piece of parchment instead of an abacus. An early first desktop computational device was a piece of paper and a quill.

However, I find the imperial system more useful for cooking and machine shop work and anything that tends to exist in the form of integers and fractions. Our road system in the country is in miles and that will not change.

When American cars are imported into Canada, there are all sorts of regulations to ensure that no one gets the units mixed up and end up going 100 mph instead of 100 kph. I imagine the reverse might be true in reverse. Try explaining to a sheriff who pulled you over for on suspicion of drunk driving that the reason you were driving so slow is that your speedometer is calibrated in kilometers.
1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 (gone but not forgotton)
Jack Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 14:49   #13
chimaera
Veteran Member

Quote:
A watt of electricity is the electrical power needed to raise a newton of mass one metre in one second.
Looks like you need to do some more study on the metric system - the Newton is a unit of force - the kilogramme is the unit of mass in the metric system.

Here is NIST's summary of the SI units for reference: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/units.html
Warning: May Contain Nuts!!
chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 15:00   #14
Padrino
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimaera
Looks like you need to do some more study on the metric system - the Newton is a unit of force - the kilogramme is the unit of mass in the metric system.

Here is NIST's summary of the SI units for reference: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/units.html
That was brilliant

Enough said about the US education.
Thanks mate Irish/Scottish all the way

Vivere senza rimpianti
Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 15:52   #15
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

The speedometer/odometer calibration is a non-issue. Just plug in your vag-com cable and change the country code.

Also, metric is far easier to learn and use but I prefer to use the system of my forefathers. I draw the line at furlongs per fortnight though.

Lighten up, guys.

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote